mast type 3/4 masthead ?

Tiller

i think people tend to follow trends.

The ued underwater bow sections were a result of IOR rule but that trend has continued for better or worse

has fractional rigs followed the same path or is there something in 3/4 rig ?.

less weight, more control, more work for sparmakers??

Without 3/4 rigs many boats on the water today just wouldn't exist. Can you imagine how a masthead rigged 88 or 930 would be like..... they would probably be called a Chico 30.

But you are right people do follow trends be they good or bad, we see it every day. Trend following is very much alive and well in the marine game for sure, as is copying the outfit who sets/starts a trend.

Talking to a carbon spar maker at the show (who may soon become an advertiser :D ), and he thought unstayed masts were great and agrees the only reason you don't see more of them is that the production boats follow the succesful race boats, and the conservative dicks who control racing try to stop innovation.

Unstayed masts! New to me.....but I like it! I imagine the hull/deck structure surrounding the mast would need to be significantly reinforced if it were to be retrospectively fitted? Is that even possible? Bet they cost a fortune too........but how nice would it be!!!!!

An sometimes Squid, the reason why things don't change isn't because people are conservative, it's because the solution is what works best with current technology and engineering and most people know it. The wheel is still round after 5,000 years for a reason.

Unstayed has been tried in the competitive environment, you may remember Ocean Planet which did a Vendee and a Velux. It singularly did not persuade anyone to change to unstayed rigs. Will probably happen in the future when materials change, but no way today if the principle criteria is performance.

But prove us wrong, do it and show us the error of our ways, on the race track where it counts.

Archived