selling myself

Oh yeah......

Some pretty bad stuff went on when I started off working also. It was called a 'trashing' This happened for pretty much any excuse... Being an apprentice, getting married, birthday, any excuse... There was a group of guys in the trashing committee and they took care of the logistics. They made sure the empty rubbish bin got down to the fish market Monday morning to get all the spare guts and squid off cuts etc. in went some dog food, yeast, milk eggs.. then in the hot box for a couple of days. It was really really bad.... To the point where the guys pouring that mess over the poor apprentice were throwing up as they did it. The young guy would get tied to the trashing trolley, dealt to, left for a while, hosed off then wheeled out to Fanshaw st and left by the lights. Some guys would get a hint it was coming to them and take the day off. Management would tip off the committee and they would bring the event forward a day!

I managed to escape ever being trashed. But I always had my head down and if the gaffa said jump, the answer was always 'how high?'

Tape throwing is a marine industry recognised sport isn't it?

I used to work at Lidgards north shore in my school holidays to help pay for my sails. I got nailed hard with seam stick balls pretty much all day! I was only 14 then but it was all good fun. I cut out a whole lot of P's backwards one time. Had the pattern the wrong way around... Got tied up and thrown in the rubbish bin..... Didn't think it was very funny at the time, but got over it pretty quick.

It's all part of gaining respect. Seemed to work......

Oh yeah......

Some pretty bad stuff went on when I started off working also. It was called a 'trashing' This happened for pretty much any excuse

I have worked two jobs where i have had to be initiated and gotten off lightly and neither of those jobs were in the trades as one was at the mighty pak n save and the other at JayCar. However being tied up in a retail shop with a sign say please dont feed the ginga was bloody hilarious in hindsight even though i didnt like it and I should have stayed in the seat longer.

I have also resigned from a job because of all the errors I was making that were actually my fault(duno about yours JH as I dont know any of the storey) I absoulty hated it being blamed for everything that went wrong even when it was the 10% of the that it wasnt me and stressed the hell out of myself as I couldnt change it. If you hate a job I can understand why people quit and do so with a angry passion sometimes, but just be careful how you vent it. Own what you did wrong and let everything else be as you dont have to go back and you dont want to scare off potential employers :D

Even though im only just 23 JH I have realised that those youth that work full time jobs have it harder as people dont think they have the work ethic yet, so you have to prove it. Where ever you go your going to have more pressure on you than other workers, so good luck with the job hunting :thumbup: :thumbup: and hopefully your comments dont come back to haunt you in the future.

But what ever you do JH dont loose your passion. Its what has gotten you a lot of attention(and the potential you have) and you coyld go a long way in life with it. oh yea. HAVE FUN

What I can't believe is you can;t handle a couple of rolls of tape been thrown at you how are you going to handle getting a hiding in the army it ain't all sweet dreams and lullabies. I have know guys that have gone into the army and good strong hard guys and they ditched out and just said no way.

looks like I have alot to look forward too reading those comments :)

I mean, it is all true what you guys are saying, I know this isnt much but, when I got a part time job after school working for a marine cover/ upholstery place, In the first few weeks, i got chucked into the bins, had sh*t thrown over me etc, but once those few weeks were over, i got a fair bit of respect from the younger guys, itl get there and always does, just part of starting of at a new job, now all i have to do is finish school :thumbup:

i handled it fine for the first 6 months, and hard to believe for the people that know me but i managed to keep my mouth shut, do what i was told and do it as best as i could. but the problem is is that the way i know how to do things is the way dad taught me, which usually isnt the brin wilson way because there are usually 2 or 3 ways to do things in the boat building world. so because i wasnt doing it the brin wilson way and they werent bloody teaching me how to do it their way in the first place i quickly became known as the idiot that didnt know how to wipe my own ass. i dont plan on going farr in the boat building industry right now, maybe in 10 years, but knot right now.

This is an interesting thread all right. I'm kind of amazed at the apprentice/newbie initiation stories - I was kind of under the impression this sort of thing had dissapeared in the 1960's.

The marine industry is obviously is quite male oriented sort of a place and somewhat different to my industry (IT). I can only imagine what would happen if I took one of my new graduate female analyst programmers (heels and power suit etc) and put them in a sailbag and hoisted them up a flag pole and set the firehose on them if the created a few too many bugs... I'm pretty sure it would involve the police and some pretty significant fines. VERY different work environment.

