h 28 for cruising

cruising a "harry" you'l have the time of your lives, bit of effort and a whiz around the marble is quite within the capabilities of this design L Francis said it was a day sailor and occassional overnighter with a trusty cedar bucket, he also stated that altered in any way the balance will be thrown out and birds will no longer carol over her, nor will the odors arising from her bilges make poetry, nor will your soul be fortified against a world of warlords politicians and fakers...... Compass yachts and time has proven him wrong here,he also said something about not taking fast women to secluded bays and nooks......some of my best times.......

Couple of the smaller Townsons drifting round on Trademe that are also good value for the bucks (under 20k) and similar size boats.

L4, the original quote was pretty scathing about the heritage of the women you took to those bays. But maybe you knew that already...

Up there with the best burns I have seen anywhere:

“‘There is no doubt that some day large concerns will make motor boats by the ten thousand, all alike, of plastics. These will suit the swill man’s son, the ash man’s son, and the son of the local politician, for they will all be painted bright red and trimmed with nickel plating.

‘But why someone wants to put these chaps on the water, I don’t know for there is nothing on the water they want to see, hear or smell. Their only desire is to take some bad girls up around the bend of the river, and this they might just as well do overland in the swill wagon their father navigated before them.”

http://h28.org.nz/The_H28/SeaSpray.htm

Nothing wrong with red boats with nicklel (or chrome) plating, I can think of a couple fitting that description that I would be very happy to own.

I'd probably go for a Nova28 before an H28 if your after something for cruising, both will get you there in pretty much any weather but expect to do a lot of motoring, the Townsend mentioned is a much better sailing boat but you have to deal with maintaining a timber boat. They are all a compromise one way or another.

I just think the nova is a better looking boat and would be a bit better sailing boat all round than the H, but i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, the h's do have a lot of fans.

Hi Clint D

Firstly let me say that due to 'human nature' people will usually recomend that you should go for what they have (or had) Nova, Townson, H28 etc. This can take you down the confusing road to either hapiness or despair - but let me continue:-

OK my credentials are as an ex H28 owner of 8 happy years

Bought in 1994 and sold 2002

Paid top dollar and never regreted that, as observed others buying 'bargains' and then spending far more overall and still having a 'dog'

Often known as 'the Morris Oxford of the Gulf'

They sail surprisingly well but the best feature is the great sea kindly and safe motion that only a full keel yacht can provide, albeit they are a tad wet.

Several have circumnavigated!

We did many Barrier, Bay of Is, Whangaroa trips - only 2 of us so will shrink a bit with 4

Suggest you have a look at the H28 web site (Google it as can't remember) and see if they have any listed for sale. Have a chat with them for further advice.

The best ones have lead poured in the keel whilst most are steel punchings mixed with cement - It's not common but be carefull as if salt water gets into the keel area, punchings rust and then swell. End result is the hull below the water line slowly bursting !!

They were churned out in the hundreds and got a lot of families into a 'cruiser' at a cheap price.

They are not gods gift to yachties - that is still on the drawing board

Like most past H28ers we grew out of it and moved on to bigger and more expensive 'compromises'

So in summary it depends on your sailing experience/skills

If you want to ease the family into cruising in a safe, controlled manner you will not go wrong with a good H28

Want more speed, but happy to work harder for it (more tender) then yes consider Nova or Townson or several other options.

We have dealt with many H28 owners and most have had their boats for a long while and love them to bits. And I was a little surprised to see just how strong the Class is as a group. I think 18 or maybe 22 boats at some regatta / rally thingy last year. Knot many classes could boast that turnout.

About the only thing I would mention was that most of the owners tended to be older now kid free couples. But that may be an impression from only the section we seen rather than the whole fleet. I have seen kids on H28's while cruising over the last few years though.

And they do race them as a class now and again. Be a bit like Mullet boats where it all happens at lower speeds but they do take it seriously yet smile and laugh as they do. Can't argue with a style like that.

Yes, I agree with KM you quite often come across a large group of 10+ H28 anchored in a bay. And most of the kids on board are out for a sail with their Grandparents. Comfortable and easy to sail.

I agree with L'escale, however rather than getting too bogged down on whether to go for a H28 / Nova/ Townsend / Cav etc I would personally go for the boat in the best conditon your money can buy providing it is a good design. While it may feel more painful, spending another $10k or so up front to get a better boat will pay dividends over the time you own it. Buying a cheap boat is a false ecomomy.

If you have $20k to spend, my money would be to go for something smaller in better nick than a larger one that needs work. Smaller boats are cheaper to maintain. Have you thought about a trailer boat you can keep out of the water reducing storage and maintenace costs - say a Nolex 25?

