Grant Dalton is the Man!

here it is...

The ISAF RACING RULES of SAILING AMERICA’S CUP EDITION

47.3 Preventing windward daggerboard increasing righting moment After starting, an AC72 yacht shall have the windward board draft stripe(s) visible so to confirm that the board is no more than 0.500 m below MWP, unless one of the following applies:

(a) the windward board does not penetrate the surface of the water for more than 15 continuous seconds; (B) the yacht is within 300m of a mark; © the yacht is within 30 seconds prior to and after tacking or gybing; (d) the yacht is sailing less than 15 knots; (e) the yacht is sailing at less than 90% of its performance relative to the other yacht(s); (f) the yacht is taking a penalty.

So the prohibition about using the foil to increase righting moment is mainly in effect when sailing in a straight line, and is relaxed when doing major maneuvers. Basically, it's enforced by ensuring that the windward board is out of the water. I believe there is a protocol amendment in work that will further clarify the application of this rule. __________________

I don't know much about foils, I just know that without guys like GD coming to the party we'd be in for a repeat of 2003, if we made it to the start at all. It's really important to have a guy like that on board. He deserves the praise.

The next development of foils currently under consideration.

hinged foils...

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Ame ... tee/101999

Now approved by the AC measurement committee.

The goal posts are moving already.

Will they have time to test and change if necessary before the cup? If they have such a good design team then why arn't they out there sailing? Not much time left to test and correct.

I dont think its a matter of money it's a case of who wants it more. I think GD wants this more than the other teams and I admire him for that.

Go ETNZ. I am going to book my ticket for the final race soon. Should be epic!

JP your just being g a dick now, give credit where it's due GD does a great job of bringing good people together and for the moment there is only one ac72 sailing so take a breath from bagging everyone and just enjoy what these guys are doing. We all know they haven't won the AC yet but they are certainly going to Have one hell of a crack at it.

JP your just being g a dick now

No - he's just being a tedious troll

A troll baits people with smart remarks that offer nothing to the thread.

Guess what Scottie.... that is you :lol: :thumbup:

JP your just being g a dick now, give credit where it's due GD does a great job of bringing good people together and for the moment there is only one ac72 sailing so take a breath from bagging everyone and just enjoy what these guys are doing. We all know they haven't won the AC yet but they are certainly going to Have one hell of a crack at it.

Sorry willow, compared to Blake, Coutts,... Dalton has achieved nothing at AC level.

I'lll give him Kudos for the team he has and for pulling that together and for bringing in the coin, but even then I firmly believe that if Blake was still around and wanted to be involved, or if coutts and Co had stayed with team NZ Grant Dalton would not be involved and would be doing something else.

Sure he has filled in for these guys and sure his influence has brought in the coin to get the team but until the cup is in the cabinet he has only done half the job.

At the moment you guys are backing him on a good vibe surrounding a 72 with foils. The yanks are ahead of him with the first Foiling 45 and on to other foil options.

Going to be awesome for sure and this AC will make The previous ones look like snails racing in Lada's.

The next development of foils currently under consideration.

hinged foils...

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Ame ... tee/101999

Now approved by the AC measurement committee.

The goal posts are moving already.

Will they have time to test and change if necessary before the cup? If they have such a good design team then why arn't they out there sailing? Not much time left to test and correct.

I dont think its a matter of money it's a case of who wants it more. I think GD wants this more than the other teams and I admire him for that.

Go ETNZ. I am going to book my ticket for the final race soon. Should be epic!

I will be there too.

They will have time and if you see the link above you will see that they have approved the hinge design and this is proven " fast technology" as used on the fasted boat on the planet.

dalts will have to be sure of his teams hardware or move very fast to catch up...

Or is he foxing with this current design and has something even better?... I doubt it as he will have to get it approved.

At the moment you guys are backing him on a good vibe surrounding a 72 with foils.

So I take you only back people after they win?

I back people with a excellent and proven record.

Guys like Courts, Blake, Jones, ...

Would you back same one into a top job with million of dollars of funding based on a vibe, or a whatever?

Sure GD has put together a good Program, but he has not put together a winning program in the AC. And has failed at previous attempts

but agree that due to circumstances he is probably the best man. I just don,t rate him as highly as you guys.

If it was your team rigger would you back Dalton over Coutts?

Also who says his team and this design in a winning one?

