Square Top Mains on Ross 930's

RedLine

Noticed quite a few of the Akld based fleet are carrying these now:

Some Q's

1/ Who made the sails for drop dead fred (Evolution?)

2/ Are these fitted to std 930 rigs (with m/h jumpers)

2/ Guess you'd lose use of main masthead backstay, so you'd be using the normal 3/4 mast height runners . But running down wind with a square top and mast head Genny would put a lot of strain on the top section of the std mast. Think pepe has new carbon cathedral rig so not relevant to them.

4/ What are the rough dims of these sails Sq m wise relative to a class 930 main. By looks of pics id say top of mast sq top section looks to be around 1000mm?

5/ If youve done this to your boat, was it worth the effort & would you do it again?

Cheers

Stu

You'd want to make sure that the top section of the rig was stiff enough to achieve the required leech tension with a square sail. If the rig is too soft up there you'll suffer on the wind I'd imagine. In this situation you could look at poking the jumpers forward to 'stiffen' the top mast. Regardless, you'd need to change from a single top mast backstay to twin topmast running backstays as doing away with aft topmast support is very risky if you intend to fly MH chutes.

Best idea I feel is to go for topmast running backstays and remove the fractional runners. Then ad deflectors near the hounds to achieve headstay tensioning upwind. This is the system i'm running on Wild Thing now. It's proving to be super effective, so we're pretty happy with the setup. All the flash boats are using deflectore these days ;-)

1 - Wave sails in Opua, Bay of islands I believe.

2 - Yes but knot all have jumpers and some that have fitted them don't like them now as the rig doesn't fall off like it did. I'm told 2 boats that had jumpers took them off. Seems to be 2 schools of thought on those, one lot saying 'Yes' and one saying 'don't bother'.

3 - Some have some haven't. There is a mix of who has what in the way of backstays. Some have none, some only runners, some only masthead backstay, some have the lot and use them all and some have the lot and use only some, if any, of them.

4 - No idea but 'a good' to 'a lot' more than a std sized main. One or 2 are bloody huge.

5 - They must be as everyone's fitting them ;)

Redline, are you getting the emails re the proposed changes. You would have got something today if you are. If knot pm me your email, which I probably have anyway but do it just in case, and I'll make sure you get on the list.

And I've replied via email. A bit of reading there for you.

I think you'll like the proposed tweaks, most seem to be in favour of them all, bar a bit of fine tuning here and there.

Archived