SOS Queens Wharf Sheds

Fusion

Napier and Wellington have shown what can be done with wharf sheds. But no, the wankers (govt, arc, acc) have to bowl down everything and put up a tent.

As an aside, a client of mine has offered to create a semi permanent amusement park with fairground rides, roller coaster, bright lights and attractions on the wharf from summer 2010 through to the world cup. A bit like at Santa Monica. They have all the quality portable rides to move things around as space changes during development. They would import a new flagship attraction. It would not cost the ratepayers/taxpayers a cent and would return rent from day one. Guess what, nobody is interested

Totally agree with SD. Wellington has done a magnificent job with the boundary of that cold windy harbour.

And no surprise no-one's interested in that other option. They appear knot to want what the punters would actually enjoy and/or use.

The whole thing is a ludicrous fiasco of the 1st order.

One of the Wellington sheds now has a coffee bean importer/roaster/grinder/retailer happily ensconsed.

The raw beans are piled on shelves in bags as they would have been 100 years ago, in view of the latte slurping masses. :)

Ahhh, the old short term planning cycle of scorched earth followed by temporary building ad infinitum.

Waste after waste. I'm tired of it. Often the quality of what is pulled down is far higher than the quality of the shiny and new which replaces it.

Old buildings like this are sought after venues the world over, especially when they are as close to the centre of a city as these are, and even more so as they are on the waterfront.

Will NZ politicians and planers ever learn? Or is it the lure of a building contract that is, through the machinations of politics, holding sway here?

Geeeez, I really have to up the dosage on my "Anti grumpy old man" pills. I'll try to be more positive from now on...

Another white elephant with a pollies name on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember a wharf, lets call this wharf say......Devonport, lets remember a hue and cry of how this important structure needed to be made attractive, people friendly, and an asthetic gateway to wonderous Devonport, lets remember just how much noise was made by a long gone not really associated with the place "committee", now we dont need to remember anymore do we!!!!! it's a f**king eyesore, it's appeal as a gateway to Devonport is f**king abysmal, it is a cold featureless structure that lacks any soul and the only constructive thing achieved was to put up something worse that the original........and who chose the f**king color????????

So let's imagine that You and I are going to happily see more of our rates and taxes dissappear into another horse designed by a committee........I will actually on one proviso.......they are accountable for the end result until they stop breathing!!!!!!!!!

From the herald today.

Danish restaurant named best in the world

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=10641153

Danish restaurant Noma - voted best in the world by the panel of more than 800 international critics, journalists and food experts - serves up Nordic specialities in a converted 18th century shipping warehouse.

So why can't Auckland do it?

probably because ours are only 20th century!

what cracks me up is that if you go to http://www.queenswharf.org.nz/

and see 'who's involved' - its the same party of four who just can't help but bicker to the media like kiddies in a sandpit to the teacher. The whole thing's just a big ego wank for these guys. In the overall context the money's minor (a private firm is putting more money than this into a 'sporting' development in Stanley St. and there would be only 1 or 2 here that know anything about it!) and yet our own 3 tiers of govt. can't sit around a table for 5 mins. and figure out whats in the best interests for this little piece of shitty old (and I mean falling down old) concrete! Just f&^#(n' diabolical!

Roll on the next Tsumami I say - that'd take the decision away from all these plonkers!

Bowl em! - they are ugly - just because a structure is 98 years old doesn't mean it is worth saving - Yes Wellington's sheds were worth restoring - they are a completely different design and construction.

Does this mean that in 100 years time people will be screaming "save those lovely Nelson Street apartments" - hopefully they will fall down before then!

Put up tents (as used each year at the Munich Beer festival) for the stupid RWC - I'm sick of it already - then take some time to put in place an iconic Kiwi structure we can all be proud of - woops just saw a pig fly past my window!

There you are - that will get some of you goingl

I actually (in a previous life) pioneered these in NZ - since sold the business to what is now 'Carlton Party hire' An example is what you would see on the Viaduct wharves at the boat show - although the Munich ones are higher, bigger, flasher.

I offered some free advice and sent in some pics and suggestions for their use re RWC to John Banks and Murray McCulley last year - not even a reply

During the festival of Arts in Welly, they put up an antique theatre tent thingy that has stained glass windows, sloping floor, a bar etc that is very cool.

It's like a mini circus tent but flasher. Way cool!!

As the tentant of shed 10 for the last ten years I can assure you all that nothing less than a wrecking ball is what is needed to fix them... they are poked.

I agree with L'escale 100%. They are old, cold, knackered..demo them.

Anyone who thinks they have historical value, think about this, my great father, grand father, father and myself have all worked in or around those sheds in one way of another and I dont feel one bit inclined to even keep one iota of them. The other shed is another issue as it is working coolstore.. something that Auckland has a shortage off.

Whilst I didnt agree with the whoever now owns it being given them back (for now obvious reasons), now they do have them (who does own it, I pay attention and I still cant figure it out), I certainly dont think they should keep those horrible bloody things.

If anyone here thinks they are art deco, well, you need to move to Darwin, or Broom, you would fit in there nicely with your romans and socks.

Whatever they do in the short term, long term they need to build a bloody nice and effective cruise ship terminal. Next time yer down that way note the passanger ramps on Princess Wharf.. then note the henious apartment block they are built into.

Whoever was in charge in the 80s needs to be keelhauled and I am extremely nervous that that is going to happen again

Why didn't someone buy the Mt Smart Supertop for $10 on trademe for crying out loud! If they want a tent - now that's a tent! It has more historical value than those crappy looking sheds. And the Supertop is has been Party Central at times. OK it won't be $10 any more and I know it cost 10 K to take down, but surely if they're doing it on a budget there it is!

Archived