Kite Socks - Are they worth the hassle?

Fish

"What does concern me though is you just don't see them out there so either I'm smarter than the rest {have fun with that } or there is a good reason I can't see as yet. I do have to admit I'm knot leaning towards the 'smarter' option so ................... "

Yep, im with you on this one. Its either a blatantly obvious slice of unadulterated brilliance, or the stupidest idea that everyone knows of, except me (and you).

Now, if your system fails miserably, im going to laugh at you and your stupid idea, and if it works, im of to the patent office with MY brilliant idea.

Keep us posted on the trials, and we want pics, pics, and more pics

If you go with a permanently-run retrieval cord (dinghy style) that might turn out to be the stumbling block if there are, for example, a couple of gybes involved on the downwind leg.

Which would then lead you in the direction of the coiled-up cord stashed in the velcro pocket in the foot of the sail - but that would necessitate another trip to the foredeck and a system for getting it run through the chute/sock. A separate line that stays in the sock and that you clip on at the last minute a la the death cord would resolve that.

How were you fullas thinking of handling it?

My cunning plan :? has the shutes throat in between the forestay and pull pit. So gybeing shouldn't (famous last words maybe) be an issue but I do like that pocket idea.

Bit tricky working it around the headsail and the windage aspect doesn't excite me but it's a prototype for 'proof of concept' so we'll see and modify if required I suppose.

Hard shell throat with soft tail. Have to have the hard entry/exit or it'll be a right prick especially if wet. That's the tricky part with the headsail.

The original concept had it further forward but that could have played with my official length according to conflicting advice when I tried to suss that aspect so I've kept it inside the current length.

Tuffyluffy - what boat and A sails with prod or old school like me unfondled 930?

At this stage I am looking forward to basking in my, sorry your ;) brilliance but are well aware Mr Cock-up is carbo loading and getting ready to come out and play.

If it works I'll do video, if it doesn't I never tried and it was only a nasty rumour started by the worried 88 fleet :lol: :lol:

Knotme how about adding a bucket to the end of the retrieval cord with a trip line to the bottom of the said bucket set at a length that when the kite is in the bag the bucket then inverts and is easy to retrieve

Procedure for dropping kite

1; simply kick bucket over stern

2; blow brace and halyard

3; pull bucket aboard

simple as was our idea. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hmm.... I do like that concept but the end bit concerns me, why is that?

Kite coming down on auto while I stash the pole. That would be good if you could get it to work. I could just move a few fitting to get workable geometry for the pole though. But then that doesn't sound as much fun as bucket chucking.

Again Danaides last line looks a worry so again, spill as to why.

Now this has the potential to be really...no, I'll say no more. But I think it's gonna be worth having a camera on a helicopter as well.

Is "How I Shredded My Kite at the Bottom Mark and Began the Beat Towing a Bucket" too long for a title?

What KM said works for me. Hey fish, I do have the odd wipeout, but to date I don't think I've embedded a gennaker into the strands of my forestay! :wink:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Don't know what you mean John, that was my "special" roller furler, like a poor man's Code X...

Knot Me, I've been considering a slightly similar system. Was going to use a retrieval line from the middle of the kite, down the forehatch, through the saloon and back to the cockpit.

Now, our halyards are at the mast. So the guy in teh pit does stuff all accept drive during a drop, and the guy on the bow (me) has to try and blow the halyard, and control it, with one hand, while gettign the kite in and down the hatch with the other. The muster plan with the retrival line was to get teh guy in the pit to assist with the drop fram back there.

Tried it on the mooring one calm evening and ripped my old (handi-towel like) kite on the hatch. Advise I've had is that I'd probably just stuff my kites. For my scenario a letter box drop is probably better. Arse to tidy up after a letter box drop though.

Still keen to find out if a sock is worth the hassle. That should help with gybing as well. Better gybing should mean I can chase down that pesky red boat with a circus marjue hanging off the stick out the front, the one squid has been seen loitering on :P :P

1st off Fish you have to pass me before you get a crack at that red boat sorry, mind you I have upped my pace a little I hope so hopefully you'll have to take that red boat before you come after me :lol: :lol:

Oh it all clicks together. Fish, forestay impressions in the kite, spinnaker, Weiti short-handed Race 1. I do believe I've picked up who, what and why. If correct it sure didn't look good at the time.