If they get pasted then how will we feel? Likewise if he wins he will be a legend and I will rate him as the best without question as he will have beaten the best... Coutts!

Umm...the fact that RC is otherwise occupied and PB is dead kind of makes the argument about who's better than who a little redundant.

I generally can't be arsed with sport in this country. TNZ is my only exception - the Camper campaign, the AC45, this tilt at the AC with the 72.

And about the budget? Huh? Does anybody worry about the AB budget? And if the NZ govt is tipping in some coin? Good. Some of it's my money, and I'd rather it went to sailing than some super-southern-tri-3/14/andabit bollocks.

IMO ETNZ under GD represents true leadership and a determination to achieve the goal. Through the long haul.

Let's take a look at the OP?

Win or loose this cup. Grant Dalton is the man.

His dedication to NZ yachting and his efforts to ETNZ are absolutely amazing.

Just look at what he has created on such a tight budget compared to the rest of the world. I am blown away with this beast of a 72

If he brings home the bacon he will be known as Sir Grant Dalton

Who agrees?

That'd be a yep. Including for the vibe of the thing.

GD is doing the best job of securing funding/sponsorship of any sport in NZ at a time when funding is hard, really hard. He has put together an awesome team and an awesome programme.

So that's funding, people and programme that get the tick.

Arguing about whether they will win is a bit futile just now so lets stick to acknowledging the success in getting this far, and the fact that its the only 72 out there foiling with seemingly no problems.

That in itself makes GD the man.

You have to wonder. ETNZ will be the only team to be able to put refinements into boat 2. Other teams need to start building their second boats without even sailing their first ones.

Oracle is not sailing yet? Both are in the water and testing at the moment. Oracle has hydro foils on the rudders ETNZ does not.

Both are going to build 2nd boats. Oracle Testing with curved dagger boards - differrent curved dagger boards each side so as they turn to make a run in opposite direction they can compare data as oposed to two boat testing as far as dagger boards are concerned. Oracle seems to have an advanced design rear cross beam.

I note Oracle's number on the Cat is 17 which was the same number that was on the Tri. Any body know why the same number is used apart from it being a winner previously. ETNZ number was not.

Oracle has Coutts. Coutts seems to win every thing he touches. Beat Spithill in the Final match race AC 45s the have more points than Spithill on match racing races. ETNZ way down the points ladder - Luna Rossa has more points than ETNZ.

Interesting.

It appears to me Dalton needs some help ???

Does the marine industry realing want the cup to return to N.Z. Last time we held the cup the marine industry lost so many key

staff it compromised their workmanship and their ability to meet contracts on time and some took years to recover and retrain staff. Some openly expressed that they hoped the cup would never return to N.Z.

I don't know much about foils, I just know that without guys like GD coming to the party we'd be in for a repeat of 2003, if we made it to the start at all. It's really important to have a guy like that on board. He deserves the praise.

$200 Mil $300 Mil / plus the other syndicates is a lot on sponsorship money when Commercial and Military shipping are polutting the Oceans by dumping their garbage directly into the worlds oceans - seas and untreated sewage. Could be spent pushing this more pressing and urgent issue - four is on the opinion NOW !

And / Or

It,s about time sponsorship was directed at the cruising yachts developement that ordinary jo blogs can purchase / sail and provide in doing so a much needed boost to cruising production and cruising boat building. The cruising yachtie keeps the marine industry in productivity more so than the racing yachts one would think - yes.

I think it's excellent if ETNZ are foiling level without rudder foils. Means the boat is balanced and controllable without the extra drag from an aft foil. Although ETNZ have been foiling for a long time on the SL33's and you'd expect them to have the concept pretty well nailed by now.

Geez lads this is a good debate and i can honestly say i apreciate all view points.

Yes i am a Coutts supporter because he has turned everything he touches into gold...Olympics, AC (three countries 3 wins).... everything except a Volvo and i am sure he will do that when he wants to if he wants to.

I also appreciate What Dalt's has done too.

i just think Dalton is a bit brash, arogant, lacks a great mind and the subtle touchs that coutts offers, and treats people that may oppose or challenge him very harshly (PJM).

Hey but this is the spice of this great event... the proven coutts money machine with American resources and technology versus the Kiwi skill, ability to evolve and develop fast boats, and great sailors on a smaller budget?...

and in the fastest fleet of boats the world has ever seen...

:thumbup: :D

Archived