Auckland - Musket Cove Ocean Race 2011 - Race Reports

Mothership

The Pretty Boy and Anon txts were from us chasing them or the other way around really as I had a spare 90kph still up my sleeve ready to roll out if required ;)

The PBF team seem to be full of beans and stayed real high which looked to be doing them a pile of good, also Go was up there.

Camper and VB were close together as the wind went right a bit and softened then Camper unrolled a massive Code 0 and what a hell difference that made. Rolled back over VB in no time and off they went into the Whangaparoa coast then tacked out. VB tacked out earlier and looked to be going outside Tiri but didn't. That move looked to have given Camper a bigger gap. Man that Code 0 being rolled out was just like someone starting a V8 downstairs, a huge and very sudden speed gain. Quite impressive indeed and VB had squat to counter it by the looks.

Lion was looking good but the wind died along with their speed. The rest were in a tightish bunch entering Tiri passage. Nitro was moving and on the tail end of that bunch, probably close to 2nd last on the water at the time but getting themselves togeather. The 55fter Flying Cloud is probably knot yet at tiri passage and it's now 5pm. They stayed in by the Bays coast and there was just no wind. They were ghosting along at best and a long way behind the rest. I suspect it needs a decent breeze to get up and boogie.

Limp as out there and a haze setting in and the odd shower so I doubt it'll be a fast night. Also no bloody fish.

But all crews we spoke to seemed happy and looking forward to the trip. Go well everyone.

Start Pictures:

I heard that the Squaddie were using their new technology for the starting sequence. Here he is in action.

Young Jack, to the right of the burgees, called (well barked) VF as being over at the start! :lol:

5802726449_c6506b9b56.jpg

VF heading back to cross the start line.

5802738357_765845b7a5.jpg

So was Vodaboat over at the start, reorientating their fluxgate, picking up a dropped beer or just doing a random crazy Ivan??

Was great to see th boats off, And was great to see how many boats were out to see them off! There were a heap of boats there supporting

So was Vodaboat over at the start, reorientating their fluxgate, picking up a dropped beer or just doing a random crazy Ivan??

Unfortunately Team Vodafone was over the start

Was great to see th boats off, And was great to see how many boats were out to see them off! There were a heap of boats there supporting
Totally agree, a very good sized crowd for a change, some of which followed the boats just about to Tiri. We started to but the wind dropped and the TV showed fish, but it was lieing. Looks like Nth Head had a fair few punters watching also.

We do seem to be quite slack on with going out to watch events. I went out to watch the BMW sail off and was very surprised to find I was the only spectator I could see. That was a tad sad really as it was a good watch. Seen that at a few events thinking about it.

Ah so VB was over, can't have been by much though.

Heard from the boys on Vision.... 4 days of 50-60 knots... boat has taken bit of a hammering, but all on board are ok.

Main issues have been loss of windgear thus no autopilot, loss of water maker, loss of mainsheet block and ongoing engine issues as well as losing the backstay

Must have been pretty bad as this boat has sailed the Pacific Ring and all the way down to Antartica. Its a seriously well managed and well set up boat.

These multi things are slow.

Camper doing 5.5kts in 2.90 of wind

Vodaboat doing 8.4kts in 2.5 of wind.

Makes VB look OK doesn't it but then we go to Wired doing 8.3kts with only 0.9 kts of wind.

And as it is on the interweb it must be true :lol: :lol:

I think there maybe some differential time lags in that Yellowbrick thing.

Archived