Fiji Race

I'm keen as a bean to race to the Islands, just this one is a bit soon.

I don't think the cat 1 requirements are too outrageous, even if I disagree with the concept.. Having a Sat phone instead of SSB made things a lot cheaper and easier to comply...

That Noumea race is looking great, and I have 12 months to arrange time off and get enough cash in the bank to cover it..

Hopefully work dates are going to fit in with Simrad and other races, so I can get in the groove.

I think many of you guys are in the "been there done that" catagory, so maybe it's no big deal, but for newbies like me, it's a great adventure, not to mention the party at the end with the frogs and aussies..

Are you all a bit jaded??

"Are you all a bit jaded??"

A BIT?!?!???

I've done nothing much else apart from race boats since 1973....

( You'd think I'd be better at it......... :problem: )

Time.

Cost is an issue in owning a boat at all. Time is the real obstacle for me. Hoping to have much more of that soon.

Back in the day these places were more exotic, rarer and more expensive places to visit, so a blast up in a yacht to explore in would have been attractive.

Now you can fly up and stay in a resort for a week for $1500, or race your boat up for 15k. And race yachts are not so suitable for extended cruising.

Still, how many boats for a division? any other 1020s interested in going offshore?

Still, how many boats for a division? any other 1020s interested in going offshore?

I'd come out to play with you Bogan.

THE NEW ZEALAND INTERNATIONAL YACHTING TRUST AUCKLAND TO MUSKET COVE OCEAN RACE 2011

Saturday 4th June 2011

The Musket Cove Race Committee and Commodore of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron have today delayed the start of the 2011 NZL International Yachting Trust Auckland to Musket Cove Ocean Race by 24 hours.

With consistent nor’east winds of 40 knots on the start line and a steady 50 knots at Tutakaka, Ross Masters, Commodore of the RNZYS in conjunction with Simon Griffiths, Lieutenant Commander of HMNZS Wellington agreed the only decision to be made was to delay the start by 24 hours.

Emirates Team New Zealand endorsed this decision. Grant Dalton commented “The forecast is such that the RNZYS has taken the safety of the fleet as its primary responsibility and has totally made the correct judgement.”

The forecast for tomorrow is predicted to be a gentle 10 knots north east. The race will start from the Northern Leading Area at midday, Sunday 5th June 2011.

Once again the heavy displacement boats get shafted.

Cotton Blossm and Wildcard would love this breeze. :thumbup:

The committee could have started the race. Those skippers not happy to start could wait in Westhaven till they feel safe.

Once again the heavy displacement boats get shafted.

Cotton Blossm and Wildcard would love this breeze. :thumbup:

The committee could have started the race. Those skippers not happy to start could wait in Westhaven till they feel safe.

In reality, is there much likelihood of that happening? I would have some sympathy if the committee's expectation was that all boats start, some boats/people get broken, rescues, helicopters, media, blah blah blah. Hard to responsibly/defensibly fire a gun when all the way up the track, the marine forecasts begin with "Gale Warning".

4.2 Category 1

Passage or races of long distances and well offshore, where

yachts must be completely self‑sufficient for extended periods

of time, capable of withstanding storms and prepared to

meet serious emergencies without the expectation of outside

assistance.

I was all geared up to watch the start, had brekka at HQ (the Vodafone boys were there too) then saw Squid's delay post. Maybe try again tomorrow...

Let's face it 40+ on the nose isn't fun. It's supposed to be fun.

Oh yes, it's a test of seamanship and skill, blah blah, but I'd rather start dry.

I heartily endorse their decision. To send a fleet off to sail North on a lee shore would be nuts. Also to say the heavy displacement boats are being shafted is also nuts. If we are caught out in these conditions, hopefully we manage, but it is not clever to push your luck.

We had gales a day after the start in 56 and 66, no one was drowned but in '56 Aoma rolled 360 degrees and crept home weeks later under jury rig. In '66 Tatariki crew were taken off by HMS Endeavour before she sank. We were able to keep racing but it wasn't all that pleasant.

Trying to remember the damage toll from last time - Bullrush and Revs both back to Opua, the first dismasted and the second with mast damage. Probably didn't make for a better contest in the 40-footers and if cost is a disincentive to taking part, all those non-refundable flights home and accommodation that never got used wouldn't have been a plus for the crews.

I was all geared up to watch the start, had brekka at HQ (the Vodafone boys were there too) then saw Squid's delay post. Maybe try again tomorrow...

Time to change your location and signature AC!! :D

... and in reality, if Chris Nicholson from Camper is to be believed, it sounds like a pretty much all the way uphill race (and home again) so the Northland boats should be good as gold in the competitive stakes no matter how hard it's blowing?

You're also assuming that the crews and boats will handle that much weather and make ground instead of taking it easy and keeping the shiny side up until it abates enough to step on the gas?

You might be thinking Noumea 2009 Murky, recollection is that most of the fleet took shelter.

Last year I think wasn't quite so dramatic though I have a vague impression that the early boats (Farrago and Cheetah) got a pasting and again took shelter.

I see some heavy hitters supporting this decision but I wonder where we have got to with Ocean racing.

This is one of the few truly blue water races left on the planet and we can't leave the dock in 30 kts?

The forecast is for an ease by this evening (25kts) and a big ease about midnight (18-20kts) so the fleet would have tough conditions (given they will be within the gulf for most of it) for 6-8 hours?!?

Yes there is a lee shore (depending on when the wind backs) but it not going to have a major sea running while within the gulf and should be very manageable.

Isi bay is about 8 minutes from the start for those who want to sit it out until there is an ease.

Yep nobody leaves the dock willingly in 30 kts, it is a major reason why I go racing, because we get pushed out in conditions that we wouldn't mormally want any part of, it part of the upskilling that racing provides and makes my family cruising much safer, it also ensures my boat is up to spec and i know how to handle tough conditions when we get caught out.

These are ocean capable yachts that are about to head off on an 1100nm ocean voyage, if my boat couldn't handle the conditions that would be encountered over the next 12 hours i would rather it broke here than find similar conditions halfway up the course and it broke then.

If we keep to these standards we are going to have a problem in the years ahead when an ocean race gets into adverse conditions halfway up the course and boats and crews will not have the experience to deal with it...we saw a bit of that on the recent 2 handed RNI, in that case shelter and help were close to hand, and all thise boats and crews are now much safer for the experience

Hay Squid,

I reckon the Squadron has just halved the cost of CAT 1. Wont need half that gear now ocean going race boats don't actually need to sail in all weather.

While I'm sure the crews are releived, its a bit of a surprise for the RNZYS to postpone this. It is a moderating forecast and there are numerous safe close anchorages to park up in post start, including Izzy Bay, the worst of the weather would have had the fleet in or around the Huaraki Gulf. It is called the Auckland to Musket Cove OCEAN Race.

There may be an issues with Customs there? Whats that really stupid rule, if you drop anchor after clearing out, you have to go and clear out all over again? That would make parking up post start a bit of a hassle. Combine that with the damage from the last race (Noumea?) and the inability to get descent publicity photos of the start...

Archived