Beserk 2?

grant

from MNZ, see below, while the Ogre may like the anachist style of the trip, IMHO this guys track record isn't so flash so far. If anyone has info please PM me and I can pass it on, annouymously if you wish

Last year, RCCNZ dealt with a SAR relating to the sailing vessel Beserk, which is believed to have sunk with the loss of three lives near Antarctica.

The owner/skipper Jarles Andhoy and another crew member, Samuel Massie, were on the ice conducting an expedition to the South Pole when Beserk went missing. It later became apparent that Mr Andhoy was traveling without any permits and insurances. He was charged with this by the Norwegian Polar Institute and we understand he was fined 25 000 krone.

We have received unsubstantiated information that Mr Andhoy and Mr Massie may be aboard another vessel, again called Beserk and possibly moored somewhere in Auckland or Northland.

It is believed that this vessel is a 54 foot sailing boat. The information is that Mr Andhoy is planning to undertake a repeat of last year’s voyage.

He may/may not have the necessary paperwork or permits to undertake the voyage. Mr Andhoy has not notified MNZ of any intended departure from New Zealand at this stage.

I'm with you Grant, this tosser needs stopping big time. From my ice contacts, his last little adventure resulted in a trail of litter and fuel spills on the ice. Be adventurous but don't trash the environment or expect other people to risk their lives to save you.

Grant, if you haven't yet, it would be well wortth while to contact Bruce at the ARC marine dept and Coastgaurd up here as they both frequantly patrol all the inlets and nooks and grannies around and may well have seen the boat. It must surely stand out from anything else moored around, as it must be looking like a Chinese laundry junk with the gear required to undertake that kind of voyage.

MNZ have already sent this around the official channels, Harbourmasters and the like, I thought as the crew.org network has people in all sorts of places it was worth ago. :)

While Grant is right there is a part of me that likes the anarchistic aspect of what they are doing, I have to admit that even in my wildest days all the silly sh*t I did was just that: silly sh*t. We never tried to harm anyone or anything. And unfortunately these guys seem to have crossed the line. Certainly so in the opinions of some people on here whom I respect.

SO:

I just had a call from a journalist at the Sunday Star Times looking for more information on the boat Nilaya, which it appears they have bought.

Any info at all she said, previous history included.

More here

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6308909 ... rctica-MNZ

Feel free to post here or contact me and I'll put you in touch.

Remember watching this boat as it came on the market, certainly seemed a nice vessel.

I can't be 100% certain but I have a nagging feeling I might have seen it in Mahurangi sometime over the weekend just gone when I was there...

she was belived to have left Auckland Monday night, any either to confirm that or otherwise would be much appreciated. Any sightings since then in another port would be even better! :thumbup:

Typical jorno can't even get the facts straight when they're right in front of her. According to the Nilaya website the price is down $225k (NZ or US?) to NZ$575,000 (US$345,000). Not as per the Stuff article down to $345,000 from $570,000. So it does look like the same boat as the yachtdomain.com listing with the price at AU$720,000 (about the right ball park).

I wonder if she has permission to use the photo from the Nilaya website for her article?

That might have been a little harsh. If the Stuff article is meant to be in US$ then everything adds up.

Either way, it does look like all references are to the same vessel.

The boat was in the Viaduct Sunday afternoon, in front of the events center and it looked like the crew were working hard to fit a boom furling system. She was a lovley vessel and imaculate. In my opinion too nice to be doing that sort of trip.

The guy is certifiable!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6315949 ... Antarctica

A self-proclaimed Viking and explorer has confirmed he is heading to Antarctica from New Zealand nearly a year after his earlier polar bid ended with the deaths of three men.

Jarle Andhoey has told Oslo's Vestfold Blad that he wants to find the remains of the yacht Berserk and the three men who were aboard it.

[...]

"For me it is unreal that a boat with three men, so much deck equipment and cargo is lost without a trace, except for a torn inflatable.

"They found the only piece of equipment during the search, water bottles and various trifles.

"But we had a lot more on board that definitely should have come up."

FFS! What does he expect to find, a year later, in the waters off McMurdo, after how much sea ice has had a full year to grind and smash anything that did happen to remain on the surface...?

Irresponsible, illegal (not for the first time), fool. He's got 3 people killed already, and now this...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10781560

Customs officials have found a yacht skippered by a Norwegian man illegally making his way to Antartica.

A spokesman said a plane last night circled the Nilaya and made numerous attempts to hail it but there was no response, and no further sightings since.

At the time of the sighting the Nilaya was in international waters.

At what point does his trip become illegal?? International waters are just that, you can come and go as you wish. He has as far as I have read not broken any laws to date.

Wonder what has been spent so far, planes / boats etc. that could probably been better spent monitoring the Antarctic fishing fleet that has in the last couple of years been responsible for the deaths of a considerable No. of crewmen and definitely caused more polution that this guy ever will!

At what point does his trip become illegal??

Off the top of my head, dredging back through my memory of the stories from last year I think it is when you go below 60 degrees south without a permit/license.

Also I believe leaving New Zealand waters without complying with customs regulations is also illegal. There are restrictions around having to have CAT 1 (or is it 2, I can't remember) etc.

If he has stated he intends to to return to the same area as last year, which is south of wherever the line is that you need a permit/license to go beyond, and he has a track record of being willing to do so illegally, resulting in 3 people dying, I think the attention is probably justified.

Archived