Coastal Classic

Hi Tiller - the NOR is very clear

3.3 To be eligible all boats must supply details of the YNZ Cat 3 safety certificate at the time of entering on line. The certificate must remain current for the duration of the race.

Not sure how easy it would be for some sports boats to make cat3 and it's stability requirements, then there's a loa limit of (I think) 6.5m but plenty of trailer or trailer-like boats have done it in the past.

Two or 3 E780s, a few Ross 780s, Lightning 7.5, Elliott 6.5, Noelex 25 and of course the Dibley 8s, Carbon and Aces High.

Been looking at this for HnF.

The word is that Yachting NZ isn’t very keen on this type of boat getting Cat 3. I've been told that if I were apply, the inspector would bring along another inspector to cover their ass!

Currently in the "too hard basket" for me - so they have accomplished their aim! A shame as you can see it is exactly what High'n'Fibre was built to do!

Supergroove did it the windy Easterly in 1996.

In reality provide you meet the new stabilty rule a TY can do it easy - if the crew are up to it. A little light displacement boat is hard work, and you need at least 3 people who can helm at night or send it downwind in gusts of 30kn. Otherwise don't bother.

If you make it the delivery home is a piece of cake at 90km upwind :D

Guest Saturday Night Special

It appears the more research we do YNZ catergory certs dont mean sh*t there is no consistancy with inspectors and the head inspector does not have A farking clue .Stated rules are not adheared too some boats will be failed while others pased for the same thing So Give it a go case precedent says you should get a pass if not state case precedent just make sure you have your ducks all rowed up

It appears the more research we do YNZ catergory certs dont mean sh*t there is no consistancy with inspectors and the head inspector does not have A farking clue .Stated rules are not adheared too some boats will be failed while others pased for the same thing So Give it a go case precedent says you should get a pass if not state case precedent just make sure you have your ducks all rowed up

HNF, I think nzrat might have a good point, give it a go. And if you can;t get certification then sail the course anyway (I'm sure I'll get bagged for that comment but what the hell, a couple of windsurfers have done it so why not you?)!

seems to me ynz is over the top with rules and regs. Soon we will have to build boats that can carry all the safety gear so no more light displacement boats.

I allways thought it was the skippers responsibility to decide to sail or not to sail, and if the crew think the boat is unsafe or the skippers an idiot they have the choice , to sail or not.

Use to be a time when you could race to Fiji with a dinghy tied on deck ,that the crew could not fit , and dsb radio

Archived