Knot too sure about the hatch drop with a line as that retrieval line could be a bastard. Mine is in front of the forestay so short of turning the kite inside out I can't see why I should have issues.

Been pondering the chuck it bucket drop system. See a few issues but nothing massive or too tricky to get around I think. Getting the bucket back quickish is one but knot insurmountable I think. Will be pondering that further.

Interesting discussion indeed or for most of us. Murkys just running this thread for a personal giggle I think :)

Would a drogue be a better option than a rigid bucket - would take up less space in the cockpit and potentially easier to collapse? Using one bag to haul in a bigger bag - just think of yourself as a dragster deploying a parachute. Hey don't those guys run on alcohol too... :thumbup:

Well boys (specifically KM & Fish) plenty of theories, a bit of rhetoric, a bit of piss taking, but in a week & one day, it starts again. It's a his n hers round rangi/motutapu. You choose which way you go round. My other half is crewing for me. She doesn't sail and gets seasick. But I admire her as she wants to support me. And no a female pet doesn't count as crew - the sailing instructions are clear - people!

Anyway KM & Fish I think you both should have a go at any of these new untested (on your boat anyway) methods. Fish do the letter box drop - Pleeeeeeeeese!

I'm gonna polish my transom this weekend just for you two! 8)

Umm - what is a letter box drop?

You guys use lots of terminology I am not acquainted with, but often I can sus it out lol.

I don't know what you would call what we do - but it is always two of us - plus the young fella who is really handy at standing inside beneath the fore hatch and hauling in the genni or spinnaker as I haul it down. Never as easy when he is not with us. At least, that's what we tell him :) . The boss tells him that I won't use the spinnaker unless he is there - not quite true but . . .

Interesting this talk about a retrieval line. How do you attach it, and does it go in the deepest part of the sail?

Ms

Well well well, I think we have AA worried Fish, as well he should be :lol: :lol:

Ah.. his and hers, I was meaning to look up what variant it was this time. A do like the way it changes, just brings in another level in interesting. Nice thinking whoever it was that came up with that idea.

So no female pets, damn that's the goldfish and cat out. Better drag me up a she then. 20yo, hot as with an aversion to wearing clothes. Chuck her on the bow at the start and I'll get a great holeshot while the rest of the fleet untangle themselves :lol: :lol:

May have the shute done by then but unlikely I'll try it 1st time with a she aboard but that does depend on which she so well see.

Umm - what is a letter box drop?

Letterbox drop = bringing the kite down between the main boom and the sail itself to drop down the main hatch. The slot between the boom and the main is (to some people :wtf: ) like a letterbox slot - obviously this requires a loose-footed main, as well as double sheets/braces so you have a slack one to pull through the gap as you are getting set up. The advantage is that it gets the kite nice and tightly blanketed behind the main. Also gets your crew weight out of the forward part of the boat and on the centreline rather than to leeward.

Hey fish how long is the luff on the kite you want to dowse - i could prob organise to lend you one to try

Cheers Sharpie, but I actually have one, actually I have two put one has a broken fibrglass collar. The reason I ask the question weather they're worth the hassle is, it took me a very long time to work out how to pack the kite into it without twisting it, and making sure the lines run free etc. First time we used it, two up in a practice sail a squal came in (a good one, with hail) the thing wouldn't snuff and we ended up doing a garganutan trawl. I've used them in very calm cruising situations no problem, but I wouldn't have a problem with a kite then anyway. Almost used one in a race but got everything in such a mess plugging it in it was twisted in three different ways so I went for a conventional kite and hoist. Basically I've had a shite load of hassle with them and haven't actually used one in a race yet.

I am now set up for letter box drops so might try that tonight (doing the Balokovic). Have lazy braces now so that means I can do a letter box drop and should be able to gybe the kite easier in bigger wind (hopefully) :D

Yeah KM, sounds like AA is worried :clap: :clap:

My pre arrange crew has had a work roster incident so I better go find a sailing instruction complaint replacement. :think:

Wouldn't have thought gold fish and cats were a good mix onboard KM?

Question:

In a letter box drop, what do you do with the brace? ping it or blow it? I'm guessing if your running tight a ping would be handy, bit tricky two up though, or you could do the conventional ease the sheet, blow the halyard, get the foot in with the lazy brace then just blow the brace when all the power is out of it?

Archived