Boom Replacement

Kaihe Atamai

Had a fun race yesterday in the gusty 35kn E save for the last 0.5mi in which we snapped the boom and cracked the self-tacker track in half.

Boat is a Ross 830 - boom is 4m section (402cm), section is essentially a 80mm OD tube (~0.3mm wall thickness) with a track on the top (that we don't use).

I'd like to get racing again in two weeks - which means fixing the self-tacker or sorting a new jib setup (we can rig a work around for this in the next two weeks, so not as urgent) AND getting a replacement boom.

So I'd be interested if anyone has an appropriate spare 4m boom for sale or knows where I can source a 4m long 80mm OD aluminum tube. I can transfer the fittings myself or employ a rigger if they have the time - I've already contacted Grant Jenkins and he's looking into spares but can't do the work himself.

Have you got any photos of the old boom? What fittings are transferable? Or are they all welded together?

I Have a source that might be able to get the tube in and if the fittings are transferable i may be able to build it for you before next week. Will so some scouting around and see what i can find. Otherwise if you get stuck i would have thought there were a few boats around we can borrow a boom from. What day do you race in two weeks time? If im not using my boat you could probably borrow my boom of the SR.

If you email me what details you have at marshy69@gmail.com i will take a looksy.

Cheers

Marshy

Have you got any photos of the old boom? What fittings are transferable? Or are they all welded together?

I Have a source that might be able to get the tube in and if the fittings are transferable i may be able to build it for you before next week. Will so some scouting around and see what i can find. Otherwise if you get stuck i would have thought there were a few boats around we can borrow a boom from. What day do you race in two weeks time? If im not using my boat you could probably borrow my boom of the SR.

If you email me what details you have at marshy69@gmail.com i will take a looksy.

Cheers

Marshy

It seems to be an old Ronstan section (very similar to Baverstock 10 save for some extrusion marks along the sides) - basically a 79mm OD tube with a boltrope track on top. This break has made me realize that this section is a bit too flexible for how I use the boat and I'll probably try to upgrade to a stiffer section now or later.

All of the fittings are transferable.

I'm leaning toward getting the break joined back together with a cuff (current offer to do so on a short timeline by John from Sparloft). This would at least get me back on the water and I can look into getting a stiffer section made up or find a used one that's appropriate. I hear BumpnGrind is considering an upgrade?

The offer of using yours is noted - thanks. It would probably wonder why it's going so slow :) I'm racing the Richmond winter series (Sunday).

i used an ullrich 100mm tube to make a boom for my NOVA 28 when living in nelson a few years back-most fittings were scavenged from the old one which was too short for my new main. it worked fine and looked ok. mind you, i wasn't racing in 35kn!

cheers patch

On the side you could go and see John Haycock at "The Flagpole Company" in East Tamaki if no one else can do it in time. He used to be a rigger and now builds flagpoles, but has all the rollers and etc to make mint tubes, its where my tube came from along with some piedy booms. He still does some good fabrication work cheap and fast.

Update on this - John Bennet (sparloft) put the existing mast back together and will have the new track fabricated (ordered and bent) early next week. He's been great to work with, and as you mentioned, speedy.

So that's sorted - thanks for the advice along the way - I'll probably need to use all of it if the winter series carries on the way it started.

Archived