Heating

Fogg

Thinking about installing heating on AC to extend the comfortable cruising season. Don't know much about it other than some kind of diesel heater pumping warm air to 1-2 outlets in AC's cabin would probably be ideal (35ft).

Eberspacher is the only name I'm familiar with.

Any pointers on other makes and installation experience/cost?

I will watch this thread with interest, I'm a huge fan of cabin heaters. Anyone have experience with the catalytic ones.

Big issue is condensation - has to be vented.

Olin Stevens (spell?) recommended in an article or book:

1). To keep warm, a coal fire + 1 ton of best coal (antricite coal??).

2). A plank with a hole in it as a non-blocking toilet.

Diesel is probably the preferred option being that you already carry a reasonable volume of it, its the safest of the fuels to carry and plumb, and actually has a pretty high calorific value.

There are the Eberspacher units which are blowers, or the "fire" type ( Dickinson Marine ) which are supposedly more efficient, but take up more space. Webasto also make blower types.

As for efficiency, the blower types will output approx 1Kw for 110mls diesel burnt I believe, and will consume approx 20 to 30 watts power for the blower, maybe more for a larger unit.

Most smaller units are approx .5 - 2.5Kw, or similar output to a large domestic heater. This is quite a lot in the air volume of a 35' yacht, and would take very little time to warm the saloon. I assume the boat has quarterberths as opposed to an aft cabin?

LPG/Gas fired units are cheaper, however can burn a lot of gas fairly quickly!.

The Dickinson heaters can have a water heater built into them ( as in, wetback type of arrangement ) and also are externally vented, meaning no fumes and no condensation. They also are quite low power draw, I believe less than 10w.

Eberspacher is the only name I'm familiar with.

Any pointers on other makes and installation experience/cost?

That's what we fitted in many yachts. Often with its own small S/S fuel tank in the lazarette, but it's a good idea to have a system to drain this tank back into the main fuel tank and / or another system to fill this heater tank from the main fuel tank. Small electical fuel lifting pump is OK. A proper sight glass on the tank (or a piece of clear tubing) avoids over filling but allows easy top-ups.

I would have the chimney made in a "H" shape, and be removable and replaced with a good sealing deck plate, like an oversized fuel/water filler deck fitting, about 4" 100mm.

I use a Webasto one. LPG powered, 1.7kw, and 1/4 the price of the diesel ones. Same as them, the combustion is "outside" the boat - it draws in air, then passes it over a heat exchanger, and expells thru exhaust. There is no condesation problem. it dries the boat really well. It is thermostatitcally controlled, and therfore switches on and off automatically. If it is very cold, it can use 4.5kg of gas in a week.

Bought thru Burnsco a few years ago for about $1000 if I remember correctly. The diesel ones are 4-5k

Yeah I understand that LPG are lower initial cost but higher cost of running esp if v cold.

I'm in favour of a diesel system that can share my main engine fuel tank if poss, rather than installing a seperate tank?

And I've now heard that Webasto diesel heaters are getting good reviews from owners compared to Eberspacher. Apparently the Webastos have stronger fans which is good for longer lengths of ducting pipe. And more reliable - from a few anecdotal bits I've heard so far?

Put all but one of your wash boards in. Turn on stove. Open stove door for 10mins. Job Done.

I though AC had a good warm feeling about her so I am wondering why you have gone so soft and/or why the need for a heater.

You haven't found a tattooed Maori fella and some hairy Norwegian dude both, loaded with Antarctic gear, hiding onboard have you?

Reminds me of a very nice Launch buillt in Blenheim. Stunning looking boat, 72ft and in Alloy and she runs through the water like a dream. The builder was more commercial though and this was the first real nice kind of build he had done. So although the job was really good, there was a little finess lacking in some area's. The owner the boat was being built for, asked the builder about heating and the Builder simply said, you just turn the oven on and open the door a smigeon. He was quite serious.

would also suggest you look at electric, possibly cheaper, easier but not good for continual long periods. small generator in aft locker ? also having other uses. additional batteries. try one on the marina you may be surprised how little (ouput) you need especially as no venting is required and they're dry.

I'm not sure what sort of range of catalytic gas heaters are available but we brought one designed as a tent heater from Smiths City for $30. I plumbed it up with SS tube and bracketed it to the deckhead with a heat shield above. It was "just" enough for our little boat but that was in the deep south during the coldest winter in 60 years, routinely below zero. No condensation issues but we did keep the saloon ventilated.

The whole winter we went through less the 1/2 a 9kg bottle.

We put an Eberspacher on Bad Kitty, the hydronic one that heats glycol & pumps it thru little heater matrix's like a car heater. It also puts it thru the hot water cylinder & heats the hot water for the boat.

Uses so little diesel that it's hard to quantify really, and heats the boat in 1 minutes.

Would definately fit one again, if you are interested PM me & I'll put you in touch with the man.

That's an interesting idea, KM, although I don't really need hot water as well - have a late model gas califont that works very effectively. Does it blow through little vents at various points around the boat?

Put all but one of your wash boards in. Turn on stove. Open stove door for 10mins. Job Done.

I though AC had a good warm feeling about her so I am wondering why you have gone so soft and/or why the need for a heater.

You haven't found a tattooed Maori fella and some hairy Norwegian dude both, loaded with Antarctic gear, hiding onboard have you?

I have done the same only just put in the top wash board left the bottom open closed the hatch with an inch gap and roast a chicken. It kept the heat in and the smell :-)

I would go a small gas heater if I didn't have an 80lt hot water cylinder under the chart table. Just open the draw above and its warm all night.

But gas produces wet heat, more condensation which is a big problem overnight when it's cold. The same reason using the gas stove/oven for warmth is a false comfort, it just makes everything horribly damp, bedding etc.

That's an interesting idea, KM, although I don't really need hot water as well - have a late model gas califont that works very effectively. Does it blow through little vents at various points around the boat?

The glycol one on Bad Kitty pushes hot glycol to heaters which look like little radiators, then small fans like computer fans blow the hot air out.

Or the other version just runs hot air ducting to where you want it, heats air not the glycol.

The advantage of the glycol version we use is for heating the hot water.

You can also bend up a pipe into a towl rail shape, run the glycol thru that & have a heated towel rail if you get really carried away!

:D

But gas produces wet heat, more condensation which is a big problem overnight when it's cold. The same reason using the gas stove/oven for warmth is a false comfort, it just makes everything horribly damp, bedding etc.

More importantly is generates the silent killer gas carbon monoxide. It has no smell and just gently puts you into a sleep that you never wake up from. Remember the guys that died out at Raglan when they put the gas BBQ into their hutt to keep them warm :crazy:

A lot of countries won't even let you run unflued gas heaters in your home because of the risks.

Archived