BMW Cup

Can somwone advise how Phil Robertson, William Tiller and Peter Vause qualified for this series. I thought you had to be a divisional winner form the BMW regatta to qualify for a place in the BMW Cup?

Looks like it was great sailing over the weekend and the Waka boys will be great reps for the upcoming BMW world series.

Peter would have qualified from a series that was run by Port Nic Yacht club to select a representative from Wellington.

It was run in the Wellington MRX fleet.

Hmm yes, Turnbull on line, with Robertson taking it on general handicap - how that worked, I do not know, given that both were in the event. I am going to stop guessing now.

You want to try and pick how Mr Tiller got in!

Might have been compensation for being protested out of the Y88s while not quite winning.

Someone should ask the Bucks boys, they are sure to know.

I see this is a conspiracy theory-laden topic. Explanations are available if you go looking, over to you whether you find them believable. Again from the Squaddy site:

Robertson, a graduate of the Youth Training Programme, beat the Youth Programme team helmed by William Tiller 3 - 1 in the final

However they got there, it does seem that they had the right stuff.

not really into conspiracy theories but was surpirsed to see who made up the qualifying series as I thought youu had to win a division of the BMW regatta to make it.

What we ahve here is a semi pro team coming through via general handicap, what was the handicap based on the regular Slipstream GHC?

Don't the 88's use PHRF?

A Wellington sailer based on a qualifier in Wellington, was the same opportunity afforded yachties from Dunedin, Christchurch, Nelson, Napier, Tauranga. BOI, Mangonui, New Plymmouth etc?

William Tiller??

Maybe there is a conspiracy!!??

I just received this

2010 BMW AUCKLAND REGATTA

26 – 28 FEBRUARY, 2010

Thanks to all boats who competed in the BMW Auckland Regatta 2010. There were three days of intense, challenging and close racing.

The following teams went on from the regatta to sail in the BMW Sailing Cup held 13-14 March:

Division A: Power Play

Division B: Higher Ground

Division C: Azure

Division D: Cool Change

Division E: Tiaoga Iti

Y88 Division: Danger Zone

Royal Port Nic Yacht Club – invitation team from Wellington

Slipstream (Y88), by invitation from Organising Authority

Sister Moonshine (Y88) by invitation from Organising Authority

Congratulations toPhil Robertson who won the New Zealand BMW Sailing Cup. Phil and his crew of Garth Ellingham, Sam Bell, Logan Fraser and Brad Farrand progress to the BMW World Sailing Cup to be sailed in Auckland later this month.

BMW SAILING CUP WORLD FINAL (MARCH 22 – 25)

The winners of the New Zealand BMW Sailing Cup will go on to represent New Zealand at the BMW Sailing Cup World Final, to be contested in Auckland for the first time ever as the climax of the 2010 Auckland Festival of Sailing. The prestigious regatta for amateur sailors, is organized by BMW to the standards of the highest professional regattas.

New Zealand are the current holders of the BMW Sailing World Cup after Roger Pagani and his Triple 8 crew won the 2009 event at Lake Garda, Italy. International crews are now confirmed from Germany, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Spain and Hong Kong.

The Auckland Regatta Trust continues to work towards providing a regatta consisting of great sailing and events off the water. We welcome any feedback from sailors to ensure the event continues to grow and meet your expectations. For feedback please complete enquiry form on www.bmwaucklandregatta.co.nz.

Support our Sponsors

Along with BMW, our Principal Partner, BMW Auckland Regatta thanks the following sponsors for their generosity and support with the event:

Key sponsors: KPMG, Auckland City Council, Manukau City Council

Official Clothing Supplier: Musto

Divisional sponsors: OKI, Yanmar – Whiting Power Systems, North Sails, Mount Gay Rum, BSP Design

Support sponsors: Yachting New Zealand, Southern Cross Healthcare, Wind Warrior Yachts

Makes me curious as to why the winning multis weren't represented - two divisions, and I guess they just gave up on IRC??

In my own uninformed muddled thinking Dirty Deeds should have been there.

Or maybe the multi dudes are just so use to having boats that just go quick as standard, they have lost the required skills and are scared they can't make a boat go fast enough to compete :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Or maybe every time a leadswinger leans over they can't stop instinctively dropping the mainsheet so they don't capsize.... again :?

Or maybe it's case of them knot being used to boats that don't have parts flying off them or breaking every 2 minutes :shock:

Or it could be just as simple as they have yet to learn the art of pouring a good rum while on a 25 degree heal :lol:

I have more :wink:

Before we get yet another deluge of monophobia, I am joking.

Or maybe the multi dudes are just so use to having boats that just go quick as standard, they have lost the required skills and are scared they can't make a boat go fast enough to compete :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Or maybe every time a leadswinger leans over they can't stop instinctively dropping the mainsheet so they don't capsize.... again :?

Or maybe it's case of them knot being used to boats that don't have parts flying off them or breaking every 2 minutes :shock:

Or it could be just as simple as they have yet to learn the art of pouring a good rum while on a 25 degree heal :lol:

I have more :wink:

I get seasick sailing on Pig rooters !

Before we get yet another deluge of monophobia, I am joking.

I did take me a bit to figure out what you did.

Does anyone have any real reason why the multi lads did get a crack or did they but just declined? I do know there are mutli sailors on this forum, who while primarily sailing multis at the time, have won Nat titles in monos at the same time. So I'm knot thinking the 'they just can't sail monos' angle.

I know the issue with Laurie and Lucifer was the fact the neither him nor most of his crew aren’t amateur which obviously makes them ineligible.

You would be amazed at the number of yachties in Auckland that are considered professional sailors under the ISAF regulations which cuts a large percentage of crew out of this regatta.

Also I know a few of the multi guys weren't available to sail so that cuts a few more options out.

Would have been good to see a multi rep there.

Archived