Quarter Tonner Interest

So if we were to run the SP 1/4 ton cup again next year how many entries would we get?

I'd be stoked if we could get enough 1/4 tonners motivated to do the Up to 26 regatta at the end of the month- could be a good guage for measuring interest for the rebirth of the Cup next year?

As for entries...well the lisitng on race track would be a good starting point from an active boats persepctive...

http://www.racetrack.org.nz/category.php?categoryid=10

Didn’t see a rig. There was a boom and some sails though. It looked like it had been fixed keel and then converted to a lifter at some point.

No chancce you caught the name?

Nah, it didn't have any visible name. But it looked very Davidson or Whiting like. It's possibly had another 500mm added to the transom at some stage. I doubt if it's been in the water for about 10 years.

WORLD ¼ TON CHAMPS 1980

¼ ton sailing started at PYBC in 1973 when John Bennett and Jim Walter looked at the possibility of hosting an event for the Tauranga ¼ Ton Cup Trophy. This was sailed over Easter 1973, with a fleet of displayment boats Wagstaff designs Gumdiger and Apollo and several SS24s, 727 and Fantizpants, being sponsored by Taubmans Paints and continued on as the annual NZ championships for the PGH Trophy which culminated in the sending of MAGIC BUS, skippered by Paul Whiting and Murray Ross to Corpus Christi, Texas, USA where they won the world championship. This gave New Zealand the right to host the next World Series.

In 1979 John Bennett moved that the PYBC hold the World Champs and a committee was formed consisting of:

CHAIR - C Bennett, SEC - K Haughey, COMMITTEE - J Snell, L Giles, J Bennett, M Watson, J Dickson, J Fowler, K Warnock, P Cross, K Cowan. CLASS REPRESENTATIVES - M Tremain, B Beetson. The date set for 20th November to 30th November 1980. The Committee had the task of notifying the countries of this event and dates of entries and races.

A series of races to select reps for NZ Challengers started on 25th October till last race 31st October 1980 where there were 15 starter entries. Most of them went on to compete in the world event. Bob Graham’s BASHFUL was chartered by an Australian and STRAWBERRY LETTER was chartered to a French crew.

ANCHOR CHALLENGE KZ4420 B THOM

BLACK FUN KZ3311 G GIBSON

BLUEBERRY KZ4439 H SMITH

CHIEF WEASEL 4453 R FIELD

DELIRIUM 2768 J DOUGLAS

HATCHWAY HUMMER KZ4223 N WHITCOMBE

HELLABY 4320 J LASHER

HOME GROWN 2959 M MOLONEY

HOT NUMBER 4274 V NEWLOVE

MRS PREMIER PLASTICS 3951 K PEARCEY

PINTO 2163 W GAIR

POSH RAT 3882 B BAX

RIGHT ON 2445 H TREBTSCH

RUSSELL PUMPER 3268 D PYE

SAMSON KZ3524 H DODSON

SMOKY JOE 3650 J WAKEFIELD

STRAWBERRY LETTER 3642 W RADFORD

TRINITY 3942 J WILLIAMS

The New Zealand series was won by ANCHOR EXPRESS skippered by Roy Dickson and crewed by Barry Thom, A Cleave, B De Fluiter. The final World Series was won by BULLET representing France. Bullet is still sailing in Tahiti.

HAs anyone got any old pics of the local 1/4 tonners from during this time?

I'd be quite curious to see what my boat looked like back then.

Someone must have something in the Archive that could be scanned?

Got a photo of Sweat Hog Whiting 1/4 ton with a non ior rig in her hayday early 80's some where will try and find it and any others, but working this weekend so will look after that.

There several QT's sitting on piles at Napier, I will try and get some names of the boats.

From what I have heard there was quite a big fleet down here until one owner could not stand been beaten and up sized to a 1/2 tonner and that started the arms race in Napier, bigger the better.

Now all the boats just sit on the piles and marina berths and looking sad.

There several QT's sitting on piles at Napier, I will try and get some names of the boats.

From what I have heard there was quite a big fleet down here until one owner could not stand been beaten and up sized to a 1/2 tonner and that started the arms race in Napier, bigger the better.

Now all the boats just sit on the piles and marina berths and looking sad.

The green one is Sweat Hog.

Some old photos from 1980 Sweat Hog, Hot Number and Winklepicker correct me if im wrong

What a way out design Winklepicker is or was.

Is she still around?

Who was responsible for the design?

Some old photos from 1980 Sweat Hog, Hot Number and Winklepicker correct me if im wrong

What a way out design Winklepicker is or was.

Is she still around?

Who was responsible for the design?

Looks like the lovechild of a Spencer Stelleto and an International 6m! :lol:

Would be interesting to hear some more on this design and more crazy IOR beasts

This is us last year at Cowes Week. We chartered Diamond and raced in the QT division.

As a result of this, we bought Black Fun, are currently doing her up and will ship her over in a container next year. The idea is to do the whole season, getting different people to come in and do various regattas.

We have also jacked up a boat for the QTC and Round the Island race this year.

post-787-141887157688_thumb.jpg

Winklepicker

Harold ???? designed it he also design a trailersailer HOT POT class which were GRP and built by Peter Mills for a while

I did the rig for Winklepicker cira 1979

Toles is coming down to Panmure to look at the scrap books of the 1980 regatta Anyone interested in a reuion of QT's sailers please drop me a E to info@sparloft.co.nz or info@pybc.org.nz

there is a Whiting, (Qantel) that will be coming up for sale at the club

John Bennett

Rear Com PYBC ex QT owner Expendable and Homebrew

Archived