Beserk 2?

grant

Guest Crafty 1
At what point does his trip become illegal?? International waters are just that, you can come and go as you wish. He has as far as I have read not broken any laws to date.

Wonder what has been spent so far, planes / boats etc. that could probably been better spent monitoring the Antarctic fishing fleet that has in the last couple of years been responsible for the deaths of a considerable No. of crewmen and definitely caused more polution that this guy ever will!

I'm With you on this.

Sure he had an issues in the past and sure it may cost someone / us to rescue him, but hey it costs us more to resuce russian / asian fishermen who go down to the ross sea and cause more damage to the environment and fish stock than this guy ever will.

It appears to me that some over Zealous officials, justifying thier over paid positions, are just expanding their chest to maybe stop a whole heap more explorers from travelling to a place where the Americans polluted for decades.

for me nobody should be down there full stop.

he has as much right to go down there as any other yachtie! including the rich and famous millionaires who can buy their way anywhere they please.

Whats the worst thing this guy can do in such a small yacht. Compared to the amount of damage a Herc or Starlifter does on a daily basis (Fuel burn / pollution...)

Anybody considered where all the dirty water and bio waste goes from the thousand of scientists based down there.

If we stop this guy based on his past exploit/s then you have to stop Ships entering NZ waters based on what the RENA has just done.... and we have to stop yachties sailing from NZ waters based on the many sailors that have left NZ shores and perished.

or are we two faced here???

Most yachties leaving NZ haven't already killed 3 of their crew. A little bit spurious to compare this to the Rena and the thousands of container ship movements around our coast on a weekly/monthly basis.

Cat 1 only applies to NZ registered vessels leaving NZ. On one hand I object to someone telling me what I should or shouldn't do or have, but on the other hand, a lot of it is common sense.

This particular guy shows a few symptoms of being a nutcase. Not necessarily bad in and of itself, but when others depend on said nutcase ......

They have signed on freely and with good will though. Nobody is forced to sail with this particular nutter.

At what point does his trip become illegal?? International waters are just that, you can come and go as you wish. He has as far as I have read not broken any laws to date.

Wonder what has been spent so far, planes / boats etc. that could probably been better spent monitoring the Antarctic fishing fleet that has in the last couple of years been responsible for the deaths of a considerable No. of crewmen and definitely caused more polution that this guy ever will!

I'm no legal eagle but have a bit of knowledge about Antarctica having fished and worked on land down there. The place is a neverneverland when it comes to international law. As it is not a nation and there are no customs and immigration facilities down there then the boat will possibly be deemed to have not undertaken a voyage that requires Cat 1 (ie, clearing NZ customs). The Antarctic treaty states all people who are citizens of a signatory nation are subject to that country's laws, both civilian and Antarctic Treaty specific. Norway is a signatory nation so any legal action against them would probably be up to Oslo.

At the end of the day there is an international maritime fallback called the Port & Flag State inspection that would allow MNZ to detain the boat if it suspected it was embarking on a hazardous voyage for which it or its crew wasn't fit. IMHO the Port & Flag State thing obviates the need for Cat 1 but there seems to be an unwillingness to use it on recreational vessels.

Whoever posted about commercial fishing boats doing so much damage down there should research how many boutique cruise boats have sunk etc. compared with toothfish boats.

Guest Crafty 1
Whoever posted about commercial fishing boats doing so much damage down there should research how many boutique cruise boats have sunk etc. compared with toothfish boats.

Fishing, pleasure or research... what are they doing down there???

If you allow one idiot, say Boutique cruise ships, then this guy should be allowed down there.

Does anyone know the facts about the 3 deaths? for all we know , and i have heard a rumour, he could be going down to pay his tributes and try and find out what really happened.

To revisit a site with bad memories may be deemed mad or absolutely brave depending on your motives?

To think all marine depts, police, navy, ... etc are wasting money and time on these guys, whom want to be down their, and do not have a gun at thier head, yet our Sepo "sea Shepard" freind and his fleet of "anti whale" hunters is down there trying to ram Jap whale boats (huge pollution and death potential) with no interest at all from these "over the top" officials / boffins is disturbing.

i would like to know the rel reason why they are picking on this guy.

i would like to know the rel reason why they are picking on this guy.

at a guess because the last trip ended with three crew missing presumed dead, a missing boat and two more guys needing rescuing and this trip has proceeded so far with absolutely no form of authorization, or clearances of any type and actually no one knows if the yacht is even suitably equipped for the journey, that might have something to do with it

maybe trying to avoid another SAR and more deaths??

I wonder if he left the boat's EPIRB behind.....?

Ignore them totally.... even after ANY request for help. If they don't want to play by the rules they shouldn't expect other to risk life or limb to do so also.

Steve, from hazy legal stuff memory, it's all about 'intent'. If you want to hop in your boat and do a 500nm straight line East (for example), a 180 degree turn and another 500nm returning to where you left 'just for the fun of it', no clearance is required. If you intend to depart a countries waters for another and make landfall of any sort, clearance is required. So I suspect these dudes have broken international rules. But don't quote me, it's been a while since I did and needed to remember all that.

But saying all that you do have to admire their sprit for sure.

Nice boat, me and the Wa looked at that one. Knot sure I'd take her down there though.

Have just read in Stuff that they were ordered to leave NZ, apparently that they left in such a hurry that they had a NZer on board who was still working on the boat. Another case of left hand, right hand, SNAFU. Surely they can't blame the skipper for being out there when they kicked the boat out of NZ.

I am steadily realising that a lot of what we are being fed by the powers that is not necessarily the truth / correct, just the spin that our sycophant media seem happy to continue parroting. Lazy bastards!!

I believe there is way more to this story than we are being told (by all sides).

As a result, I'm not jumping on the "he is a nutter let's lock him up" bandwagon until I get the chance to hear him tell his side of the story and the truth leaks out of the various authorities.

He is obviously a colourful character and I can believe he is driven by a passion to finish last year's abandoned challenge. With a few tweaks to the story so far, this guy would be hailed "a herioic adventurer" rather than the "most wanted skipper in the southern hemisphere". We are a fickle bunch aren't we....?

He is also obviously capable of rational thought, for example:

"Andhoey told NRK the crew had chosen to sail without an emergency beacon on board, as they did not want to put others' lives at risk in the event of an accident."

So I'm holding judgement until I hear more...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6329044/NZer-unplanned-crew-member-on-rogue-boat

Guest Crafty 1

Agree with both AC and sP.

People with vested interests (in the maritime industry) have commented here with an obvious bias... and without all the facts and or presenting the whole story.

There is also the scenario that we do not know where he is going and whose "territorial Whater" he will be sailing in eother down there or else where.

Like i said previously and ignoring the 3 deaths debate (as we don't know the facs and who is to blame, and what his intentions are down there) this guy is doing less harm than the many other idiots down their cruising, working, and researching and while leaving a dirty foot print!

And as for having a permit or certification to travel down there :crazy: well that would be an american security sham! ...

god what next X ray scanners that you have to sail through?

Worlds gone mad!

And as for having a permit or certification to travel down there :crazy: well that would be an american security sham! ...

god what next X ray scanners that you have to sail through?

Worlds gone mad!

Nope. Just more German bands signing about America :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last time he went down there a vessel was lost along with 3 lives, he left rubbish on the ice, and needed to be rescued,

I'm all for people having freedom - but when someone trashes a pristine environment to do something spectacular I get a bit pissed off because he has just made it harder for others wanting to explore these areas.

If you intend to depart a countries waters for another and make landfall of any sort, clearance is required.

That might be correct, but Jessica Watson left Australia with the intention of returning to the same port having crossed the equator twice and circumnavigated the world through international waters without making landfall anywhere. She was required to clear out of Australia and clear back in on her return.

If you are leaving the territorial waters of a nation to sail into international waters then perhaps you need to officially clear out of the country that you're leaving. Don't know .... it all gets a bit complicated really.

crafty do have a bowl on your head covered in tinfoil so the satellites can't read your thoughts?

I know that you know that they can do that, but don't going telling anyone else ok? :lol:

Guest Crafty 1
crafty do have a bowl on your head covered in tinfoil so the satellites can't read your thoughts?

I know that you know that they can do that, but don't going telling anyone else ok? :lol:

two things Grant...

Play the opinion and do not berate the person. Your post offered nothing more than a dispaly of average wit and poor taste.

and Maybe, just maybe, i, as others are, are just trying to be open minded, challenge the other sides opinions, (be the devils advocate to garner a more balanced discussion)and show that we are more open minded than someone like your self who's wages come from, and are influenced by, people in the maritime intustry.

by the way you are the only one to disagree via peronal insults on this thread. Which reflecte poorly on you :thumbdown:

People with vested interests (in the maritime industry) have commented here with an obvious bias... and without all the facts and or presenting the whole story.

Like i said previously and ignoring the 3 deaths debate (as we don't know the facs and who is to blame, and what his intentions are down there) this guy is doing less harm than the many other idiots down their cruising, working, and researching and while leaving a dirty foot print!

You really don't know sh*t do you? How about doing a little basic research before opening your trap about things you obviously know nothing about. American Security Scam, pullease. Find out a bit about the Antarctic Treaty before you discredit yourself further. If it wasn't for your obvious total lack of credibility I would suspect you were a reincarnation STS amongst oothers. As it is you just come across as a mindless little troll who can't even offer decent advice on paint.

Archived