OK thats enough, I'm doin it

Was speaking with a mate last night he tells me that he is looking at getting a PT. I thought bugger it if you do then I will as well. We are looking at PTs just for fun, not interested at this stage in racing in the class, but who knows in the future, both have sailed cats, but would the Real PT guru step up and tell me what we should be wary of when getting a PT. I know we can get them reasonably cheap, but don't really feel like sailing a lemon.

we just want to have fun with 2 boats, we can sail on our own

PM Voom

He's reglassing and "carbonising" and doing up one at present ffeelin nauti.

I might add I've got first pickings on it!!

:wink:

Apart from general condition, weight is the biggy with PTs. Class minimum weight is 50kgs (hulls, beams, tramp, blocks etc - basically the bits left after you take the rig, rudders and centreboards away). Some of the cheap boats around are much heavier. Best to get the PT Assoc guy in your area to have a look with you if you can. They know many of the boats around their area and what to look out for. See www.papertiger.org.nz

for contact details and a few boats for sale. Worth joining the association if you're planning to race (or even if you aren't!).

No No not the that Voom guy. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I am still away from home so I was going to do something when I get back but when I see someone referring to a butcher of a class, (of course purely tongue in check Voom :crazy: ) I had to get on the computer.

Hello 3021 yes "if only" is correct the most important thing about completive PT's is the weight, anything under 55kg is good, most of the other stuff can be replaced.

Most of the PT's are constructed from ply, but there are some fibreglass ones built by Terry Valdor at Tiger Boats 15 20 years ago.

After the weight check the deck plywood between the beams, after a few years there is signs of cracking especially if the guy onboard is a tad heavy, yes my boat is getting new decks at the moment :oops:

Stiffness is also important, and this can be increased an deck rebuild.

Foils vary greatly but the latest thing are long centreboards about 150 160 mm wide and rudders now tucked forward to get the leading edge in line with the pintles.

Good boats are priced between 4K and 6k.

As a class boat there is not much variations between boats, the hulls masts and sails are controlled by measurements, but sail shape foils vary a lot.

I hope this helps.

PT2989

Ha ha ha, I was wondering how long that was going to take.

SJB will you will be happy to know that Turbo Tiger #2 now has its decks on and is nearing the paint stage.

Is 15kg for a bare hull ok?, including beam mounts and chainplates.

After that its finish off the carbon rig and sail #2 and we can play match racing.

Who wants a go :thumbup:

windupsjb.jpg

That looks great....

Hey who said that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can see what you are up to, light air sailing is a bit boring on a PT..... but you only need to look at the 8.5 discussion about air drafts so you will know how I feel about changing a rule.

But then again I will put my hand up for a match race. :wink:

love the name of the jpeg bill!

I hear rumours theres a PT being assembled in a secret location that has curved foils, and a mast from an 18' skiff

I hear rumours theres a PT being assembled in a secret location that has curved foils, and a mast from an 18' skiff

He hasnt done a very good job of keeping it secret, I have to move them every time I want to work on my boat!

And just to add to SJB's woes there are going to be three.

I think if we used standard rigs 2 of them will actually be class legal, although I can never see that happening.

And we had to kick Brucie's little 2.4m stressed ply cat outside so we could fit in two tigers. So much for my dry boat and windsurfer storage room.

boats4africa.jpg

2nd jpeg should be titled "Boat Fiddlers Garage" :lol: :lol:

We'll scare the c*ap outta sjb won't we voom if I find the ideal PT, 4 PT's on single hull charging! wahaha! :twisted:

Alan as Voom's model sailor, nice one aha!

When your ready to smash a mini bottle of lindeur off her bow, I'll tow her down :D :lol:

Thanks Guys, Ijust new SJB or Voom might just give up the goss. I will start my hunt with my buddy and see what we can come up with, I have seen the odd PT just lying around in need of some TLC, seems that also may be a good way to go, I note from the website that the riggs are quite well priced, so to start from almost scratch may not be a bad thing

Is there a word for moving from a F15 to a PT...

Treason...Sedition... :lol:

Diversification

Boredom

Stupidity

Poverty

just to name a few :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there a word for moving from a F15 to a PT...

Treason...Sedition... :lol:

Diversification

Boredom

Stupidity

Poverty

just to name a few :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the going rate of the avg PT of between $1500-$4000, you could have a fleet of them for the price of a race-prepped F15...

Buy 3 and hire 2 out...for a modest fee...with the liability waiver dotted and signed for "gravity defying moments" refer "o shite"

Yep that’s the ticket. I am still dead keen on the FF, for a fat bugger like me it is just the cat's whiskers. But if the crew comes down all howly bag I need to be able to go get a sailing fix. I looked at dingy’s and then slapped myself till the stupidity went away, and then my mate said “Hey PT”, and the only reply I had was “Hey why Knot”

I'm still in need for a set of PT foils if anyone runs into some somewhere.

Got the rest even if the rig is somewhat dodgy and the sail is one of them gawd awful technocolour hobie like shockers.

I am leaning towards replacing the rig (or getting a 2nd) with a turbo and coming to play with you dudes. We running trapezes??

Havent got far enough to think about trapezes yet, should be taking the first half of the rudder mold this weekend if the secret curved foil maker gets the sanding done.

Need to do six rudders and stocks at this stage, and also 2 straight centreboards so its going to be a bit of a production line.

STOP STOP you guys are getting me down with carbon spars, extra sailarea, curved centreboards, trapazes, next you talking about fitting motors. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm going to cause sailinganarchy!

SJB, come visit my post for further depression...

A Class vs Tornado... :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13966

Vooms an A class tinkerer with sail area and carbon "stuff"

Come see his "Torhobie" at Taka tomorrow :crazy: :o :)

Dear Absolute Marine,

As much as love these battery powered motor things, less the kayak, I'm sorry but I'll have to cancel my order for the 2 of them. Sorry about that but some dude down the East Coast way is getting very grumpy and is likely to be putting a contract out on anyone who fits one to their PT, just as I was planning to do.

Once again sorry to cancel but have a great day all the same,

Knot Me

:lol: :lol: :lol:

post-646-141887160088.jpg

Archived