Auckland to Noumea 2012

nz moth

So 80ft mono vs 60ft tri. The tri only just beat a 70ft to Fiji (admittedly they did go via South America) So will a lead drager prevail this year?

Great line-up indeed. Will be interesting to watch - will all boats carry trackers?

Interesting to see large number of production boats inc at least 3 Beneteau that I spotted. Who said they weren't offshore capable?

Great line-up indeed. Will be interesting to watch - will all boats carry trackers?

Interesting to see large number of production boats inc at least 3 Beneteau that I spotted. Who said they weren't offshore capable?

Yellow brick might be looking after this race, but I cant confirm that. Does auzzy know?

...inc at least 3 Beneteau that I spotted. Who said they weren't offshore capable?

Generally those that have sailed them offshore.

What like Surreal? Seem to recall they did quite well in the last big race around here.

But would be interested to hear their post-RNZ thoughts on the suitability of their Benny First. I'd be surprised if they said "never again".

Hey everyone, yep all the boats for both fleets (NZ and AUS) will be using Yellowbrick trackers. They have proven to be the best trackers and I've used them in offshore races in AUS.

More information is now coming to hand and this will be sent directly to the entrants.

We know of a few more boats that are looking to enter, if there are any that you know of and they haven't entered please tell them to do so! We want to start ramping up the media.

We have our final seminar this coming Thursday night 26th April. As usual the RAYC bar will be open and there will be some great food on offer (free of course).

FINAL NZ SAIL NOUMEA SEMINAR

The final seminar in the lead up to the 2012 Evolution Sails Sail Noumea race will be held this Thursday, 26th April from 1900 hours at Royal Akarana Yacht Club (the bar is open from 1800 hours).

Electronic navigation and Communications

• SSB versus Satellite phone?

• Ocean navigation with an iPad?

• Victor Sullivan from Electronic Navigation Ltd will answer your questions and maybe look at what the future may hold and how we might be doing this in ten years’ time.

Freight

• Details regarding the container to and from Noumea will be available at this seminar

All race entrants and interested ocean cruising/racing yachties and members are warmly invited to attend.

See you then!

What like Surreal? Seem to recall they did quite well in the last big race around here.

But would be interested to hear their post-RNZ thoughts on the suitability of their Benny First. I'd be surprised if they said "never again".

I'd certainly be more than happy to do another "offshore" race on Surreal.

She has had a pretty impressive test of her abilities over the last few years... First the roughest RNI Two Handed Race in history and backed up with a rugged RNZ race in which Chris Skinner on Truxton described as 3 times worse than the RNI and in which Sunstone used their Trysail for the first time ever while racing and their Storm Jib for the first time in a race since the '87 Fastnet... Surreal survived both races pretty much unscathed.

From what I have seen the Beneteau First's are some of the better built overseas production boats. All the deck gear seems pretty grunty, the rig is solid with some nice detailing and the boat generally well engineered. If you wanted to regularly race offshore there are only a few relatively minor changes I would make.

I think we have an over inflated opinion of how strong "Kiwi Built" boats are... Essentially unless you build a custom race boat complete with numerous ring frames and bulkheads (completely stuffing the interior for use as a cruiser) in conditions such as we experienced in the RNZ you will need to back off the gas at times and limit the slamming to avoid major damage. Any cruiser/racer has limitations and if you keep these in mind the boats are very capable. Surreal would have to be the driest and most comfortable boat that I have raced on. If you talked to any other crew at the end of the RNZ I think you will find they were pleased to have got to the finish... on Surreal we were disappointed that our adventure was coming to an end and would have loved another leg !

Hi Aussie. What is the baot on your avotar?

As the video shows it's an i550 called Tokyo Trash Baby. Was the boat I raced on back home in Brisbane. Best fun I've ever had with mates whilst racing!

There are heaps of Bene's out world cruising. Some are better than others (I prefer the Farr ones, but I'm biased!) Becuase there are some failures, they get lots of publicity as they are a large (largest?) production brand. Often the info does not get publicised with the cause, just pics/vids showing the damage. All boats can fail! The first series seems to me to be a good boat - sails well, and comfortable.

Kiwi built boats can fail as well - I remember a year or two ago a NZ boat coming back form the islands was lost with a main bulkhead failure - vid was posted on here. There are an awful lot more Benes out there... I expect them to aquit themselves well in the Auck-N race...

There are heaps of Bene's out world cruising. Some are better than others (I prefer the Farr ones, but I'm biased!) Becuase there are some failures, they get lots of publicity as they are a large (largest?) production brand. Often the info does not get publicised with the cause, just pics/vids showing the damage. All boats can fail! The first series seems to me to be a good boat - sails well, and comfortable.

Kiwi built boats can fail as well - I remember a year or two ago a NZ boat coming back form the islands was lost with a main bulkhead failure - vid was posted on here. There are an awful lot more Benes out there... I expect them to aquit themselves well in the Auck-N race...

what i find pretty amazing is just how well the beneteau's stand up to the wear and tear of chartering

I'd certainly be more than happy to do another "offshore" race on Surreal.

She has had a pretty impressive test of her abilities over the last few years... First the roughest RNI Two Handed Race in history and backed up with a rugged RNZ race in which Chris Skinner on Truxton described as 3 times worse than the RNI and in which Sunstone used their Trysail for the first time ever while racing and their Storm Jib for the first time in a race since the '87 Fastnet... Surreal survived both races pretty much unscathed.

From what I have seen the Beneteau First's are some of the better built overseas production boats. All the deck gear seems pretty grunty, the rig is solid with some nice detailing and the boat generally well engineered. If you wanted to regularly race offshore there are only a few relatively minor changes I would make.

I think we have an over inflated opinion of how strong "Kiwi Built" boats are... Essentially unless you build a custom race boat complete with numerous ring frames and bulkheads (completely stuffing the interior for use as a cruiser) in conditions such as we experienced in the RNZ you will need to back off the gas at times and limit the slamming to avoid major damage. Any cruiser/racer has limitations and if you keep these in mind the boats are very capable. Surreal would have to be the driest and most comfortable boat that I have raced on. If you talked to any other crew at the end of the RNZ I think you will find they were pleased to have got to the finish... on Surreal we were disappointed that our adventure was coming to an end and would have loved another leg !

Don't often agree wholeheartedly with Cameron but this time I do.

I think Surreal's story should finally bust the myth that modern production boats are not fit for purpose in NZ conditions - if this myth is still lingering in anyone's mind.

Anyone who still things that only locally built boats are up to the job is living in denial with an outdated view.

Archived