selling myself

This is an interesting thread all right. I'm kind of amazed at the apprentice/newbie initiation stories - I was kind of under the impression this sort of thing had dissapeared in the 1960's.

Not sure if it was that long ago. But today, Businesses and Employees need to be very careful about what they do to others, because Tom Foolery is no longer accepted and put up with in the Workplace. OSH will come down extremely heavily if a complaint is every made. The Golden Rule is "you must ensure your own safety and the safety of others". Playing stupid pranks can and do cause accidents which are simply no longer accpeted. That's one issue. Another is if a Person thinks they are being unfairly picked on, they can take that to court and an Employer can be severely fined. That's another issue. Then there is the issue of sexual harrasment situations. If a Female is in a workplace and she feels she is bering harrased, she can also take that to court and it is a pretty fair bet that she will win. So apart from some light hearted fooling around, you have to be careful in a workplace these days.

Which reminds me, we had some old Marina Pile floats come in today for a tickle up.They had some very large oysters growing on them and a few hrs in the Sun made them stu into a lovely smelling soup. We were going to place a couple under the seat of one of the guys, but suddenly got too busy and forgot.

Well speaking of stupidity in the workplace brings us back to JH at Halls eh - or would you prefer we don't talk about that Jordan? See what I mean, it's a small world...

I'm quite surprised this still happens. (Although theres always 2 sides to every story)

I was an apprentice from '79 on and knew a few of my mates got treated like that, but I certainly would have put up a fight and as a result I got through with not too many incidents.

I didn't agree with it then and definitely don't now.

I've been an employer for the last 20 years and have apprentices now and if I found out this was happening there wouldn't be any warnings before dismissal of the bullies.

I've been treatened before with court action when I've given someone their marching orders on the spot and quite frankly that doesn't bother me. If I think its justified and grounds for instant dismissal, then thats what it is. (It needs to be good grounds though cause it will be tested)

If this sort of thing were to happen on this side of the ditch, there is a real possibility of jail time for the employer if 1 of these pranks went wrong.

But like I said, theres always 2 sides to a story.

Snap - I was threatened with legal proceedings after firing someone. I found her buying shoes with money from the trust account. Funnily enough that was about the time I packed it in and went cruising instead.

well, i have thrown in my job at brin wilson boats

If you have how about giving them the courtesy of actually telling them that. As far as they know you are still on their books and just MIA. The boss there doesn't bite and would like to know just what your plans are one way or the other. At the moment all he knows is what he has read here on Crew. He knew nothing about your issues and is more than happy to work with you to sort them out.

Jordon, that is just bad ju-ju and knot the way to go thru life. Manners and courtesy don't cost money so use them hard out, you will benefit from doing so. If you don't intend going back at least pop in and tell them that. And would you like your tools which are still there?

Nick is a nice dude and more than willing to help you but 1st you have to help yourself. Go and have a chat and sort it out one way or that other, you do owe them at least that much.

It's man up or whimp out time JH. Which one are you going to be?

TIP: Before the meeting, write down the comments / points you wish to discuss. Print a second copy to hand over.

Yes it's a pain but you will learn:

1). How to clarify your thoughts

2). Sort issues into a logical order

3). Make an agenda and show you are organised.

4). Make "Apology" First & Last items. Humble pie is easier eaten with sugar and cream :thumbup:

See easier now. Just put your stuff in the middle.

5). ADD just before ending apology a "CONCLUSION / OUTCOME" so you know what you really want.

Life is too short to make enemies from unresolved issues.

Show maturity and acknowledge all your mistakes as we have all made heaps in our younger lives, so you are not unique in this world.

STAND UP, FACE UP AND BE MATURE.

Sometimes recognising that between adults the "chemistry" is just not right and it is better to agree to differences, but at least be respectul of those differences, and you will respected for recognising this.

:shh: Just see how you like some women more than others.

What is it? Hair colour, facial shapes, skin tones, etc it's that chemistry thing again.

PaulR that is sound advice. I'd also suggest that if JH (or anyone else for that matter) wants to try being a grown up then he needs to consider that if he wishes to give a list of grievances then he needs to be prepared to listen as well. Despite JH's assurances to the contrary, this will not be all Brin Wilsons' fault.

Nick is a great guy, and Bruce is straight up, and won't take any bullshit from anyone. He's been at Brin Wilsons over 30 years - how long have you been a boatbuilder? If he tells you you're doing something wrong, then I'd be inclined to believe him and learn how to do it his way. Then as time goes by, you will know the way your Dad taught you and also how Bruce taught you, and you become skilled - how bad could that be? I'm sure your Dad is a skilled boatbuilder JH, so learn from them both. There's almost always more than one way to do anything. Except when your boss tells you how to do it, then there is only one way - and that is his way.

Are you sure you want to join the Army? Just can't see the fit myself. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree to all that AA. Along with Paul's comments, Well said also.

Actually, Nick made a comment to Grant that he did not know of any tomfoolery carrying on in the work place and if he did, he would have stood on it quickly. Which is what a Boss has to do these days. Work places are not playgrounds and some stupid idiot doing something as a joke and having it go wrong can have an entire workplace close down by OSH. It is serious. Plus a Boss pays to have work carried out, not for his time to be wasted. So you only need to say something and he would or should sort it. Light hearted banter is different. You have to have a bit of fun and humour at work, but is must be safe.

