Fiji Race

Recreational Marine Forecast: Auckland

Valid to: 12:00am 3 June 2011

Issued: 4:57am 2 June 2011

Warning: Strong wind advisory in force for all areas

Situation: A strong east to northeast flow is expected to develop over the area today and remains until Sunday. On Sunday, a trough will move north over the country.

Forecast:

For Manukau and Waitemata Harbours:

Thursday: Southeast 15 knots, rising to easterly 20 knots this morning and to 25 knots gusting 35 knots this evening. Slight sea becoming moderate this morning and rough this evening. Cloudy periods.

For Hauraki Gulf and for Bream Head to Cape Colville:

Thursday: Southeast 20 knots, rising to easterly 25 knots gusting 35 knots this afternoon and to 30 knots gusting 40 knots this evening. Moderate sea becoming rough this afternoon. Cloudy periods with fair visibility in a few showers developing this morning.

Outlook:

Friday: Rising to northeast 30 knots but 40 knots about the Outer Gulf in the morning. Showers, mainly about the Gulf, turning to widespread rain at night.

Saturday: Northeast 30 knots but 40 knots about Outer Gulf. Rain.

Sunday: Easing to northerly 15 knots. Rain easing to a few showers.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

They'll be spewin' by Tiri :sailor:

I see even the punters are now falling into 'It's all about the glamours only' mode like many YC's seem to have.

The race started before this thread did.

Yep, cruising boats left yesterday. They'll be doing it tough for the next few days
I suggested they were cruisers last time this came up..... and then got promptly lambasted for doing so. Tread carefully ;)

I'd say it's a number of things not just one single thing.

The hassle of compliance would be a major along with the costs involved and the time off work, getting crew who can also get the time off work and once your there you still have to get the boat back.

The chances of good close racing is pretty slim. Must be more..

18-odd crews who have organised the boats and gear, time off work and families, accommodation and airfares etc in this state of the economy - it doesn't sound too bad to me. More than I could have managed at the moment anyway.

Archived