General Lee

If you can get down for a look Whispers ll has been alongside on the hard. One of NZ's famous offshore yachts, next to updated thinking 40 years on.

John Spencer was ahead of his time, although Whispers foils were replaced along the way.

And I suppose the water hasn't changed since then

Brett - welcome back. That boat certainly seems to be attracting some atention. Rodney described the other 35 as the best he'd ever sailed on - is this one better/faster?

Is this boat better or faster than her sister? The crew are better.

The General is oriented more towards offshore sailing and has more equipment so is a little heavier than Al Fresco. The end result should be a little more speed upwind and power reaching whilst she will be a little slower downwind, but we are only talking a couple of seconds per mile. Al Fresco has clocked in excess of 28 knots so we can afford to give up a little.

Crap, my keel envy issue has arisen again and now along with cockpit envy. I do very much like that cockpit.

Interesting the way it drops off aft of the wheels. What's that about, something specific, sexy or just the way it worked out?

Man that thing is sexy, not sure about the paint job but apart from that

I think i'm in love.

The drop away at the stern pehaps helps shed water quicker but just guessing.

Archived