Tender outboards

Gregandsue

Hi guys I have a new southern pacific puffin 2.4 and will eventually put an outboard on her. I Am told that a Honda 4 stroke air cooled is a better option than say a 2.5 merc as it is less maintenance etc ,no flushing etc but has anyone got advice on this?

Those Honda 4strokes are quite grunty but if u want to get planing you should be looking at the 3.3 merc

In saying that you can't go past a yammy 2. They are much lighter and easier to handle. Will last 10 years + even if you only flush it at the end of each season.

Good luck

Got one of the Hondas and it has been good but agree with Royale - it is a considerably chunkier unit (both bulk and weight) than the littlest Yammy. Not entirely sure about the no-flushing aspect of the Hondas either - although air-cooled as you say, from memory the manual recommends it and there are water inlets at the lower end. For what reason I do not know! :eh: All I can tell you is that water runs out of them when you pull it up!

Yeah, I would also agree with Royale. We were using a 2HP yammy and it was light and really easy to use but wasn't quite grunty enough when we put four in the dinghy along with BBQ etc. I looked at a bunch of different options (including 4 strokes) but I couldn't go past the 3.3 Merc for power to weight. I looked at the 2.5 Merc but it was effectively a 3.3 engine detuned so had the same weight but just less power. We also considered a 5HP Merc but the weight jump and physical size was just to big.

I have a Honda 2HP 4stroke now about 13 years old and has been knocked around a lot. It dose get a service once a year and would spend half it life in the boot of the car or hanging in the push-pit in any weather. Although the plastic has discoloured and the prop is a bit banged up it continues to go and go and go.

It noise and not fast but has excellent torque. We had a situation entering Man of War passage on the barrier. The Jet Raider gave us a huge rock and roll wake and we sucked air on the main diesel. With no wind and and towing the RIB we managed to push 9.5 ton at 2.5 kst through the passage and around to smoke house.

Excellent for people moving.

Archived