Spare Young 88 Jib?

Kaihe Atamai

Y88 headsail size envy. I know it well, Oh too well :lol: :lol:

What sort of measurements are you looking at wanting to try? I may have something you could have a play with.

Y88 headsail size envy. I know it well, Oh too well :lol: :lol:

What sort of measurements are you looking at wanting to try? I may have something you could have a play with.

I'll make some measurements this weekend and get back with you, thanks.

Clarification from a related thread - the likely "jib" I was looking for is the old class #3 - not the new class jib - this is too big it seems and I doubt you'd lend it to me if I was holding scissors at the time. :D

Yeap, I was under some misunderstanding as to what the 88 lads call their pointy end sails. What I thought was their big one wasn't. That's knot helping the envy levels much :)

I'd happily lend Edward Scissorhands a Y88 sail, knot a Ross one though :twisted: :lol:

Just thinking I have a 930 'overlapper' which may just squeeze on if you want to have a go. Just from eyeballing it probably isn't as big as a 88 sail. On the 930 it's knot full hoist, but close, and the clew is just behind the chainplates so I'm thinking it's 9.5mts up and 4.5 across the bottom, there abouts. I'll measure it up in the weekend.

And in return you can slow down a bit. For a while you were far closer to us in the last Simrad than we would like :lol: :lol:

Yeap, I was under some misunderstanding as to what the 88 lads call their pointy end sails. What I thought was their big one wasn't. That's knot helping the envy levels much :)

I'd happily lend Edward Scissorhands a Y88 sail, knot a Ross one though :twisted: :lol:

Just thinking I have a 930 'overlapper' which may just squeeze on if you want to have a go. Just from eyeballing it probably isn't as big as a 88 sail. On the 930 it's knot full hoist, but close, and the clew is just behind the chainplates so I'm thinking it's 9.5mts up and 4.5 across the bottom, there abouts. I'll measure it up in the weekend.

And in return you can slow down a bit. For a while you were far closer to us in the last Simrad than we would like :lol: :lol:

No chance of getting either on the forestay of the 830 it seems - my "full hoist" jib is 7.97m luff. Thanks for the offer in any case.

There is a halyard just above the forestay on my rig (used to hoist a gennaker that, when I am tempted to hoist it, generally loses the race for mel) that would mean I could get it up, but I can't imagine un-hanked it would help my cause upwind. I'm now thinking talking to a sailmaker is the next step.

Whoever it was that said "talk is cheap" obviously never talked to a sailmaker ;)

Ya have to respect the skills and training that go into sailmaking, but the bills can still make you suck air through your teeth.

Welll...I can see one sailmaker's price list on their website and although they don't have a section for Ross 830s, it does show 780s, 930s and also SR26s. If I am reading it right, it looks like he might get away for less than a couple of grand, which is not bad for a sail that will most likely to the job for five or more years.

I am often shocked at what an icecream costs these days but most of the sailmakers I have come across seem to be pretty fair operators - suspect some are being more than fair at the moment in view of the recession, and if you are able to slot in your order when they are quiet (basically the time between the various nationals in April-ish and the Coastal in October) they may be able to go a bit further.

Re sail prices, I'm just glad I have a smallish boat - sailed with a buddy on his 13+m this weekend and had to manhandle his "jib" about the deck - didn't think asking the cost would be appropriate. Did ask if I could cut a full set of sails out of it... :D

Thanks for the timing advice -

Hey a thought. What about a Class 930 headsail?

Approx 8mts on the hoist and 3.3 (I think) on the foot. I've got some of those if you want to try one. Set up as self-tackers but may give you an idea.

Archived