Chains Ropes and Anchors Oh @#$% ! Award B&G Simrad Series

Cameron

I kept an eye out but it wasn't really that sort of a day. Was quite pleasant very un-SSANZ like. I did spot a J boat - "Finale"?? Doing some serious trawling off rangi light - for quite some time and submit this poor photo as evidence.

j_boat_trawl.jpg

Marshy2.jpg

Marshy.jpg

As you know Josh... I got the winning photo last year of your trawl. Wonder if I can back it up this year having snapped another winner with Marshy on the bricks ???

I pretty worried now about the consequences when it's my turn to have a mare !

As you know Josh... I got the winning photo last year of your trawl. Wonder if I can back it up this year having snapped another winner with Marshy on the bricks ???

I pretty worried now about the consequences when it's my turn to have a mare !

Yeah that's the view we had too Cameron, left the camera in the cabin when I saw you taking the photos.

To be fair to Marshy, he must let us know how he got off that spot - we thought he'd be there for a while, but he came back well!

Well done Cam. We heard on the Comm boat Marshy had a cuddle with the bottom but the boat that informed us, with much glee I may add, didn't get a photo. Apparently trying to take one with your iphone jambed onto the end of a set of Binos doesn't work :lol:

Love your work by the way Team Mercenary ;)

Ah alrighty its monday and im back at work so can see i've been sprung!

We sailed in there as the GPS had it clear the whole way in And Tom was to leeward blowing the sheet into a tack and we were turning as it hit.

Depth sounder went from 5 metres to 4 metres (Under the keel so actually 2metres more than that!) so we decided to roll out without pushing our luck. then wammo into it we went. The rock is about 20cm under the surface so cant beleive its not charted. When we hit we leaned over to try get off and were going to scratch the topsides on it so we backed the main and reversed out and tacked over and carried on.

Tommy took over driving while i ran downstairs pulling the boat to bits to find out how much damage was done.

Boat will get hauled out this week and we will be able to see how bad it actually is. So far it looks all cosmetic and just some cracking around the glue joints of the interior. Fingers crossed...

To be fair to Marshy, he must let us know how he got off that spot - we thought he'd be there for a while, but he came back well!

Yeah was a speedy recovery. We had to make a pretty quick call to get the outboard out or not. Then we tried backing sails to leeward and leaning over but that made it worse. So we backed the main right up to the windward side and the boat skewed around and tacked out of there! Was actually impressed myself and both Tommy and i reckoned that what we "Lost" in time stopping for lunch we actually gained by being inshore as we tacked out and still crossed cool change who we had tussled with!

Pity ive now got a weekend of grinding ahead of me!

I spoke to the sponsors about your incident Marshy... They reckon you need to buy a nice new Simrad chartplotter for your cockpit !

(BTW Marshy showed me the track on his iPhone Navionics App... and he is quite correct in that the rock isn't charted... I'll get ATL to check if it shows on their gear)

We almost hit it too, I looked at the chart and there was nothing on it but we saw it under the water and tacked just before it. if you look on google earth you can see it in there.

Scary that there are unmarked rocks like that around.

Around 18months back Advantage hit a rock over by the barge anchorage off Rangi requiring assistance with pumps. That rock did not appear on a chart either & they considered they were far enough out not to have any issues.

Not there in Navioniocs...

The Approaches to Auckland Chart doesnt show it not any other LINZ charts.

Google earth does nicely though.

I have spent some time yesterday trying to find it and figure out if it was our mistake or an unmarked rock...

IMG_0542 (Medium).PNG

Google Earth.png

NZ5321.png

Nope... GPS Was on but we weren't relying on it and never said we were...

I chose to sail in there, and chose what i thought was a good stand off distance having known the area for sometime, And having viewed the charts the night before (Its not marked on paper charts - you find it on them and ive got a rum for ya...) So a bit hardy calling that one a GPS assisted grounding.

Another GPS assisted grounding...

BTW that bottom picture is the Actual chart... not a GPS screen. so if its not there on paper its probably un charted?

Fair enough. And thanks for the warning.

If you sailed in there with your eyes on the water, then it was bad luck and you were misled by the charts.

Archived