How long is your safety harness tether?

Pete "crash test dummy" Wedderrel. :wink:

So are your shrouds "inside" the deck so you walk outside of them? or is the idea so that the lifeline allows you to slip along to the aft to get back on? If the later, then I assume you have to unclip and clip to the jack line to get past the Shrouds??

I like Squids centre line idea and have been meaning to get mine setup that way. The idea of centreline Jackline is so that I can reach the rail, but theoretically can noit actually go over the rail.

I wondered about getting granny bars around the mast, but I only see them as being something else to get a line or sheet tangles in. Is that the case? do people find them a pain as much as an aid??

We have granny bars at the mast and they don't cause us any problems with sheets fouling or anything like that. Of course, we've got a roller furl staysail on an inner forestay so the genoa has to tack thru the slot between the inner forestay and the forestay so it keeps it all well away from the granny bars (and makes tacking a bit slow). When we're flying the staysail we've never had any issues with sheets getting tangled in granny bars either. I actually find them to be a useful step ladder for putting sail covers on and clipping halyards on, etc.

So are your shrouds "inside" the deck so you walk outside of them? or is the idea so that the lifeline allows you to slip along to the aft to get back on? If the later, then I assume you have to unclip and clip to the jack line to get past the Shrouds??

Shrouds are hard against the cabin top. Only way is to go outboard of them unless you want to be standing on the cabin top. It's a small boat so options are a tad limited.

If you go overboard you are very likely to die if singlehanding, sailing with your wife, or alone on watch. Simple.

The best I can offer is a very handy tip from a similar discussion. The suggestion is to use your spinnaker halyard to clip onto, in addition to using your harness tether. whilst working on the foredeck in heavy weather. Correctly adjusted it will prevent you from going overboard.

If coastal sailing have a EPIRB and waterproof VHF on you, and one of Safety at Sea's tethers that allow you to release your tether when being dragged under. If making a passage, think of the easiest way to reduce you suffering as your yacht sails into the blue.

Having spent a long time hanging off boats on trapezes I'm knot to sure I'd like to be slowly beaten to death by my own boat while swinging around on a halyard. But there is something in that idea to work with for sure.

The big hassle is the cock-up will happen during a supposed 30 sec trip to the mast or foredeck just to clear a tiny jamb, sheet or similar. As much as I know, and many others I've spoken too, we should clip on it is hard to get past that 'I know I shouldn't but I'll only be 30 seconds' mindset.

When solo I have a VHF within arms reach all the time. In sh*t weather it's in my pocket with a portable GPS. Working on the theory it maybe dark and I don't know where I am accurately enough..... yet again, but that's another story.

Now I'm going to jump off my boat and see what happens. Doing so much solo of late and this discussion has me wondering 'just what the f*ck would happen if I did'. If I don't come back you know it went badly :?

That's why you use the tether to your jack line as well - stops you swinging outboard and stops you hanging below the life line. You know what I mean.

Now I'm going to jump off my boat and see what happens.

News at 6. Man seen barefoot skiing behind his sailboat.Last seen disappearing over the Horizon. Exscuse me Mr Squid, did you see what happened. "Yeah I did. The guy just jumped over the side. He seemed to be havin fun as he was whoopin and Hollarin and wavin, so I waved back as he went past. He must be a good ski'er as he was doin some pretty cool tricks. One was with the rope wrapped around his neck while Brake Dancing on the water. Real cool. :wink:

Archived