Auckland to Bluff

chic014

Great work by everyone at RAYC who has made this happen. Hopefully it becomes a great Iconic kiwi race like the coastal. It was a shame that no one from crew could make the briefing as I would love to know a bit more about it. Any juicy news Aussie?

Thats alot of funding by the government for a race for 30 boats... Imagine if they put that much into the coastal? Or into actually teaching people how to sail and helping grass roots sailing... Interesting,

Great stuff by RAYC to see an opportunity and grab it, but im perplexed by the government backing...

A2B_LOGO-500.jpg

Well! The launch took place today at the club with about 50 people from all media outlets in attendance.

The race was launched and will start on Thursday 6th February 2014.

The prelim NOR will be out in the coming days.

It's pretty exciting to be a part of it!

The NZ Herald article pretty much sums it up:

A major new yacht race from Auckland to Bluff will start on Waitangi Day in 2014.

The race, known as the A2B, will be the longest ocean race to start and finish in New Zealand, taking place over an 1100 nautical mile course. The annual race will start in Auckland, head north to round Cape Reinga and travel south along the west coast of New Zealand.

It has received support from the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, an organisation which has been running the Sydney to Hobart race for 67 years.

It is hoped that competitors in the Sydney to Hobart race will also compete in the A2B.

The Government has backed the event, contributing $440,000. Economic Development minister Steven Joyce said it was an excellent opportunity to show why New Zealand's marine sector was among the best in the world.

"It will help foster business connections and provide extensive broadcast opportunities to promote New Zealand as a premier sailing destination across our key tourism and trade markets," he said.

"This Government investment will help this new concept become an iconic, home-grown sailing event."

The first race, held on February 6, 2014, will be capped to 30 boats, due to limited space at Bluff, but that number could be increased to 50 for following years.

It will be run by Auckland's Royal Akarana Yacht Club.

I guess there are questions about the packed calendar but on the other hand, if it provides enough inspiration to boat owners and crews to be Cat 2 / Cat 1 ready, it's not that much of a leap to participate in other long distance races, like the Fiji in 2013, and it may provide a good jump start for fleet growth.

very exiting development. Down the Westcoast though? Would have thought the East coast would offer the public better opportunity to follow it?

The East Coast will definitely be better - standby on that final decision though!

Thinnk i should of finsihed the house rebuilding by then.....am hankering for a good adventure. i am sure Oracle and bob are up for it, shouldnt be hard to find a few more crew..

What about a Hobart to Auckland race on the 5th Jan?

I think that if the CYCA won't let our Multis race in the S2H then we should tell their Mono fleet to go and play lawn bowls with Greg Chappell, and not let them enter.

But then that's just me

Not wanting to be too pessimistic but how does an event with no track record get so much government funding? Surely there are other already existing events that could be given a significant boost and have the same publicity for the NZ marine industry? e.g. bay week or such like.

Also where would you rather sail to? Bluff or Fiji?

Again not trying to be too pessimistic just curious as to the decision process.

What about a Hobart to Auckland race on the 5th Jan?

I think that if the CYCA won't let our Multis race in the S2H then we should tell their Mono fleet to go and play lawn bowls with Greg Chappell, and not let them enter.

But then that's just me

Love the idea of a Hobart to Auckland race. Need to look into that.

I reall ydo wish them well, but I worry that in NZ we have a tendency to do these things arse about face.

Why not run a race and see if people like the course and the timing and enter. And then try and attract more entries and maybe a little sponsorship?

It makes me nervous when they announce that it will be something wonderful, are they stting themselves up for more than a little embarrasment?

Archived