Sign of the times?

Fram SA

medcup trouble

We don't quite know what to make of this, the inside story, or the ultimate ramifications, but wanted to get this out for y'all to see...

World Sailing Management (WSM), organizers of the MedCup sailing circuit, the official international competition of the TP52 and Soto 40 classes, regrets to announce to all those involved and interested in this prestigious circuit, that it has decided to suspend the 2012 season. This difficult business decision was taken for the following reasons, all of them related to the economic and financial crisis affecting the whole world and Europe in particular:

1. Serious uncertainty regarding the number of boats, mainly in the 52 Series (TP 52 class), willing to commit to compete in all of the events comprising the circuit with the risk of an insufficient number of competitors to ensure the competitive level reached by the circuit in previous seasons.

2. The lack of financial resources available to local authorities in their bid to become potential venues for the events of the circuit, which limited the ability to address their usual obligations and maintain the circuit’s level of quality.

3. Together with the abovementioned factors, a decrease in the support needed from AUDI AG, which has been the circuit’s title sponsor, has led WSM to terminate, early and peacefully, the sponsorship deal linking both companies.

In brief, WSM believes that it is more rational to suspend the Circuit than let it continue with falling standards.

Nevertheless, WSM will continue to work during 2012 in order to overcome these difficulties, confident that it will be able once again to provide the sailing world with the spectacle that the MedCup Circuit has always been.

If things like the TP52 circuit and the Volvo implode, then outside of the AC the opportunities for pro yachties start to get a bit slim. Sure, this sucks for the guys that do it for a living but could this end up being a good thing for grass roots yachting as the focus swings back to folks who are just in it for the love of it?

Audi pulled a lot of sponsorship money out of Australian yachting this year too. Some of the big regattas are having to revert to volunteer-run events to stay viable. The coastal lost it's sponsor too right? There was a peiod when there was a good amount of sponsorship cash sploshing around, but it's going to be tough for a while.

The move to cats in the AC and the now-active ACWS probably drew a few contenders out of the pool for the Medcup. It's a shame because the coverage was great and the quality of the racing was very high. I loved watching the boats pull off port layline approaches and last-second tacks that the rest of us would totally f*ck up.

The effect of having the pros back in local fleets might not be that helpful. In the serious racing over here in Sydney we already compete against paid crews - lots of owners retain 'gardeners', 'contractors' and 'tradesmen' who also happen to sail with them. If you check the ISAF status of these people they're not listed as pro - but there's no doubt who they are working for.

We take some pride in being one of the better corinthian boats, but there's a gulf in budget and experience between us and the 'fully-cocked' programmes. There have been some famous cases of the paid crews not performing of course, and we have our good days too.

It's not unusual for 50ft+ race boats to have enormous wage bills and all the travel, etc. for the crews is paid. Staying on boats is frowned upon and the teams all have Transit vans that follow them around the country with spares, sails and tools. A lot of the boats don't sail for fun - anything other than a win is an unmitigated failure - eventually the owners get the shits and drop everything.

Even in one-design classes there are guns-for-hire - not just in the big boats.

I busted out of here last year and did a lot of racing over there. The absence of this sort of bullshit in NZ was really refreshing. It's so good to see so many loved boats, old and new, just doing it and everyone seems to derive a lot of enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm naieve and there are a lot of paid hands there too - but I didn't get that impression.

. In the serious racing over here in Sydney we already compete against paid crews - lots of owners retain 'gardeners', 'contractors' and 'tradesmen' who also happen to sail with them. If you check the ISAF status of these people they're not listed as pro - but there's no doubt who they are working for.

We have a word for that, it starts with a C.

I've been saying it for years. At the current rate of sucking up bucks it wasn't sustainable. The same applies to a massive amount of things beyond the 52's and all yachting also. It's only a matter of time before the AC implodes as well due to excessive spend verses poor return due to low viewer ship.

Then what will we see?

2 rich dudes make a drunken bet in some pub and pop out into the harbour to race their 2 maxis. Oh gosh, the real AC is back.

Maybe I'm naieve and there are a lot of paid hands there too - but I didn't get that impression.
Yes, there are a good number who get paid to go boating here. But most tend to keep it quiet.

The crew of Marshall Law are all paid professionals.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Payment is in Bacon and Egg pies. Sometimes more than 1! Can you believe that? Am I overpaying them and being played here???

Payment is in Bacon and Egg pies. Sometimes more than 1! Can you believe that? Am I overpaying them and being played here???

I love bacon and egg pie. It's like a hot meal, even when it's cold. And even after days it doesn't go off - or at least it doesn't taste like it's off. Food of champions. Your crew are lucky.

I love bacon and egg pie. It's like a hot meal, even when it's cold. And even after days it doesn't go off - or at least it doesn't taste like it's off. Food of champions. Your crew are lucky.

I knew I was paying too much.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived