Can you help Edwin?

Edwin Delaat is infatuated with sailing, so much so he has his own Farr 727 CRACK-A-JAC.

He already has a string of achievement's to his name including SSANZ 2 handed, Coastal Classic, White Island, Farr 727 nationals and more, all before he has had his 14th birthday. Amongst his goals are to compete in the Volvo Ocean Race and Jules Verne Trophy. he has just returned from his first offshore as crew on the super yacht Celandine http://sycelandine.com/

Edwin has been offered a berth on the upcoming Auckland to Fiji race and needs your help.

If you can help Edwin please contact him directly through his website http://www.edwinsail.com/

Read his story, follow this young achiever, anything girls can do boys can do too. :thumbup:

Edwin has been offered a berth on the upcoming Auckland to Fiji race and needs your help.

In what way exactly?

My daughter wants to go to France on an exchange program, can you all please send money.

Sorry, I don't get it.

Edwin has just called me to say that he has secured support from 2 companies today :clap: and has had 2 deposits of cash into his account :thumbup:

keep it up folks 8)

I'm with Squid - you've got a guy just into his teens, who already owns a keeler and travels oceans on superyachts wanting help to stump up for a trip most of us would love to do.

Is it just because he's young?

young, enthusiastic, organised, determined, passionate, not negged by old farts, willing and able to take his yachting to the highest level, if you don't understand the difference, then don't help that's fine too.

However if you would like to support his ambitions then send him a message of support.

Have to agree with Rangi1 and Squid there. Love his attitude, and good on him with his efforts with Crackajack, but you lost me with the hand out request. What for? Return airfares? Sometimes you just have to say "Not Possible son. Sorry". Or it's time to get that after school job....

Diferent story if it's say representing NZ at an international competition or something, and there's a few Opti sailors looking for help in that direction to get to say the Worlds or Europeans, but they have won their place against the best the rest of NZ can muster. A different case entirely!

My boat needs a repaint. Any donations gratefully accepted, and you'll get to enjoy seeing it looking good for years. Every time you see it on the harbour you'll be able to say with pride "I helped pay for that". Cheers everyone.

If the young fella has got off his bum and is trying to achieve something, good on him. If his desires need coin he's allowed to ask surely. It's knot like he's expecting out of right as some yachts people appear to think is what should happen in certain areas. And we all know if you aren't in the Olympic Squad the chances of getting any help are pretty much zero.

If he's that motivated he has a boat and an apparent huge desire to go further, why knot ask for assistance. We can't knock someone for being as motivated as he appears to be. He's only asking, knot demanding, which is far better than some others have done. Giving assistance isn't compulsory.

I'd suggest he would be happy with just a small proportion of what some of those Opti dudes have gone through. Some play with some surprisingly large numbers.

If the young fella has got off his bum and is trying to achieve something, good on him. If his desires need coin he's allowed to ask surely. It's knot like he's expecting out of right as some yachts people appear to think is what should happen in certain areas. And we all know if you aren't in the Olympic Squad the chances of getting any help are pretty much zero.

If he's that motivated he has a boat and an apparent huge desire to go further, why knot ask for assistance. We can't knock someone for being as motivated as he appears to be. He's only asking, knot demanding, which is far better than some others have done. Giving assistance isn't compulsory.

I'd suggest he would be happy with just a small proportion of what some of those Opti dudes have gone through. Some play with some surprisingly large numbers.

I dunno. This one just doesn't feel right to me. It's not sponsorship, there is no return. It's not his boat, he is just crew. What's the diference between that and Squid's Daughter's overseas trip? Not a lot I would say.

Yup. Some of the Opti kids parents are well healed, but some really struggle, and it's not cheap. But the kids have earned their place through hard competition and you cannot buy the skills that they have learned, you can only gain them by time on the water and competition. A $2000 Opti can easily beat the latest $5500 (I kid you not) Winner Opti if the $2K kid sails one shift better than the $5.5K kid. There's nothing in it. It is all skill, and a small amount of luck but not much. So they earn their place...

