Auckland - Musket Cove Ocean Race 2011 - Race Reports

Mothership

Guys, where are there the provisional results on the web? I have found the live tracker, but would like to see where they sit on handicap

Thanks

From Zoe

Destination Fiji update – 1600hrs Tuesday NZST

The first 48 hours of the New Zealand International Yachting Trust Auckland to Musket Cove Ocean Race have been ultra frustrating for TeamVodafoneSailing, which is now sailing at a boatspeed of about 5 knots, on a heading of 000 degrees.

First up, heavy conditions led to a delayed race start that cost the fast boat the opportunity to get a jump on very light conditions.

Then, because of the boat’s extreme performance characteristics, they opted to sail well East of the rest of the fleet.

“We saw very good gains by going East at the start of the race,” says weather expert Jon Bilger of PredictWind.com. “Initially the two PredictWind forecasts and the CMC forecast had the high moving slowly off to the east.”

At this point, they knew it was a risky strategy but hoped that TeamVodafoneSailing could catch the edge of the high – but the high moved off slightly quicker than expected.

“TeamVodafone has outstanding speed when reaching in light to moderate wind, whilst Camper is very quick upwind in light winds. We discussed it was a risk to leave the rest of the fleet, but as TeamVodafone has such different performance characteristics it would be worth the risk to sail their own race,” says Bilger.

The rest of the fleet, including the new Volvo 70, Camper, now about 100nm in front of TeamVodafoneSailing, chose to sail the direct north Rhumbline course. Bilger says that the same routing program and forecast also showed this to be the best option for these boats.

The light, upwind conditions have been ideal for Camper, but are expected to change very soon.

The nine sailors onboard TeamVodafoneSailing include Owner and Skipper Simon Hull, Boat Captain Kevin Peet, Navigator Patrick O'Reilly, Paul (Casper) Murray, Stu (Disco) MacKinven, Ollie Scott-Mackie, Selby Howard, Paul O'Reilly, and Guy Hewson.

Fiji is the boat’s first stop in an offshore calendar that will take in the Sydney to Gold Coast Race, the RQYC Brisbane to Keppel Race, the Airlie Beach Race Week, and Hamilton Island Race Week, before TeamVodafoneSailing returns to New Zealand for the Coastal Classic and the New Zealand summer racing season.

TeamVodafoneSailing is also supported by Line 7, Predictwind.com, Seatrade, Fusion, Harken, Fineline, B&G, Steinlager, Safety at Sea and Wilde Media.

Followers can watch TeamVodafoneSailing and view live data on her live Predictwind.com tracker at http://www.teamvodafonesailing.co.nz.

Guest Rocket

Looks like Camper has parked for the night. Good battle between the Benes with Notorious slipping by OF as we speak.

A little surprised VB hasn't carried on east - looks like wind out there in a day or so - scary though - will be running out of food. Paddy must be looking quite tasty about now...

At least another slow day in front of them - will be tuff.

so now the race begins, VTS has now closed the gap from 166nm to 146nm from Camper and Wired is now only 34nm behind Camper

Pretty Boy still holding on and doing well :thumbup:

just a pity the weather is not current but good to see all boats on the one screen at last

Guys, where are there the provisional results on the web? I have found the live tracker, but would like to see where they sit on handicap

Thanks

If you go to the tracker there is a leader board and you can look at the handicap standings I RC phrf etc.

If anyone is interested, I just ran some routes and have the 70 finishing about 1500 on the 9th with the 60 about an hour and a half later.

If anyone is interested, I just ran some routes and have the 70 finishing about 1500 on the 9th with the 60 about an hour and a half later.

Very interested. Would that be Expedition as in, THE software...

VB just tacked, now what?

Call starboard on PBF ??

I think Vodafone saw the edge of the world and decided to tack back to safety.

If they went any further east, they would have disappeared off the edge of the yelllowbrick map.

So, this morning's routing is somewhat quicker with Camper finishing between 2100 and 2200 on the 8th and Vodafone between 2200 and 2300.

It is definitely still worth a dig west for both boats if they get a chance, but one doesn't always get a chance.

I just can't figure out why the Tri went east. Just something one would never do in this situation. Very odd.

post-50-141887182672.jpg

Archived