When I did my Sales Training, many many years ago now, The Tutor (Bill Peart) told a wee story. To go back a stage, we had to learn scripts of by heart word perfect. Hiss reasoning was this. He said "you know those clowns at a circus that climb a high tower and pretend to lose their balance and all sorts of mucking around on the tower and then they finally pretend to fall off and they land in this little paddling pool with about 6" of water in the bottom of it. Well they aren't just "clowns" fooling around up there. They are highly trained, highly skilled and highly practiced in their field. After and only after all that training and practice can they then pretend to fool around as part of the act. So you learn the scripts and after you have learned and are perfect with them, Then and Only then can you start to adlib with them."

The same with learning a trade. You may have been taught different to what someone now wants you to learn. So you learn it. Then after you have learn't it and you have gained some respect, you may find your old way could be perhaps a little better and you will be able to say to your Employer, hey I have a faster or better way of doing this, can I show you.

JH, you really really have to break the cycle you are in. You struggled at school and I understand that. Many of us struggled at school. I then tutored for 5yrs working with Kids that could not stay in school. Each had a different stroy, but in the end, the attitudes were all the same. You have to break the cycles JH.

Yeah MarkM have a go at hoisting Smithys wife up a flag pole and see how long you keep your short & curlys! :lol: I'm not thinking of whet Smithy would do to you - I'm thinking of what SHE would do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you and Grinna are in big trouble. Mero knows where your boats are......

Aw come ON Smithy! I wasn't advocating that Mark should do it! I know better than that. :wink: Mind you, just let me check my insurance cover for destruction by vandalism... :lol:

Mid 1970s, Acme engineering Petone (Yes, we DID make all the kits that the Coyote tried to kill Roadrunner with) Fitting and Turning Apprenticeship.

When you signed your papers, all the apprentices waited for you by the clock card machine. There were about 20-30 apprentices at that time. They grabbed you, took you to a quenching barrel which was full of water for quenching heat treated components, and had been there for about 50 years, so it had a great accumulation of sludge in the bottom. The apprentices had added cutting compound, white lead, various bodily excretements and so on.. They put you in there head first with your arms pinned to your sides. They let you head stay in the sludge until you started to panic, then pulled you out and put you in the other way. Yes I fought like a mad bastard, but with 2 guys on each arm and leg, you go from 100% mad to completely subdued in about 60 seconds.. The only time I have come close to being exhausted so quickly was pulling in a Ross 40 kite in 35 knots... :D

Yes one kid told his Mum who complained. He was immediately barrelled again.. No one ever got physically hurt.. Mentally, well that's another story!! It was a trial by fire and part of growing up. We were barked at, abused, given mundane jobs, but learnt SO MUCH, that I have been forever grateful for the training..

Shame a bit more of it doesn't go on I reckon...

Aw come ON Smithy! I wasn't advocating that Mark should do it! I know better than that. :wink: Mind you, just let me check my insurance cover for destruction by vandalism... :lol:

Be afraid AA. Be very afraid. :D :D

Yeah I got a similar treatment as an apprentice. I went quietly like a lamb as I'd had my appendix out only 2 weeks earlier. Mastick in my hair, green hand wash gel down - well everywhere, sludge collected from the steam clean bay runoff container (top stuff that), oil form the used oil collection, yada yada yada. Can't say I enjoyed it, but hey no one escaped it.

On another note when I was at the ARA bus depot as a special projects mechanic one of my best efforts was a pair of shackles chained together. We'd grab the apprentices, and put one set on the wrists, and the other set on the ankles. I even designed them to be adjustable for different sized lads! Then we'd tar & feather them. OK used sump oil was used in place of tar, but one of the guys seemed to be able to get feathers (go figure), wash their hair with the old autotrans fluid, it was much thinner than oil and better for their complexion, and then to finish it all off we'd load them up into the back of the workshop truck and drive them through the bus wash to rinse them off. All good fun - for all but one anyway - and no harm done. By golly when it the next apprentices turn all the others who had been "done" were the best helpers! :lol:

JH none of this is a patch on what you're gonna get if you get into the Army!

I think you and Grinna are in big trouble. Mero knows where your boats are......

Hey, I was just saying that Mero's a lovely lady but I wouldn't want to piss her off ... I'm pretty sure she's mastered "the look".

Oh yeah, don't be under the misunderstanding she can't chuck 'the look', she sure can and she can very well. I saw her chuck one at Smithy and he went from a brave looking grown up to a scared 10yo in less than a micro second :lol: :lol:

And while here another one to watch out for, especially as she is a trained killer, Mrs Wheels. Mr Wheels hurt his foot and as much as we said we'll take him to the Dr he said No, all he'll say is it's fucked and I already know that.

A few days later Mrs Wheels was in and I was strongly spoken to about Mr Wheel aversion to Dr's. I was told if he did something like that again to knock him out with a anchor and chuck him on the back of the ute to the Dr.

So the only thing we have to do now is decided which anchor to use :lol: :lol:

Archived