#1191 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

Nice one, I was thinking Cav30. Definitely the same lines as the 30 and 36.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#1192 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Attached File  IMG_20170501_0001.jpg   202.87KB   0 downloads

#1193 Vorpal Blade

Vorpal Blade

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

Got the VB and a few other keelboats out of the water today at Little Shoal Bay, another 12 more or so to haul in two weeks when the tide is right. Let the winter games commence - some exciting mods this year!!

Attached File  IMG_4390 copy.jpg   248.88KB   1 downloads

for awesome custom made fabric products
http://www.coversandcanvas.co.nz

#1194 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Been jumped by a Seal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Finished the interior paint and very happy as it's come up far better than the R.A.G grade job had me expecting. I'm now  massive fan of that paint, assuming it doesn't fall off next week. Very easy to get a lovely finish without any solvent abuse or having to sell one of the kids into white slavery. Now totally convinced I'm using the same stuff on the outside as well.

I ended up rolling, with one of those small 100mm wide rollers that's like a big hairy beast you'd do a fence with, it on. I tried to get a even film thickness but wasn't super fussed about laying it off and didn't tip it off or anything like that. All I used was the 100mm roller and a roller tray, not a thing else. I reckon the roller was better at getting into all the corners etc better than spraying.

The paint does take a little adjustment if you are more experienced in solvent based 2 pots or enamels. For a start it's all done in weight not lites so rather than whip up a 2lt batch I'd whip up 1.2kg batches. Then the application is a bit different as well. As noted it flows out unbelievably so no great need to lay things off just go for a consistent film thickness. It also looks like it is struggling to cover blemishes below but it dries with great coverage. One biggie was when using house water born paints you can just chuck the gear in a bucket of water afterwards but with this I noticed if you did that the paint in the gear would still cure hard even when totally immersed in water so you need to wash the gear out well when your finished. I then chucked it in bucket of water as used rollers are better then new ones.

As a FYI. To give the entire interior, top to bottom inc keel frames, bench tops, bunk tops and every little thing else, of a R930 a coat of paint will use 3.1kg of paint before is gasses or whatever off as it dries, assuming it does lose weight as it dries. So the interior paint job added close as 9kg to the boats weight all up. The middle where you sit and look at it got 3 coats the ends and in or under things only got 2. The floors inside will have a non-skid coat applied shortly.

#1195 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

In much need of a run to charge batteries etc,ended up taking an Italian visiting yachtsman around Tamaki river to locate or try to locate his dinghy which broke away last night,Finally found in the mangroves at Wai O taiki Bay,Anchored my boat  and retrieved dinghy :thumbup: only to find we were not first as oars taken :oops: but now I have a topping lift + 15lts of diesel that wouldn't fit in his tank so worth a trip in the cold,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users