I dunno, maybe I am getting old and grumpy, but I had to earn the money to pay for my boats and trips, even at 16... Tell me I'm wrong. It seems like Begging to me......

Edwin wants to follow in the footsteps of Blake :thumbup:

He offers a profile that will attract media coverage, the return on your support will be country wide. :clap:

He has the connections to show his gratitude. :thumbup:

He offers a passion that rises above the negitivity that seems to populate this website. :oops:

He will do far more than most of the members of this website can ever dream of.

He is getting on with his sailing and his school work. :clap:

He has had support from members of the sailing community with both $$ and product.

If you can't understand why someone like Edwin needs a helping hand from those of us that can, then crawl back under your rock :shh: and let those of us that can help lend the guiding hand.

sometimes this forum is worse than talkback radio, wine, winge, wine, winge some more.

:crazy:

It's a forum, where we're all entitled to state our opinion - even you! There's no negativity towards Edwin. Just to him putting his hand out and asking for money in return for nothing - despite what you say. Good on you for going in to bat for him, but I dare say that you slagging people off like that isn't helping Edwin one bit.

I hope he gets to go sailing and I admire his tenacity and fortitude, but if he's really got a yacht of his own, paid for by himself at that age, maintained and moored out his own finances, he needs to come to us and show us how he does it, cos he knows something I don't!

I dunno. This one just doesn't feel right to me. It's not sponsorship, there is no return. It's not his boat, he is just crew. What's the diference between that and Squid's Daughter's overseas trip? Not a lot I would say.

Neither would I and I wouldn't have any issue with a Miss Squid, as an example, popping up and saying something along the lines of 'I'm off to Whataphuka to fulfilled a dream to study the mating habits of the endangered 'Dads Hair' '.

If she it that motivated, good on her for trying to solicit what help she can from where ever, just like the young dude.

I suppose you could call it begging but I'd prefer to call it 'asking for assistance'. It's knot like the young fella or Miss Squids example above is 'Gimme money so I can buy P' or some other go no where purpose in life, that would be begging.

From my point of view the kids of today are going to be rolled nastily by so many things it's spooky. To see any one of them with a dream and the gumption to get off their butt and try to sate their desires, I think is magnificent and should be encouraged. Those that don't will only become low paid no ambition process working fodder for those who did.

I know of at least one Opti dude who has chewed through enough money in 2 years to finance me a new 35fter and then campaign it in the RNI. Yes some do it hard but more than a couple aren't. And it is THEIR choice to do that just as it is the young fellas to go his way. None of them are owed anything by any of us but we are free to help some, all or just one if we so desire.

More just trying to say that as the young fella has shown a strong desire to get off his butt and do something with his life we shouldn't knock whatever methods he thinks maybe required to assist in that.

Think back and on more than one occasion a dude called Peter Blake was knocking on doors out of the blue and saying 'I want to sail a yacht around the world but have no coin, wanna help me with some?'. Probably he worded it a bit better though :) A lot of his was called sponsorship yet didn't get any or a great ROI. Some do give/help just for their own pleasure you know ;)

:lol: And now I'm off Opti sailing. The knot so cheap roto molded shitters though :D

Heeeeey... Yachtyakka. I think you're way out of line there.

I think what Edwin is doing is great. I have 2 Sons 12 and 9, and if they show half his enthusiasm and committment I will be delighted but somehow I doubt they will. He is a rare kid indeed.

To say that Edwin will exceed what people on this website have done is pretty ignorant as you have no real idea what a lot of us have done. You don't know me from a bar of soap, so how can you judge?

I am just uncomfortable with the approach for money without clear goals or what it is for, and why we should contribute. I think you will find that Peter Blake started by building his own yacht and that when he finally went looking for sponsors, one of his biggest gifts was to make sure the sponsor could see what Peter was doing for them.

There are lots of kids out there with dreams looking for finance. I just cannot see that crewing on the Auckland to Fiji race requires a whole lot of finance, and it's a trip many of us would love to do.. All I can see are air fares and maybe a survival course? Start working!!

Like AA said, it's a Forum, and we can express opinions. Just because they are not the same as yours doesn't mean you automatically flame us..

Archived