63 ft Lidgard

I know this has been done before, but from Wa state to here is say three months sailing (and fun). Buy it for say 125k, pay the duty and GST at a guess 20k. If you couldn't plonk it on the sales berth at Whaven for under 200k I'll shoot myself. Now what's a quickie price here???? (OK I'll do the varnish and service the decks).

Why knot.

If it's $125K NZ the duty will be $6250 and GST will be $15625.

Having spent the 'too long' sussing boats of a similar ilk, I'd say gussied up that could be a 300K boat, even more if gussied using a little Gucci gear.

125000 for the boat

21900 tax and the other tax

50000 for prep and the trip home?? (a no mucking around budget there :) )

200K round figures.

Sell for 250000 plus broker fees.

So 50K for a month of playing on a boat plus 3 months of cruising. That's better than the dole....just.

Less income tax, less ACC, less OSH signage, less Lab Dept health and safey regs, less allowance for the Govt to backdate things at will for 6 years, less Koha to appease the Taniwha and a Nett result of ....... you owe 35K.... plus penatlies :)

It does appear a cheap buy though. Maybe the owner just 'got over it' and wants it gone. A bit of that being seen lately.

I reckon with current state of US markets, you would get it for far less than that. Probably 100K would be more like it. It would certainly be worth going in at that or in fact, go in even lower and see what happens. Then perhaps reluctantly raise to 100K, but play hard ball. They are in great pain over there at the moment.

One point, they say it's a composite Hull. She's a Glass over timber. No biggy, but not what I would have called composit.

Not many hrs on the Engine for that many years. But I would be concerned if she has sat unused for sometime. Rust and other forms of corrosion is going to be a concern in many areas. The prop could need some maintenance. It depends on how clean the hull has been kept or if she has sat for sometime.

She is going to need a hell of a lot of work. Everything is looking old and tired. So you might be needing new lines and perhaps sails etc. What i would be concerned with is the Rig. I can't make much out in the photo's, but it almost looks Galv. That could be good. But if it isn't Galv, it must be very rusty/dirty SST and that is a concern.

So to condense, she will take a lot of work and a fair bit of money to get $250K in the NZ market. But with a hell of a lot of work and little more money, she could easily command a lot more I reckon. I reckon she could be a $300-350K boat. What a beautiful Deck. Cabin is a bit "block'ish". Not sure i like the aft steering pit and she needs a lovely wooden wheel :wink:

One point, they say it's a composite Hull. She's a Glass over timber. No biggy, but not what I would have called composit.

I lived on a vessel that was of composite construction - timber hull & frames and Iron knees - how the meaning / implication of a phrase changes over time :)

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/boa/1705985478.html

Gary Mull NZ 45 IORC Racer/Cruiser - $15000 (Lahaina)

Date: 2010-04-23, 8:03AM HST

Reply to: sale-2cjbn-1705985478@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

45 foot racer/cruiser outhauled 2009 for bottom work.Demasted Oct 2009 and now needs new mast and rigging.Engine has blown head gasket.New teak and holly sole,good nav instruments,life raft,

queen aft cabin.Project boat but very seaworthy hull.Owner discouraged by loss of rig.Make offer.E-mail if interested and will send photos.

Any opinions on how much to put a new rig in this boat in NZ?If it could be somehow sailed to NZ with a jury rig how much might it be worth when its fixed?

With the rig already down, I'd have thought it's begging to be put on a ship. Anyway, someone will come through with an estimate on the rig.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is that those very distinctively-IOR boats, despite having good interiors and gear etc, can take a fair while to find a new home.

This is a boat launched at Lake Superior and named Eileen Rose. Kevin Lidgard ran the job in Minnesota until she was turned over with the deck frame in. Owner Bates, an expat Kiwi then took over with help from various young Kiwi boatbuilders and some local lads wanting to learn. I have never seen the completed boat, but photos seem to show pretty crude joinery. But she should sail quite well for a 1978 design. Bates was a science lecturer at the University of Minnesota. Not very practical. I know the boat was sailing on the East Coast so assume they cruised to Washington State.

Archived