Simrad 100 photos

Yup, i've got about 4hrs of footage on my GoPro - accidentally left it recording at some point... I'm gonna have a long day wading through it to create a 3min highlights reel. ...and somebody said it somewhere else - that thing really does big seas look small! So if it looks big...

edit: PS: I was thinking about anonymously delivering all my raw footage up the road to video extraordinaire StephenC :)

Yup, i've got about 4hrs of footage on my GoPro - accidentally left it recording at some point... I'm gonna have a long day wading through it to create a 3min highlights reel. ...and somebody said it somewhere else - that thing really does big seas look small! So if it looks big...

edit: PS: I was thinking about anonymously delivering all my raw footage up the road to video extraordinaire StephenC :)

With a bottle of rum and some nice editing software where I can speed footage up to take 5 minutes down to three and your on :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great photos and movie clips guys, fun to be able to re-live those conditions from the comfort and warmth of home! Col j your clip seems to match our run down to Shag pretty closely (we were a bit behind you on Norseman), we got laid broadside by a wave at one stage a bit like you. But some amazing drops down some very steep waves, occasional high 13s and even a 14 on the gps (new boat record), the old girl was vibrating like crazy! Didn't like the look of the trip across to Pakatoa so we got the #3 on in preparation (memories of being on the bow to change sails in that stuff will keep me awake at night for a while yet!). We also elected to go for the granny tack as the gybe looked more trouble than it was worth (seems hard to believe now), and unlike Quarter Pint's effort it took us three goes to pull it off. We managed to throw in a reef while in the (very) brief lee of Shag and then got across to Pakatoa in better shape than I thought we would, though I really need to get a better understanding of that reef that sticks out from there, we were flying a bit blind so just stayed as high as we could.

The beat from the start to Navy was quite good and interesting, we seemed to do ok working the right hand side up Rangi (Revolution Blues did some interesting manouevres up there and what looked like a penalty turn?), even found a tidal back eddy behind the lighthouse. Threw in a reef and wondered if the breeze would continue to build, and then made our way hard right up by Torbay which gave us a nice lift out on port for a while. The breeze actually backed off and the reef came out, which we wanted to do anyway before Navy.

Our initial disappointment at the wind angle to Gannet (i.e. too tight for even the gennaker) soon disappeared as the breeze really started to kick in, and we began to realise we wouldn't even get a chute on for the run down to Shag. Started to see some of the big boats coming back so as we thought Channel Island was probably pretty ugly. After the Shag to Pakatoa leg it quietened down considerably for the sail down Waiheke Channel but kept waiting for the next 'bullet' so kept the reef in but changed to a #2. It was then a big disappointment to have the breeze go to the west for a very long slog home.

It was hard to tell how we were going on corrected time in Smallboat PHRF, but were happy enough with 4th after a couple of 3rds, and congratulations to Revolution Blues who I think will be overall winners. Well done too to the other finishers in the Tracker/Reactor division – Wishbone was probably at home in that stuff perhaps having seen it all before in her Tasman crossing!

Good race too Col j, not in the same division but it was good to trade a few tacks up to Navy and to try and hang on to you on the beat home. Got a snap of you crossing us on the way up to Navy. Some other pics attached, nothing too exciting and taken before it got really busy/wet/too-white-knuckle-to-hold-a-camera, and a couple of Andar coming home just to add to the overall picture of a pretty full on day.

Thanks SSANZ and Simrad, another great series. This race really stretched us!

Quarter Pint to Navy.jpg

Andar 1.jpg

Navy to Gannet.jpg

Andar 2.jpg

Sponsors plug.jpg

you guys were sailing the norseman quite well we thought. like you, we were expecting it to be snotty on the way up to browns but didnt happen, the bullets coming through were spinning us out so we held off the change up untill down by passage. turns out it was the easiest trip we have had up that bit of water. nathan slept for about an hour.

the rat catcher must have sailed bloody fast because we passed a white hulled piedy (we thought) on the way to gannet. we knew where fine entry, begorrah, big bickies, and short circuit were. could not see a piedy. maybe it was down the bottom of the waves? doesnt matter. bring on the overall results :thumbup: could only see the norseman behind us.

Did Revolution Blues complete the course correctly? I thought it was Crocodile that didnt round Pakatoa to starboard, but apparently not them, FX should know as they were directly behind which ever boat it was then they changed from the red headsail to a green gennaker type thing. Not that it really changes our handicap position :thumbdown:

the rat catcher must have sailed bloody fast because we passed a white hulled piedy (we thought) on the way to gannet. we knew where fine entry, begorrah, big bickies, and short circuit were. could not see a piedy. maybe it was down the bottom of the waves? doesnt matter. bring on the overall results could only see the norseman behind us.

Rat Catcher went really well, impressive finishing time and she was trucking on the beat to Navy. And yeah, you guys will be well ahead on overall elapsed time for sure. BTW, watching your vid, you must be glad to still have a mast!

Did Revolution Blues complete the course correctly? I thought it was Crocodile that didnt round Pakatoa to starboard, but apparently not them, FX should know as they were directly behind which ever boat it was then they changed from the red headsail to a green gennaker type thing.

All too far ahead for us to tell! But do you mean round Pakatoa to port? Wondering what happened to Crocodile though as they zipped past us after Navy but are DNF in the results.

Did Revolution Blues complete the course correctly? I thought it was Crocodile that didnt round Pakatoa to starboard, but apparently not them, FX should know as they were directly behind which ever boat it was then they changed from the red headsail to a green gennaker type thing. Not that it really changes our handicap position :thumbdown:

It seems more than one boat went through the Ruth Passage, a larger red-headsailed one and Crocodile after a gybe gone wrong near Shag Rk, perhaps more?

We managed to lay the leg from Shag Rk to Pakatoa with a #3 and full main though it was full on wind at that point, big but non-breaking seas, and disconcerting to look at the mast. It moderated as the channel neared and the bear away was pure bliss, surfing in the 1m rollers, feeling good to have survived the holy sh*t-storm.

Feels good to have done it though.

I reckon thats pretty much the universal lasting sentiment.

In that same patch of water, I asked my Skipper "Are we having fun?" (I wasn't quite sure)

His answer was probably another universal sentiment at the time... "It will be fun once its over... right now its just a bit hairy" :lol:

I know this is really just another 'start', but its my first ever video with my shiny new GoPro... here's a quick uncut clip of the Smallboat / Hanse cruisers start...

(i'll stitch together a highlights reel when I have the time / capacity / know-how / etc...)

the rat catcher must have sailed bloody fast because we passed a white hulled piedy (we thought) on the way to gannet. we knew where fine entry, begorrah, big bickies, and short circuit were. could not see a piedy. maybe it was down the bottom of the waves? doesnt matter. bring on the overall results :thumbup: could only see the norseman behind us.

I can verify that Rat Catcher was sailing ridiculously fast for a 22ft boat. Could not shake them upwind. We rounded Tiri Navy just after them, which was surprising enough, but then they proceeded to put time on us on the reach past Tiri. The ~40ft cruiser that also rounded with us was being left behind!

We only got by them when the seas started to get so big that they were disappearing completely into the troughs, with the low freeboard on the PP looking "insufficient". They backed off and dropped the headsail. We went by quite close and got a thumbs up returned. They obviously handled it, just look at their result, excellent considering the conditions. Respect!

Archived