2012 Coastal Classic - Race reports here

I'm just heading down to the wharf for the start - here's Bob McD's weatehr report

The Race start, 0950-1010hr Friday

Wind from southwest average 20 knots but 25 knots plus offshore and in exposed places. Cloudy.

Sea moderate, rough offshore

**Friday Afternoon and evening

Wind from southwest, 20 knots plus offshore, less inshore. Sea moderate. Cloudy at times.

**Around midnight to dawn on Saturday

Wind easing below 10 knots about coast, may still be 15 knots plus offshore and near headlands.

Sea slight to moderate. Patchy clouds, lowering around dawn.

Should be a fantastic race for all 152 entries.!!!!

Where are all the pics going to be?

Squidd will put his photos and videos up here, otherwise look at the classic website http://coastalclassic.co.nz/ and keep an eye out on youtube over the weekend as people upload their videos.

also there are several trackers at play this weekend. Team vodafone http://play.vodafone.co.nz/teamvodafone ... e-tracking and several others on http://www.sailonline.org/ that have been integrated into their virtual coastal classic.

'Team Opua' on board Bare Essentials for Coastal

Robertson 60 ‘Bare Essentials’ is competing in this year’s Coastal Classic with a full crew of Opua Cruising Club sailors. In fact, the crew are all ex-Revs as well!

Bare essentials will be coming up the coast today skippered by Northland Sailor of the Year Chris Hornell, and crewed by his “ducklings*” Paul Smith, Reece Hesketh, Karl Taylor, Tom Kiff, Esther Kruijver and Rebecca Gmuer-Hornell.

Good luck to ‘Team OCC’ and ‘Bare Essentials’ and we’ll keep you posted on their progress throughout the day on our Facebook page – www.facebook.com/opuacruisingclub.

*I’m sure there’s an interesting story behind this, but I’m told all will be revealed in time!

Secret Squirrel here on North Head. It's a great day to go sailing! Or if you can't then it's a great day to watch others go sailing! Round 4 minutes to go, nice breeze, 12 - 13 kts on the water I guess.

Vodafone lurking will everything furled ready to go. 888 looking sleek. Godd crowd up here as well

1 minute gun gone off

Funnily enough Vodafone is out in front already! Flying its central hull as it takes off round North Head. Wired looking good, Lucifer Smoking along just behind the Drift!

actually writing while trying to watch is near impossible! All multis bar to small 'uns have gone past. Apparently there's some mono's out there? I'll have another look, hang on... Nope, cant see any! :lol:

actually writing while trying to watch is near impossible! All multis bar to small 'uns have gone past. Apparently there's some mono's out there? I'll have another look, hang on... Nope, cant see any! :lol:

good on you mate. hope youve got plenty of footage

Archived