I'm kind of torn two ways on the practice: one part of me says "wow! good on these guys for resisting the whole PC brigade and carrying on thier traditions" and the other side says "WTF - do your management know what risks they are taking allowing this sh*t to go on and how stupid/idiotic they will look when someone complains to OSH/the media (whoever) and they have to try and justify the bullying/intimidation (and how poor they will be after all the fines etc)."

But think of the service you'd be doing to the programs of the world, they'd certainly learn to test their own work and it may even improve their dress sense.

Well it is a tempting idea I admit (and one I had never previously considered) - how about you try it on one of the girls at your work first and let me know how you get on - take some pics or it never happened.

Yeah MarkM have a go at hoisting Smithys wife up a flag pole and see how long you keep your short & curlys! :lol: I'm not thinking of whet Smithy would do to you - I'm thinking of what SHE would do :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, Mrs Smithy is by far the scarier prospect!! That's not to say that Smithy isn't scary in his own right, and of course Mrs Smithy is a lovely lady ..... its just I get the impression that she's likely to turn a bit prickly if you start to getting too stoopid.

But then again there is the argument that stoopid should be painful.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10758967

This is an interesting thread all right. I'm kind of amazed at the apprentice/newbie initiation stories - I was kind of under the impression this sort of thing had dissapeared in the 1960's.

The marine industry is obviously is quite male oriented sort of a place and somewhat different to my industry (IT). I can only imagine what would happen if I took one of my new graduate female analyst programmers (heels and power suit etc) and put them in a sailbag and hoisted them up a flag pole and set the firehose on them if the created a few too many bugs... I'm pretty sure it would involve the police and some pretty significant fines. VERY different work environment.

I'm kind of torn two ways on the practice: one part of me says "wow! good on these guys for resisting the whole PC brigade and carrying on thier traditions" and the other side says "WTF - do your management know what risks they are taking allowing this sh*t to go on and how stupid/idiotic they will look when someone complains to OSH/the media (whoever) and they have to try and justify the bullying/intimidation (and how poor they will be after all the fines etc)."

I think there is very little of this stuff still going on. It stopped happening at the big yards over 10 years ago.

While a lot of the little shits could do with a good trashing it is totally unacceptable here now.

If it had been in vogue while Jordan worked at Halls I'd suggest it would have been a very good Trashing he got and I'll let you make up your own mind why that would be !

Guest Saturday Night Special

who got punched in the face at cooksons for being a twat and went running to Mck a few years back.Tim you or your brother?I know when I was an appentice at Lidgard Sails your brother tried standover sh*t with me till I asked him round the back to sort it and he had as may balls as a forte street stripper naked are you man enough to deal out the thrashing ?

Jesus, reading some of the sh*t that apprentices apparently have to deal with I am surprised that they'd put up with it. I know if anyone tried that on with me in the workplace they'd be set straight pretty bloody quickly.

But in saying that, I've never worked in an industry in which this is seen as acceptable, and I suppose that's quite context dependent.

Getting this back on track, the truth is far more mundane.

As I've said before Jordan, you remind me of me when I was your age. It took me many years to get my head around the fact that the world owed me nothing and that if I did nothing then nothing was what I'd get. I was lazy & a slow learner - and it appears you are too.

I hope you're not going to complain about the negativity on here, given you must surely have expected this kind of dismayed response.

I'd like nothing more than to hear that you've found your niche and are happy doing something.

When you do, let me know your secret :wink:

When I was young, I worked at a Honda dealer, and was in the workshop one day when one of the mechanics (an uptight tough guy English prick) tried to clip me around the ears. About half a second later he found himself with his head through the (open) window of one of the cars in the workshop and in an arm lock. Nick - nor anyone else - ever tried that again.

David - the Dealer Principal - came through the door to the workshop about 2 seconds later and laughed, and said something about forgetting to mention I had a black belt in Aikido and wondered how long it took before someone gave him his comeuppance.

Bullies - at the workplace or anywhere else - annoy me. A bit of fooling around is ok, but if someone gets physically hurt (to a reasonable degree), it's going too far.

About half a second later he found himself with his head through the (open) window of one of the cars in the workshop and in an arm lock. Nick - nor anyone else - ever tried that again

:lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived