Bad weather in Wellywood

wheels

This afternnoon I watched the blackest of Southerly Front run along the coast brushing Blenheim with a bit of Rain and wind, heading right up the rear end of Wellington. It was really really dark and swirly and we did get one roll of thunder.

TV news certainly overplayed it. We got about 20 knots for 4 minutes.

The live cameraman (in Wellington) had still conditions behind him while the weather camera in Auckland showed white caps.

Wot a joke.

JAFFA's need to get over it. Wellington Rocks:)

Hey Seafox. It cleared up real quick over here. Yeah a bit cooler. I guess winter is breathing down our necks.

Hey did you drop a lure out the back for that big fish you had in your wake??? :wink: We bread em big over here ya know. :lol:

Yep, certainly a bit of wind. Enough to knock the Etchells over at Seaview Marina

post-3203-141887157282.jpg

I believe the Business House racing at Port Nic showed some newbies how much fun sailing Wellington Harbour can be too!

They were at the top of Evans Bay when it hit, so would have been had a bit on!

The owner of this ain't going to be so happy either.

post-1348-141887157285_thumb.jpg

I was sitting in the car waiting for it to calm down a bit and had to move forward as the trolley with the waterblaster on was coming at me across the hardstand. A 1/4 sheet of plywood flew past at one point as well, so it was getting dangerous.

1/2 an hour later it was just a normal rainy Friday night.

The launch was on blocks not a mooring by the way :)

What's more, here is what the block on the down wind side did to it:

post-3203-141887157297.jpg

You can see the block at ground level has punched a block shaped hole in the hull.

Went from 15-20 Northerly to steady 50kts hitting 60kts (in Mana marina) in moments! Plenty of power in batteries from wind generator now :)

No wind at all at the moment . You never get bored with the weather in Wellie!

This from Stuff.co.nz

Maritime police were kept busy when a yacht race turned into a rescue mission as 13 boats were caught out in Wellington Harbour. Three had to be towed back to shore.

Lyttelton got 40 knots for about 20 minutes then it started clearing up.

Nedax had some damage broken window and maybe missing wind gear, Illusions had Nedax under tow and was not making way started peeling out heady, then Pilot boat took over from us we got 51.1knots on our wind gear before our masts touched! and about 2.5 - 3 metre

waves a couple of them would have been bigger!!!

"TV news certainly overplayed it. We got about 20 knots for 4 minutes."

Actual readings from Front Leading light:

1600hrs 27 kt nthly

1700hrs 70 kt sthly, gusting 82kts

1800hrs 58 kt sthly

Certainly proving difficulty to get a consensus out of Wellington, although the photos would lead me to the conclusion that something out of the ordinary came along and dumped all those boats on their sides.

Pete Wederell was right, Fiji is copping it now.

This is what we're waiting fr

Archived