Antifoul drying time

Fogg

What's the minimum amount of time you could get away with before dropping back in the water? I'm talking about a light touch-up of leading edges plus saildrive leg (propspeed is already done).

AC is due to go back in tomorrow at 1030am but the guys who were meant to do it on Fri/Sat haven't doen it - but claim it will be OK if they do it first thing on Monday am?

I'm sceptical that 2-3 hrs is enough especially in this damp weather?

It's Micron 66 in case it makes any difference.

Whaddya think?

What's the minimum amount of time you could get away with before dropping back in the water? I'm talking about a light touch-up of leading edges plus saildrive leg (propspeed is already done).

AC is due to go back in tomorrow at 1030am but the guys who were meant to do it on Fri/Sat haven't doen it - but claim it will be OK if they do it first thing on Monday am?

I'm sceptical that 2-3 hrs is enough especially in this damp weather?

It's Micron 66 in case it makes any difference.

Whaddya think?

G'day 'A-C'. Lots & lots of info - google type - Micron 66 antifouling drying time. I did. Heaps of places to research & lots to learn. Good luck! I spent 30 years antifouling yachts (my business) but what you want/need/should do is to make up your own mind & be comfortable with your own decission. It's you that pays for any mistakes in the end. Ciao, james

Well it is not particularaly Hot yet. Lets say we get 16degC tomorrow(don't know what is predicted), touch dry will be close to about 2hrs. The earliest reccomended immersion time is ruffly 15 hrs.

I have seen this stuff go in after it ws touch dry in 30minutes, but the solvent is therefore being absorbed into the water. The AF seemed to last OK, but you would have no or little comback to the manufacturer if it didn't work. Whether the applicators would stand by it is another thing completely.

More than that, my experience is that antifoul will last significantly longer if the paint is given a week or more to dry - I guess that is not always practical, but in the case of where the acro points are on the bottom (where you paint it on while in the slings and it has 10 - 15 minutes to dry) is where the marine growth is always greater than the surrounding dry areas.

AC I wouldn't accept that it will be as good as an application with a proper amount of drying time but 2 - 3 hours will be long enough for it to dry enough to put back in the water (assuming no rain)

Seems to be a pretty standard kind of answer at those facilities i.e. the drying time is whatever it needs to be to fit their schedule (or in this case, their oversights).

Agree with the answers above and would add that if you are paying top dollar for the best result (and that antifoul really is pitched well above some of the others) then the way it is treated needs to be a match for the investment you are making.

Suspect you may be offered the option of staying there as long as your heart desires, at your expense... :thumbdown:

AC, I had my antifoul touched up a little while back as the antifoul had some minor blisters (not the hull) and boatspray mentioned it could have been caused by either too thicker initial application or being put back in the water before it was dry.

Ok, the outfit who missed doing it on Fri/Sat are doing it now and I'm staying out for an extra 24 hrs to drop back in tomorrow lunchtime. I reckon that should be enough time. It's only a touch-up, the Micron 66 has lasted very well since it was applied two seasons ago and spent most of the last 18 months stationary on the marina with only 10 days use in that time - below is what she looked like after liftout last week.

Oh and to compensate me for the fact that I have to pay an extra day on the hardstand, the repaint is free.

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

ive had to walk along side a boat touching up some spots while the travel lift is driving it over to the lifting dock. 2 1/2mins drying time, she'll be right :thumbup:

Don't let him do your boat AC!

Which Micron 66 AC?

There is a softer one and a harder one. I think the harder is called Micron 66XT or something like that.

Boatspray suggested and put on the harder of the 2 on my boat and I must say it's held up very well indeed. Leading edges are gone but otherwise it's good nearly 2 years later.

Can't remember, KM, I think it was not the XT but I could be wrong. Either way, it's been by far the best performer of the antifouls I've tried including the local recommended one when I first arrived in NZ. I used Micron 66 in the UK but was told it didn't suit local NZ conditions. My experience proves otherwise.

Archived