Lookin for a job

Wait a minute... your 'Finished uni' post was a 4:22pm... Your 'Lookin for a job' post was at 4:39pm...

So you've spent a grand total of 17 minutes looking for a job? Not surprised you haven't found one yet! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not really. I have been doing some job searching over the last 5 weeks as well, but nothing has come of it.

Yeah you think your having a hard time? Try 3 months of job searching!! :shock:

Gutted

Have you tried student job search? May be able to get some experience in the field your studying for...

have tried yes SJS and no luck. its not the best job search site. at this rate i may just start emailing some companys

Go door knocking. Present yourself well.

What about working for free at a company you really want to work for?

May sound silly but guarenteed it will be worth it in the long run. Especially when you finish uni and you have the experiance under you belt. With a bit of luck they will fell sorry for you and pay you anyway :thumbup:

Have you tried student job search? May be able to get some experience in the field your studying for...

have tried yes SJS and no luck. its not the best job search site. at this rate i may just start emailing some companys

Emailing is for chickens and the unemployed Gen Y's, go and knock on their door, you'll get a much better responce.

Emailing is for chickens and the unemployed Gen Y's, go and knock on their door, you'll get a much better responce.

hmmmm. Might have to get some courage to do that. hmmmmmm. I know I can do some voluntary work for a community organisation, but having more money would be the goal.

Not really what I meant. Write down your ideal job in your ideal company and just walk in there and say you will work for free.

If I get an email from someone asking for a job I just delete it.

Word of mouth or door knocking is the best way. Your wasting your time with emails.

Absolutely second that. Never ever heard of anyone getting a job via a 'cold' email. Total waste of time. And yes, I did it myself when I left uni.

I'm not the door-knocking type either, so I know how you feel. But job hunting is just like marketing. In fact it IS marketing. And just like marketing, the more broadly you throw the net, the less chance of success you have. By focusing in on a tiny niche, and putting all your efforts into getting a very specific type of job, or working in a specific industry, or for a specific type of company, the more chance of success you'll have, because that desire to attain a specific goal will come across strongly. If you just ask for a job, any job, you'll get knocked back time and time again.

if you want to go sailing and do some volunteer work give the Spirit Of Adventure Trust a call, ro drop by their office at the base of Princes wharf.

that could be a option. The problem is trying to walk into a social work agency with a year of uni still to go and trying to get a job. You never know unless you try, but unfortunitly I dont think i will have a great success for paid work. Volunteering yes.

Absolutely second that. Never ever heard of anyone getting a job via a 'cold' email. Total waste of time. And yes, I did it myself when I left uni.
And I'll 3rd that.

I get a fair few via email.. along with masses of stuff I have no need or desire for, so the CV's can often just blur into the pile of knot wanted, especially if busy and have 50 plus emails racked up unread.

As an employer, I would hold a massive more weight in someone having the balls to just rock up, it does show they are willing to do the yards to get a job in the 1st place so that translates into they are probably more likely to do the job if they scored it. I know it's damn hard, been there done that myself back in the day, and you will hear many, by far I'd expect, 'Sorry mate but nothing here at the moment' but all you need is to be there at the right time and bingo it may fall into place on the spot.

Be flexible, I am assuming it's just a summer in-between Uni time one you are after. Sure you may end up counting the hairs on cats bums but I'd say 99.9% of people reading this never started where they thought or would have preferred to, it's the way it goes.

If you find someone who is wavering on taking you on maybe chuck in 'How about I do a week for free and if I pan out then you start paying?'. Again that shows you are keen and at the same time the employer gets a 'discount' so to speak, I doubt many wouldn't like that idea.

Be smart but knot a smartarse. Humour is good but a smartarse is to be left until you know who you are talking to can cope with it. Be smart but never be smarter than the boss unless that's what they want you to be, many do. Dress tidy and with your target place in mind i.e. no point rocking up to our place dressed in a Gucci suit nor rocking up to the 20th floor of an office building looking like your headed to my place.

Don't rock in expecting a starting pay of 125K plus a car. Don't go in saying I'll work for a rum and a packet of chips. Don't sell yourself short nor over inflate yourself, be realistic.

Be honest. If you're asked can you do XX, say Yes, No, I have done some but aren't that flash or whatever. If you say you can but then are found wanting, that will stay in the employers head and be remembered so later that may have a baring on things.

There are a huge number of jobs out there you probably have no Quals for and probably don't need them. Be flexible, keen and willing to give something a crack, assuming it's something you think you could do. Applying to be a Brain Surgeon isn't the sort of thing being massively willing to 'give it a crack' is a good idea, I suspect that would end badly.

If you need a hand or what to bounce anything or ideas off me, knot that I'm a legend in any sense, I'm very happy to help, just drop me a PM and we can chat. I get the impression you aren't a total dumbarse and are keen, I'm more than happy to help those like that if I can in any small way.

And I'll 3rd that.

I get a fair few via email.. along with masses of stuff I have no need or desire for, so the CV's can often just blur into the pile of knot wanted, especially if busy and have 50 plus emails racked up unread.

As an employer, I would hold a massive more weight in someone having the balls to just rock up, it does show they are willing to do the yards to get a job in the 1st place so that translates into they are probably more likely to do the job if they scored it. I know it's damn hard, been there done that myself back in the day, and you will hear many, by far I'd expect, 'Sorry mate but nothing here at the moment' but all you need is to be there at the right time and bingo it may fall into place on the spot.

Be flexible, I am assuming it's just a summer in-between Uni time one you are after. Sure you may end up counting the hairs on cats bums but I'd say 99.9% of people reading this never started where they thought or would have preferred to, it's the way it goes.

If you find someone who is wavering on taking you on maybe chuck in 'How about I do a week for free and if I pan out then you start paying?'. Again that shows you are keen and at the same time the employer gets a 'discount' so to speak, I doubt many wouldn't like that idea.

Be smart but knot a smartarse. Humour is good but a smartarse is to be left until you know who you are talking to can cope with it. Be smart but never be smarter than the boss unless that's what they want you to be, many do. Dress tidy and with your target place in mind i.e. no point rocking up to our place dressed in a Gucci suit nor rocking up to the 20th floor of an office building looking like your headed to my place.

Don't rock in expecting a starting pay of 125K plus a car. Don't go in saying I'll work for a rum and a packet of chips. Don't sell yourself short nor over inflate yourself, be realistic.

Be honest. If you're asked can you do XX, say Yes, No, I have done some but aren't that flash or whatever. If you say you can but then are found wanting, that will stay in the employers head and be remembered so later that may have a baring on things.

There are a huge number of jobs out there you probably have no Quals for and probably don't need them. Be flexible, keen and willing to give something a crack, assuming it's something you think you could do. Applying to be a Brain Surgeon isn't the sort of thing being massively willing to 'give it a crack' is a good idea, I suspect that would end badly.

If you need a hand or what to bounce anything or ideas off me, knot that I'm a legend in any sense, I'm very happy to help, just drop me a PM and we can chat. I get the impression you aren't a total dumbarse and are keen, I'm more than happy to help those like that if I can in any small way.

anything above minimum wage would be great. other than that its all just work experience and making sure I dont become a slob in 4 months.

what's your hourly rate for sanding? I might need some help in a few weeks

Id be happy to take $10 a hour and a ride in 20 knot winds on your new boat when it arrives :D

Archived