Coastal Classic

I remember getting my boat ready for the one Coastal we did - it cost a fortune and I couldn't even finish the race because it was a drifter and I had to be in Russell on Saturday morning for my work duties! The next year it was too windy and we hitched a ride on Zana - which was pretty awesome I have to say but not the same as finishing the race in my own boat.

It isn't necessarily right, but it's the world we live in these days. Everyone is so safety conscious and we have less and less freedom to figure it out for ourselves. Even my kindergartener was given a bright yellow safety vest to get to the car in the kindy carpark. I am not exactly happy about it either, but the way I see it is that you can bag YNZ for it all that you want, but they are actually the good guys and working for our interests as best they can. The way it works is that the government basically charters YNZ to look after safety in yachting. If YNZ didn't do it, you might find a government department looking after it, and that it would be much, much worse. I was on the KORC committee for a few years and I can tell you that the guys there are did as much as possible to slow the pace of change, whilst honouring their responsibilities. I remember some discussions about gas fitting regulations, and they have it a lot tougher in Australia.

I am out of date with what has happened in the last couple of years with specific aspects of safety, but if you have genuine concerns about aspects of the regs, they are very approachable and will talk things through with you.

As a matter of interest which pieces of cat 3 safety gear are deamed to be unnecessary? The thing about safety gear is that most of us willl be the better for it if we just have to throw it away. Flares are one area where I would likely cut back. Just given the advances in elctronic technology.

It appears the more research we do YNZ catergory certs dont mean sh*t there is no consistancy with inspectors and the head inspector does not have A farking clue .Stated rules are not adheared too some boats will be failed while others pased for the same thing So Give it a go case precedent says you should get a pass if not state case precedent just make sure you have your ducks all rowed up

HNF, I think nzrat might have a good point, give it a go. And if you can;t get certification then sail the course anyway (I'm sure I'll get bagged for that comment but what the hell, a couple of windsurfers have done it so why not you?)!

Too right. I got the big 'No way' back with a 24ft sporty I built..... so I loaded it with beers and went anyway. Had a frecking great ride up and back, even lived to talk about it ;)

In my opinion, If everyones carrying all the same safety gear, Your not really having a handicap being put on you, because every other boat has the same disadvantage..

If it does come to abandoning your yacht, I bet you'll be bloody great full you have a life raft and hand-held VHF

Guest Saturday Night Special

Well Mr 203 if you have to even think of abandoning your yacht there is a major problem first up .I think the emphasis has been to much (By Head w^&#$@r of safty at ynz) on safety gear not on the safety of the boat some of the boats that have category certs do not Measure under the current rules for the boat but have all the safety gear so got a cert seems a bit wrong to me .

. . . some of the boats that have category certs do not Measure under the current rules for the boat but have all the safety gear so got a cert . . .

You're gonna need to explain this a little more clearly if you want to verbally abuse someone mate!

I approched Ynz with several boats 18 months ago that fail under these clauses The answer From Mr Churchouse was well you need to protest them My question was and still is how did they get category certs when they fail these and are brand new boats ? I told him having been a measurert in several classes that they should not have been given certs He rang A relative to explain it to me .I have explained this to both beforeIf they do not pass under the rules as they are written they do not pass .No cert but seems i do not understand or is he an emu burrying his head in the sand These are requirements of Cat 1,2,3 and are taken directly from YNZ safety rules

13.07 All deck openings must be able to be blocked off in an emergency.

16.05 (M) Permanently installed bunks shall be

provided for a minimum of the nearest

whole number greater than 2/3 of the crew.

Each bunk shall be a minimum of 45cm

(18in) x 1.8m (6ft) and shall have a resilient

mattress that dries easily. In every case

there shall be a minimum of two bunks

16.08 Cooking stove, securely installed against

capsize with safe and accessible fuel shut

off control, capable of being safely operated

in a seaway. Any liquid or inflammable fuels

must be carried in approved

5.07 Keel yachts shall be self righting, properly rigged, strongly

built, water-tight particularly with regard to hulls, decks and

cabin.

Not required for cat 3

. . . some of the boats that have category certs do not Measure under the current rules for the boat but have all the safety gear so got a cert . . .

You're gonna need to explain this a little more clearly if you want to verbally abuse someone mate!

That's the pot calling the kettle black! :crazy:

Not required for cat 3

Check on YNZ safety Regs is required for cat 16.08 rule number

Not required for cat 3

Check on YNZ safety Regs is required for cat 16.08 rule number

It was amended a year or 2 ago. Along with bolt cutter requirement and something else I think.

Is anyone else confused by today's email ?

"You'll notice a few changes to last year: one is that Category 3 Safety Certs are now self-declared. We've gone this way to be more efficient, to keep admin costs down, and to drive back towards personal responsibility. At the same time, race rules have been modified to provide for instant disqualification from the race in the event that a spot check finds a certificate invalid or not present. Certificates must be onboard for the duration of the race and viewable by an inspector at any time during the race event"

Do you think this is cat 3 certs are self declared as in cat 4 & 5 ?

Or that you still have to get one but only show it if asked ?

Hi Danaide,

You are required to have a Cat 3 certificate that is current for the race. On your entry form you have to

a) declare that you have a current Cat 3 cert and that it is valid for the race,

B) provide your certificate number,

c) provide the certificate expiry date.

You will not be a formal entrant until you complete this part of your entry form.

As is always the case your certificate is required to be onboard during the race and this will be one of the random safety inspection cards that you may be presented with prior to the start or when you finish. In addition we will be doing a random audit of the Cat 3 certificates with YNZ on the morning of the race. Any yachts with discrepancies (expired cert, cert not lodged) will be asked to produce them to the race HQ in Russell. Failure to produce a valid certificate will have to result in DSQ.

Hope that clears it up!

That's what I was thinking but the above statement could actually be read either way depending on your point of view.

Nice to have it cleared up so fast.

Archived