I purchased an Elliott 7.9 12 months ago and have done a complete (and I mean complete rebuild) so that it will be virtually new in the water. I thought I had a pretty good handle on what it was going to cost and how long it would take. I have almost doubled both (and I am not the first nor will I be the last). While I have a boat that is now to my taste and is very 'good value' for a new boat - if I listed it on trademe just including the materials put into the boat if would look expensive.

The blue H28 on trademe 'Tiptree' looks great with the new paintjob. A paint job on a 28' yacht is over $10k (Hull and decks) and probably $4k+ on the hull alone assuming not too much prep is required - and this wont be a top end job either.

Having owned an H28 in previous years, I found it did everything I wanted at a pace i was comfortable with sailing on my own. Have not sailed a Nova so could not offer a comparison, But as mentioned in previous posts here, if you buy cheap you will have ongoing issues, spend a bit of money get the right one and you will have loads of fun for not much money, I went to Fiji on one and we had so much fun we did it a few years later,well known as a 4kt State House but we were able to handle anything thrown at us.

I have sailed against fleets of 8 or so out of the Golden Bay about 20yrs back and we had so much fun it is good to see the fleet is still active

L4, the original quote was pretty scathing about the heritage of the women you took to those bays. But maybe you knew that already...

All are coruptable.........

My comments are similar to the other ex H28 owners --the H28 got me into "bigger" boat sailing --l learnt a lot , the boat forgave a lot of mistakes , my young kids enjoyed it and we never felt in danger --l sailed with friends to Barrier , across to Tutukaka and all around the gulf--great fun and always felt safe --doesn't go to windward to well and the 10 Hp Bukh always was reliable but as it was one cylinder always made me feel a little vulnerable .

The Auckland class association was fantastic , had an active racing calender and some really great courses --don't know what they do now but l enjoyed this aspect as well .

I really enjoyed the H28 , l like the style and design but moved onto something that was a bit more competitive (but still a caravan to some such as the 930 owner's --eh KM !! )

You will enjoy it , feel safe , get to where you want to go , be comfortable , but it won't be fast --4 adults on board--l would want to be good friends and be tolerant of each other !!

Andrew

That is a beautiful example and at a very good price.

There is no other boat that can give such value for money in entry level cruising in my opinion.

There are two types of H28. Timber version and GRP version. GRP tends to command the higher value and you would expect to see boats range from 28K at the very ruff end and 35K at a very well presented end. The 35K would also have to have a good condition engine. So 25K is very well priced, although I expect the engine is what has pegged the price back. The Buhk is a reliable starter and could do high hrs for it's smallness, but a very heavy lump of iron. It also had a reputation of dropping the flywheel off and the flywheel could do some damage as it bounced around inside. Many H28's have been fitted with bubba Yanama's which were a great replacement. But there are other small motors available as well. I would not consider rebiulding a Bukh today. Replacement with a small light weight second hand motor would be the way to go. I woul not consider new, it way over capitilises the boat. You could spend 10K for instance and still only get 25-30K if you sold the boat.

The timber H28 version is around the 20K to 25K range.

The GRP had a reputation of getting the pox. But it is not as bad as what some yards used to say. It looks like the Hull of the one you have linked too, may have had some treatment. The simplest treatment is knock the tops off the bubbles, fill with a filler, over coat with an Epoxy undercoat and Anti-foul. No biggy.

Resale....well although these are a cheap boat, i don't think you are going to lose much when resale time comes and you want to step up. Although it will depend on Sail and

engine condition at the time, even if the one above came down to 20K, you lost 5K. Try losing less with any other boat.

If this size is suitable and you don't want to break records, but want a comfortable wee cruiser, go for it. But if fast racing is the go, then there are also some very quick boats on the market now.

However in saying that, (I don't know) is there any H28 club that gets into H28 racing?? Cause that would be fun.

H28 2009 Race Summary - Handicap

Race #

Position

Tiptree

DNF

DNS

1st

http://www.h28.org.nz/Association/Auckl ... 8_2009.htm

Tiptree is a well known H28. I tried to post the results table from 2009 ..... didn't work but I'm sure that you can work it out that she came 1st on handicap. But she won't do too well against the other round the bouys boats - she's a cruiser, not a race boat. That said, if not hard on the wind, she'll do OK. The interior of some H's were done professionally and look better than Tiptree. She needs some work, but the work already done on her topsides show what can be done.

The H is a fine boat especially as a starter boat - mom and pop with a couple of kids. I find 4 adults just getting a bit crowded but 3 is great. I singlehand a lot and that is easy (except for the parking when windy!).

If you want a look around mine (Westhaven) you are welcome - just pm me.

Wheels - the H is not known for getting 'the pox' and this hull looks good (for a 30yr old hull).

Archived