Best Outboard well design.....

About to bang a 15HP in a well in the Energy (E7.4).

Lots of reasons - weight off the transom and in the right place, prefer having something to climb over to get down the main hatch rather than having the cockpit and open transom running right through to the cabin in a following sea. And of course the added traction of not having an outboard popping in and out of the water in short chop. My 8HP on the transom finally died on the way to the start of last Simrad and is sadly not coming back. RIP Yammy 8HP, 20 good years of service, shame about all the pricks that never washed you out for the first 18 years or you would still be going strong.

Sooo.. any pics/links to good designs you have seen would be appreciated!

Cheers

EE

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... try3346720

http://www.wdschock.com/boats/schock40/motor_b.php

Also there is a forum somewhere in the Sailing Anarchy Flying tiger thing about how they did it, what worked and what didnt.

Alot of their sportboats have them with photos around the place, so as much as it pains Squid to say this, Do a search over in SA and see what crops up. Personally i reckon on a boat that size its more trouble than its worth, and on mercenary we have the long shaft 15hp hanging off the back, never comes out of the water and we motor everywhere at 8 knots! Its mint, but then we have the lighter 5hp to put on for racing so its easy to take it off the back and put downstairs.

Feck me dead with a petrol station, EE and Marshy seem to be closet MacGregor 26 wanna be owners. 15hp you have to be kidding.

Go with 8hp hi-thrust Yammy 4 strokes lads, especially EE if it's in a further forward well.

My old, way way old, 9.9hp Hi-thrust 4 stroke pushes us happily at over 8kts in flat water with a clean bum. Once coming home thru the Motohie Channel into a nasty outgoing tide and LOTs of wind on the beak we still happily motored thru at 5kts, all the other boats there, inc 2 88's, all were struggling even if still making headway. Fuel consumption is incredibly good. Average cruise using feck all gas is 6.5-7kts.

We also use a even older 8hp 2-stroke sometimes. That gets us along at 7kts flat water clean bum, while screaming it's ring piece out. Bit shite in crap on the nose and thirsty as YY on a good day. 0 - 5kts in 2000mts. 5 to 0kts at full throttle in 6 to 8 kilometres :) Average cruise probably 5.5-6kts in nice weather, wouldn't want to have to go any distance especially in yucky weather.

I've sussed deep and my new motor will be a Yammy 8hp Hi-thrust. Will do just as well as the 9.9 but nearly 18kg lighter.

You fit 15hp's and I will start referring to you as the fizz nastie wanna be MacGregor twins. ;)

Pretty sure Gappy has posted here previously about what they did with Karma, which from memory was pretty slick.

He will pop up in due course. :thumbup:

You fit 15hp's and I will start referring to you as the fizz nastie wanna be MacGregor twins. ;)

Hey KM I went to school with some McGregor twins - probably even the same school as you but a few years later. You would definitely remember if you had met them and would not be suggesting that as an insult today.

Feck me dead with a petrol station, EE and Marshy seem to be closet MacGregor 26 wanna be owners. 15hp you have to be kidding.

Wash your mouth out KM :-P SR26's only have one speed and thats fast! Christmas cruising with the boomtent up, towing a dinghy and motoring at 7.5 knots cruising makes the trip back from the barrier very nice! And overtaking the 1050's and 40 footers motoring back from Coastal last year was pearler!

KM - the 15HP only weighs 10kgs more than the 8HP I have just binned and will only be ticking over at 9kts with the keel jacked up on those windless summer days. Its also got the grunty charging circuit for cruising/fridges etc. Not going electric start or anything mental like that.

Marshy - not a big fan of transom hung motors, aesthetically or otherwise. Getting the weight off the transom and down low and centre is the prefered option.

Everybody was envious of Grunty Chicken with is 16HP super cruiser diesel and thats an E7.9 so an E7.4 with a 15HP petrol is not excessive. It weighs 36kg, thats a lot better than the diesel option and a lot less dosh to go new.

Sore a brilaint set up on a boat, basicly it was a standard wet box the motor slid up and down on a track on the botom of the motor was a ply shoe the shape of the hull, pull up the motor and the botom of the hull was nice and smooth! They had some sort of ventree set up that drained the water when under way, on the out side of the box were the stairs

The Yammie 9.9 and 15 are the same engine and weigh the same we put a 15 into the karma as wanted to be able to motor home if the sh*t hi the fan in big breeze we can do about 12 knots in flat water flat out with 2 of us on board.

I have some pics of the set up as I took some the other day for a client up in asia looking to do the same thing.

PM me and I can e-mail them to you its real simple we actually stripped the bracket and everything off the motor saved a few kgs

Cheers

Gappy

Image0420.jpg

Image0421.jpg

Yip that's the bizzo Gappy, thanks I'll pm you.

Exactly right the 15hp is the same as the 9.9 so for a couple of hundred bucks extra why not!

Cheers

EE

EE, we've got a similar well setup and it works well. You’re welcome to go have a look if you want, we’re at Westhaven, G3. We have to have leave the hatch open when motoring for ventilation so you might want think about putting a grille on it, similar to what Gappy appears to have done. Also, to push it down the well, we stand on it, which cracked the outboard cover. Might want to think about laminating a fibreglass patch on its underside. Lastly, we found that the outboard corroded relatively quickly until we stopped lifting it clear of the water while in the marina. We now leave it down slightly to get the anode wet.

Guess you can flush it by lifting the motor up and filling the well with fresh water? And for EE its easy because he is on a trailer anyhow?

We've left the flush plug in and fixed a hose to it which stops at the top of the motor where it's capped off. Once in the marina, we stick the marina hose on it while we pack up. Seems to work OK, even after leaving the cap off the hose once. Or twice. :oops:

KM you are obviously very busy, I saw TW's mooring lines this am, very tidy, did you contract that splicing out? :)

Rhys I had a look at your setup a few years back when I had BF on G pier - pretty tidy and RnB's was good too from memory, I'll be doing a couple of ducts duct to supply 02 in and out, already got the little 75mm SS/plastic inline fans (12v) which will run off the charging loop so when its running they run. Think tiny computer fans for the marine environment. Dont really want grills and noise and have the room to form a nice tidy duct.

EE goes on a trailer and lives over by Swashies so corrosion and flushing is easy. A bit pissed the 8 died as that puts the bulb-job and new trailer back 6 months. :(

EE

Cool Change will soon have the same. 15hp 4 stroke, with electric start and remotes. Box is bigger than you think though. 700x400 internal. I like the idea of stripping all the casing off the engine. Will reduce the size. Gappy how have you attached the engine to the rise and fall?

Archived