Nexus Series 2

Megwyn

Me again . . . The nexus wind instrument has not worked since we bought the boat.

The other weekend Himself went up the mast and brought the transmitter down (its wireless).

I have tried initialising it multiple times, and also re-calibrating the display unit many times.

At first, the display would show wind direction for a couple of minutes, then loose it. We thought maybe it was a battery problem, so I bought a new battery for it.

Battery charged on the window sill for a few days and we tried again. This time we got about 5 mins of data, then nothing. It would loose data after about 5 mins everytime I re-initialised it.

So we bought it back home again and attached it to the deck banister in full sun to ensure it was properly charged, and tried again today.

This time we get no data at all! I have tried re- initialising the transducer/transmitter/solar powered wireless unit. I have re-calibrated the instrument display. I have read the trouble shooting instructions and done all that they say. The display unit does not re-init - it wont. We have checked the wiring, disconnected stuff and reconnected, experienced problems and reconnected again. Everything appears to be talking now (as in no error messages), but we still get no read out on the display.

Any ideas what I can do next? I am stufferood - and I so HATE computer stuff beating me!

M

You'll need to find the readout for "RSI", that's the radio strength indicator. Keep hitting "+" on the log and you will see it come up. Anything less than 20 and it may drop the wireless signal.

I've just moved my WSI box (the bit that picks up the radio signal) to the bow and I no longer have any trouble signal drop-outs.

Step 1: Wait patiently until Tuesday.

Step 2: Contact the suppliers, Kiwi Yachting Consultants, who have ownership of the Nexus product in the full sense of the word and are out there using it on the water themselves. Talk to Blair (Gappy) or Peter Wolf (Wolfy).

They will be able to tell you right away whether it is something that can be re-set as you have been attempting or whether it requires some other solution.

http://www.kiwiyachting.co.nz/content/contact-us

:thumbup:

Sorry to hear bout your probes M. I know it was all working at some stage as I remember being hoisted up the mast to put it there. It did take a bit of snagging around to make it all talk but in the end it did. Hope you get it fixed. I'm sure Pedro will offer you a money back guarantee - that is on the whole boat :lol:

Sorry to hear bout your probes M. I know it was all working at some stage as I remember being hoisted up the mast to put it there. It did take a bit of snagging around to make it all talk but in the end it did. Hope you get it fixed. I'm sure Pedro will offer you a money back guarantee - that is on the whole boat :lol:

All boats have probs AA - and it always takes a while to sort out the ones you buy them with, then new ones appear :D

I just hate being beaten by these computerised bitties. :twisted:

Just spoken to Woolfy - and I need to send the whole unit up to him. This is not something I can fix myself.

Thanks Murky for your advise.

M

Good b*ggers eh?! My experience has been that their focus is on making sure their gear is working for the users - everyone should be that way but they aren't.

And now only one more trip to the top of the mast required once it's ready to go again. :thumbup:

:D It's not me who gets to navigate the mast, it is me who hoists Himself up there.

I counted 100 revolutions between the two sets of spreaders. The rest was lost in the haze of oxygen deprivation :lol: .

One or two more hoists - we need to get the anchor light up there - currently undergoing repair. It may be able to wait until the nexus is ready, but hoisting Himself up the mast is really not that hard, and darn good exercise of a calm and quiet morning. . .

At the risk of throwing yet another variable into the mix, did you realise the anchor light does not necessarily need to be at the masthead?

There are diverging...vastly diverging opinions as to what is the most effective/visible approach. Here is one of the previous threads on the topic - suffice to say that it gets a pretty good working-over but all angles get covered in there:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18774

Over to you...

I have been told we can also legally use it as a steaming light . . . the one at the masthead blew a bulb, the replacement I could find was not visible at 2nm - so the decision was made to upgrade to LED. Seeing as it can perform 2 tasks, back to the masthead we go :wink:

Just remember if you want to have 2 anchor lights you can, just get the fwd one higher than the aft one.

This might be the rule you have been refered too:

22.23 Power-driven vessels underway

(3) (a) Instead of the lights prescribed in rule 22.23(1) -

(i) a power-driven vessel of less then 12 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights; and

That would be the one Rigger - we had a discussion that the stern light would be okay also - not quite kosher, but not a real prob.

If Himself had his way, she would be lit up like a christmas tree at night on anchor - one on the prodder, one on each ama, one on the masthead, and one in the cockpit lol. Reckons we can get away with 3 anyway as we have 3 hulls :wink:

22.30 Anchored vessels and vessels aground

(1) A vessel at anchor must exhibit where it can best be seen -

(a) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one black ball; and

(B) another all-round white light at or near the stern at a lower level than thelight in the fore part;

BUT if the vessel is less than 50 metres in length it may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights referred to in subparagraphs (a) and (B) of this paragraph.

(2) A vessel of 100 metres or more in length must also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate its decks when at anchor. Any other vessel at anchor may do so also.

(3) A vessel of less than 7 metres in length at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway, anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, is not required to exhibit the shape prescribed for a vessel at anchor.

as much deck lighting as you want :thumbup:

Sorted.

Sent it off to Wolfy at Kiwi Yachting, and he has fixed it for us. Unfortunately no longer under warranty, but now it is going, we get to see how close to the wind we are sailing. . .

Thanks for all your help everyone.

M

Archived