VOR

Latest news is the course will go from Cape Town to Abu Dhabi. WTF. I guess they have decided there will be no semblance of an intelligent RTW race, this is now just a fund raising rally for the sponsors. We'll see some paid hands on some cool boats take forever to wander their way around the planet.

At each port the uninitiated will wander down to the docks to have a look , and the media machine will pump out lots of hype which will be gobbled up by mainstream outlets coz they are lazy and it will be handed to them on a plate.

Meanwhile sailors will go race their sport boats or multihulls or become cruisers.

Just my idle thoughts.

I don't think that's very fair. Sponsors will always want their moneys worth (obviously), but a 30,000+nm offshore race (albeit with a bit of port hopping in Europe) on 70' monsters is a great thing that couldn't be achieved without them. Shouldn't the sailing community be thanking the UAE for not only supporting the event as a port, but also entering a team?

There's nothing that even comes close to the VOR at the moment. I'll be following it, as will most sailors I'm guessing.

Didn't follow it much last time, wont bother much this time.

The boats are cool

The sailors are cool

The course is f*ckin stupid.

It used to be a 'round the world race', so I spose if we throw away that premise, its now a series of races that are between ports around the world, it is OK.

The vendee globe is a far more 'pure' race, and as such, attracts a huge following of sailors (especially on the internet)

Agree with Clipper. The Vende and the Portafino (?? the class 40 one) are far more interesting.

The Volvo seems to have developed into a series of sprint races designed by a marketing team. Sure it's still some interest but isn't what it used to be, for some viewers at least.

nah i think that the last one was average, but there is a seriously good team in charge of the VOR (imo), and they are getting it back on track. They have been making the right noises, so hopefully the learn from the last one.

I think that to get it on track - a four leg race around the world via the great capes. Anything less and I'm sorry.

Shorter stops in port, less crew swapping, winner by cumulative times i.e. - you have to sail the whole course to win.

I think that to get it on track - a four leg race around the world via the great capes. Anything less and I'm sorry.

Shorter stops in port, less crew swapping, winner by cumulative times i.e. - you have to sail the whole course to win.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think I have the clap. :oops:

Word has it that that Swiss w^&#$@r Bertarelli now wants to enter the VOR, but (in true-to-form fashion) with the demand that the Gulf emirate of Ras al-Khaimah be anounced as a port in the race. I also hear (from sources deep within the VOR camp) that he is leveraging his influence on a major sponsor to get his way.

All together now: "w^&#$@r!"

He might have just found his soul mates with the organizers of the VOR.

Extraction of cash seemingly being more important than preservation of the events history.

The call needs to be modified to "Wankers".

Archived