930 Fractional Genny sizes

RedLine

Hi

Waiting on a new Code 0 for my 930 for longer light air races. And already have new (ish) prod and light airs mast head Genny.

Usually in the stronger stuff I use one of the two fractional spinnakers that came with the boat. But when crewing two handed in heavy air say 25K true, was thinking of investing in a new or second hand fractional Gennaker, as this makes the sail handling much easier.

Was wondering about what rough size/s I should be looking @, and what weight of cloth, as my only Genny @ present is 1/2 oz cloth, which would be no good in heavy airs. Any suggested sail areas and or rough measurements (luff/leach foot etc?).

I know there are plenty of 930's out there running fractional Gennys.

Cheers

Stu

Ballistic had a nice one made by Quantum/Evolution sails so they may have the specs, that was a real weapon, but the mast is different to a 930 so it possibly may not be quite right, the area was about right for that 25 knot stuff, way more controllable than the little kite too.

Have a brand new frac gennie on the Cool Change. Made by Tony Harold. It's a very nice sail. Flatter in shape which is good as it can quite shy. We can rotate the prod which makes a huge difference. But you only need very little in the way of projection to get good gains. Frac gennie is a very vertitile sail.

Ahh... a Genny, fractional or knot. I dream that one day when I grow up I might have one of those too :lol: :lol:

But the arsenal has expanded last week. Now if I just had some way on the boat of controlling all the corners at once I might be able to use the fecking things :lol:

No idea sorry Redline, us Pedigree boats don't have worries like that.

No Worries has a lethal APR70 from Doyles. This is a small heavy weather frac gennaker that can cope with 80 deg true in 15-20kn - Funnily enough similar to the Coastal Classic.....

We dealt to Recreation and Drop Dead Fred with it last year.

Airship has a 55sq m fractional on 2m fixed prod. Made by Brett Linton in Welly. Can take it to about 100 deg depending on breeze. It's a game breaker on a tight reach. Prob will max out at 75 sqm on fractional - any bigger than that would probably be diminishing returns or negative.

Thanks Sailed on no worries and remember him having a fair selection of Gennakers. Got a quote from Tony Harold who has made a few sails for Redline, and think this will be a great sail in the 20-30kt range from beam reach to around 140 degs. He thinks :

Dimensions luff 11.4 leech 9.8 foot 5.7 area 42 sqm, 1.5 oz cloth. Which sounds about right to me.

Stu

I sail on Airship with drbob, Stu. I reckon 42m2 will be on the small size. Our 55m2 one he mentioned above we carry happily in up to 30 knots and a little more carefully to 35... the degree of carefully is not due to the cloth weight being not up to it (and I think it's only .75oz, it's definitely not 1.5oz) but due to us being well powered up at 30 knots and the cone of comfort narrowing.

We carry it up to 100 degrees true in 8 knots of breeze, by 20 knots it's only up to about 125 ro maybe 130 degrees, and up at 30 knots is 145 or 150ish (all figures off the top of my head)

It's cut a lot flatter than your masthead one you fleww for the first Wine Race Start, so it's more of a reaching than running gennaker.

Here's some pics of it to give you a scale of what 55m2 fractional looks like.

post-3053-14188718755.jpg

post-3053-141887187551.jpg

post-3053-141887187553.jpg

Photos by Chris Coad Photography, see http://www.chriscoad.co.nz

Archived