Permanentlt Mounted Outboards

Changed

well I motored to westpark under new flash volvo 20 with all the bells and whistles, sat on 8.5knts in the sweet spot ( my god way over powered ) the boat draged its arse and you could have probibly just surfed the transom wave. 25 hours old, the volvo was pull and went to a more fitting home.

PT owners motor choice was a tohatsu 18hp 2 stroke from cams automotive & mirine, we fitted a 4 blade high thrust prop as well. now the motor was brand new and had to be run on an oily mix, I was told load is ok but don't ring it. so off back to town i go motor sounding sweet, no water backwash up well no transom drag, just a flat clean wake. I hadn't conected the instuments back up, so grabed my gps out of my bag and 9.2knts over ground with ease. ok there may have been a bit of tide but I must say I was impressed considering the motor had lot more availble.

got to westhaven and tried reverse etc oposite A pier prior to docking, and yes its a great prop as well. So cat 1 may be an issue, but i'm sure the set up would easily get cat 2 , key start , remote throttle, perminent home etc etc and just a string for up and down.

I forgot to add as with waka the motor can be easily removed without removeing the carrier. just with pt you've got to drop the hull plate to pull the carrier ( only 6 machine skrews )

Now regarding cat 1 thunder has a retacting outboard set up in the cabin 25hp 4 stroke from memory - someone should ask Brian what the issues were are if any getting cat 1

with pt there was close to 9ltrs of water, I hollowed the hull plate aft for water flow and had it set so it could syphon. do'nt know if it did or not. but even with the 9ltrs/ kgs of water they were still better by miles on the diesel weight/ drag

typically no, pt has about 250mm of hull rocker so I guess the water pump would just be out and the top of the prop. We set up remote flush kits so you can attach the hose and give them a rinse.

That looks like a bit of me.

So the whole bracket/outboard is raised via a tackle system, it that all?

And does it get 'locked up' or just hang off the tackle system?

Out with the chainsaw and pink bog :)

For thiose that have these systems, how do you find the noise? I've been on a couple of boats with these and they seem to make alot of noise, vibration and fuss for the amount of go they have?

Perfect idea for a 30ft boat though!

From me to. It has helped clear the mind of some rather weird ideas.

Now have to tweak my mold but that's ok. All for the greater good.

Archived