First Yacht purchase ....Advice form the Sages please

ScoobaGurl

Phew a dirth of information ....thank-you all I will go through this tonight and see where I'm at.

Loving that D28 CO ...... she's really cute ...... need to be careful of the 'emotional buy' but might want to go look at that one

BBL

N

Phew a dirth of information ....thank-you all I will go through this tonight and see where I'm at.

Loving that D28 CO ...... she's really cute ...... need to be careful of the 'emotional buy' but might want to go look at that one

BBL

N

One last bit of advice - be prepared for some disappointing news when you get the survey done. There will be issues which you will no doubt have not picked, and there is simply not going to be a second hand boat which a good surveyor will not find an issue with. Of course, a good surveyor will also tell you if you should be still pursuing the yacht in spite of those issues ( at the agreed price ), maybe renegotiating the price, or walking away. They know what is on the market, and what the market is for most types of craft. A good surveyor will also be helpful before you actually commit to a survey, and will also assist with suggestions of what should be done ASAP, in due course, or when you can afford the time/money.

There is one surveyor I trust in the upper north island. He is great for the buyer, although he will pick a lot of issues ( often very minor, but will draw attention to them ). I know that brokers do not like it when he arrives for a survey... PM me if you want his details. He is not cheap, but he is worth it, specially if your investing a significant amount of money into a yacht. I am by no means saying he is the only good surveyor around, but he is the only one I have encountered. I have seen some spend 2 hours on a 40' yacht. The one I trust would spend 12-16 hours on the same boat.

And don't undercook your maintenance and "initial upgrades" budget.

It seems to be almost inevitable that we end up buying boats that the previous owner fell out of love with/ceased maintaining six months or more ago.

Sure it only needs a couple of new lines, a block or two, a blown bulb here and there, and an up-to-date flare pack...you will be surprised how easily it adds up to a grand.

Some of the recent postings about things that can break on the delivery or the first few sails are right on the money, in my experience.

You won't regret it :thumbup: but everything works better if you go into it with accurate expectations. And if it turns out better than I have suggested, there are so many ways you can spend the extra cash.

One of the interesting aspects of first boat buying is whether you buy small and 'work up' through the models so to speak.

If you buy a D28, you buy range in that you'll find that you won't outgrow it quickly. They're terrific fit for purpose yachts and the purpose they were designed for is to be good safe moderately fast cruisers for the hauraki gulf and local coastline. Much more usable space inside than an H28 too.

You wouldn't want to make any buy decisions without first going out on a Davidson 28 as a comparison. They are an aweful lot of boat for the money, they are roomy and handle well. A good boat for the Hauraki Gulf. These were closer to 40K when I was looking to buy first time around.

Take a look at this one on trademe as an example.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-471311286.htm

They even have a double berth :-)

I think that "emotional" thing needs to happen Scoobagirl. As long as the survey comes out well you are on a winner.

For me the look is important. I'd want to feel proud walking up to her. For me it does not need to be flash but salty and functional. I wonder how the d28 compares to the h28 going into the wind. I'm guessing the d28 would eat a h28 to windward .

I agree the emotional component is critical, BUT you need to be able to be objective enough to make a sensible decision and possibly walk away from a boat you love if it isn't the right deal for you (difficult, I know) or if it needs more care and attention that you can afford to give.

The ideal result is a boat that you can look at as you're rowing away from her and be thinking to yourself "Goddam, that's the best looking boat in the bay!".

Loving your boat is the only way you'll be able to cope with the many challenges she'll throw at you over the course of your ownership. :)

I agree the emotional component is critical, BUT you need to be able to be objective enough to make a sensible decision and possibly walk away from a boat you love if it isn't the right deal for you (difficult, I know) or if it needs more care and attention that you can afford to give.

The ideal result is a boat that you can look at as you're rowing away from her and be thinking to yourself "Goddam, that's the best looking boat in the bay!".

Loving your boat is the only way you'll be able to cope with the many challenges she'll throw at you over the course of your ownership. :)

:wink: And she will throw challenges :P guaranteed. Loving her allows you to let her get away with it!

And I thought you lot were a bunch tough weatherbeaten old seadogs, and here you are talking like a bunch of girl's blouses :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I thought you lot were a bunch tough weatherbeaten old seadogs, and here you are talking like a bunch of girl's blouses :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had not realised the two were exclusive. :wink:

And, for the record, some of us ARE girls - well - were once :lol:

Hehehe - if you're not emotionally invested in your boat you might as well stay ashore and book your spot on the couch in front of the telly and follow rugby or something.

Hehehe - if you're not emotionally invested in your boat you might as well stay ashore and book your spot on the couch in front of the telly and follow rugby or something.

Or just go and buy a fizz boat :sailor:

The wisdom that pours from these forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been able to "justify" owning a boat. It is totally irrational. But made easier if you live aboard.

The wisdom that pours from these forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been able to "justify" owning a boat. It is totally irrational. But made easier if you live aboard.

Gooday 'vertically sufficient - white' - "if you live aboard" - is that why you wanted a dry 'tramp' (he he) between the hulls on your '1/2 side challenged' vessel???? Msg - from an 'intellectually challenged OZ

Yes well Ogre since the man boobs thing happened I've found my touchy feely side. ( :lol: and something else to play with :lol: )

If it's any help, don't rush. It's winter coming up anyway so take your time.

I, being the anal sod that I am, put a spreadsheet together when I was looking at my first keeler.

Had columns for length, number of berths, must haves (in my case roller furler, decent motor and walk thru transom), type of engine, number of hours, hull type (timber/glass etc) etc etc. More columns than I could shake a stick at! :lol:

Then I trolled for 6 months Trade Me and Trader Boat and listed all the boats within the price range I was looking at (and go to at least $35K in your case - owners will/often come down to your price).

Then I researched all the yacht reviews I could find on the internet on each yacht that ended up being the most obvious in the the price range - in your case D28s (great boats), various Townsons, various Spencers, Chico, Nova 28, Marauder 8.4, Lidgard 29/30 (might be a bit pricey), Easterly 30, plus various others. And there are publications at "BoatBooks" shop and the library that have useful stuff as well.

If you do that, you'll end up with a very short list. At least, I did.

Then ring a few sellers and go take a look at a few............... see if you like them, compare the different types etc (take a sailor or 2 with you for some "expert" comments).

Try and stick to a class boat, not an orphan (for resale if nothing else).

I'd help you with the reviews but we shifted recently and the hard copies are currently geographically embarrassed. Lost, as it were. And I didn't keep the soft copies on the computer - duh!

Hope that helps. Best piece of advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME.............then research, get expert advice when you get close to a decision, get a survey, buy her, fall in love with her, sail away. :thumbup:

No no no Terry, bad, bad.

fall in love with it regardless of size , cost or anything else, get a survey , buy it and then just make everything else fit around it.

Just do it , show committment, show passion , show your bank manager. Dont yell at your wife/ partner. It'll all work out. Be happy and cool sailing off into the sunset :D 8)

Hey John B, I'm trying to be helpful here! :clap: Practical. Showing the wisdom of my years etc.

In the end, I got a shortlist, fell in luv anyway and bought a yacht/class that was 3rd on my preferred list.

But she was Ssssooooooo pretty......................... :thumbup:

And I'm still in love. And poorer. But I don't fecking care :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived