Round NZ 2012 race - alternate short handed divsion

Before I go and propose something to SSANZ I thought I'd float it here first.

The RNZ is 2 handed and it will be great. A long race, a great adventure, etc.

Hopefully by then I'll be able to disappear for a few weeks. There is a Volvo in town about then so will need to check.

Which leads me to a suggested Division

Short handed Touring Division with crew by length.

eg up to 30 feet 3 people

Up to 40 feet 4 people

50 - 5, 60 - 6 etc.

And up to 1/2 the crew can swap out any one leg

So my Farr 1104 will have 4 people, I can enter knowing if I need to drop in or out at the last moment the boat can still compete, I can offer my partners and crew the same opportunity to be part of the race and so on.

The lengths can be "ish"", ie a Ross 40 is max 4 people, a Chico 31 is max 3 people but it would be fairly obvious.

I think it would also appeal to the Fast Tourer boats. They don't really want to go 2 up, but with a limited crew, it may be appealing to them.

Flame away

Jono

Flame away

Well seeing you asked for it......

Ah... errr... damn.

Nope can't sorry as I think that idea has legs and good ones. Good idea especially the bit about how it would allow more flexibility in who's aboard letting the boat go anyway. 2 up on a trek like that would put some off where having 3 or 4 aboard wouldn't.

It would also give a lot more people the opportunity to do the race so it would mean more boats and the chance for many people to experience 'offshore' or semi at least hence up the knowledge levels. Nothing bad with that.

And it's a very simple formula so even most yachties could grasp it.... after a while :twisted: ;)

Knot just a pretty face there Jono :D

Firstly I will declare that I'm on the race committee but only one voice.

Post away all your ideas

The biggest problem and the reason that we will be restricting numbers is that the ports of call cannot handle any larger fleets.

Already RPNYC are telling us that they probably won't be able to accommodate the whole fleet for RNI

I'm sure we can find room for a few RNI yachts at Seaview Marina, and fellow LBYC members would be happy to help out getting crew across the bay to RPNYC for festivities etc . :D

RPNYC will most certainly be able to accommodate all the boats in the RNI. We are working with Wellington City Council and will have all of Queens Wharf to berth/raft boats. As well we will have limited space in Chaffers Marina.

The aim is to bring the race to the city and to have a feel like the international round the world race stopovers have. So hopefully a bit more of a race village feel to it.

25 Yachts is a good number to deal with, and I think having this limit on the race has helped generate a lot more early interest, and get people organised.

You trying to get the boats right in by the Te Papa wharfie bit Herdy?

That would be cool and a nice show for the wondering punters. I do like what they have done with the waters edge down there. Far better than the bollix up this way.

Yes KM.

Inside the Tshaped wharf a bit further round from Te Papa. Where all the bars and cafes are.

For previous races we always used Chaffers Marina only. But it is now virtually full, and so alot harder to wander in and say I would like 25 to 30 berths for a 48 hour stopover somewhere between this date and that date. Up till now we have managed to secure the berths. It has got harder each race as the marina has filled up.

Also our idea is that RPNYC work with the council for the round the world races, why can't we use the same approach and facilities for such an iconic race as the RNI. Therefore the council are adding it into their summer city programme, and coming to the party to help us organise access to the wharf and a few other things.

We want to make the stopover better than it ever has been before.

Jono's idea certainly has merit, I would be more interested with another couple on the boat and the ability to change crew on the way round makes more people available.

You might find a lot of interest in a 2 handed round South Island at the same time. Logical to start and finish either Wellington or the Sounds. Start could tie in with when the round NZ boats are out off New Plymouth.

I think the killer for the round NZ will be the amount of time required off work to do the whole race- hence the advantage of ability to swap crew around.

For RNI was really 3 weeks, plus the week off each way for deliveries.

Pete

P.S Herdy- if we beat you into Wellington next year, does it mean we can flog your berth?

You might find a lot of interest in a 2 handed round South Island at the same time. Logical to start and finish either Wellington or the Sounds. Start could tie in with when the round NZ boats are out off New Plymouth.

I think the killer for the round NZ will be the amount of time required off work to do the whole race- hence the advantage of ability to swap crew around.

For RNI was really 3 weeks, plus the week off each way for deliveries.

Pete

P.S Herdy- if we beat you into Wellington next year, does it mean we can flog your berth?

Pete, RNZ is Auck-Manga-Oban-Napier-Auck

Time wise its 1250nm RNI and 2200nm RNZ so probably an extra week

(distances are approx and shouldn't be used for navigational purposes)

Yes you can have Herdy's berth but only if you beat us in

Danaide and Pete,

either one can have my berth. Highest bidder can have it. I intend being part of the race village at Queens Wharf. Thats where the party will most probably be. Start bidding when you are ready.

Do we look at a race inside a race option? SSANZ organise the RNZ, and a central OA to arrange a RSI race, so the boats sail together down the West Coast?

Just a thought.

I still like the idea and challenge of the RNZ being a two handed race. Not so sure about the short crewed option. Sorry Jono.

But I will offer an idea as another option. How about allowing a team entry in the RNZ. 5 Crew allowed to enter. Can only change one crew at each stopover. Then if people can't take time off, a boat can still enter, and it will also get more people involved in the race. (Just a thought)

Might have to line up with someone to do shore crew again. Done it twice, heaps of fun and the RPNYC always does it well.

Had the owner of the restaurant at Chaffers dancing on her own bar one night

That was a big night............ :thumbup:

If you read my original post I was referring to the premier prize being for 2 handed RNZ by the same crew all the way round, and the other Touring Division being for shorthanded crews. Rather than 5 per Herdy, I was suggesting crew limits relating to length of boat.

To date I've had some good feedback so may go to SSANZ with it.

Before I go and propose something to SSANZ I thought I'd float it here first.

The RNZ is 2 handed and it will be great. A long race, a great adventure, etc.

Hopefully by then I'll be able to disappear for a few weeks. There is a Volvo in town about then so will need to check.

Which leads me to a suggested Division

Short handed Touring Division with crew by length.

eg up to 30 feet 3 people

Up to 40 feet 4 people

50 - 5, 60 - 6 etc.

And up to 1/2 the crew can swap out any one leg

So my Farr 1104 will have 4 people, I can enter knowing if I need to drop in or out at the last moment the boat can still compete, I can offer my partners and crew the same opportunity to be part of the race and so on.

The lengths can be "ish"", ie a Ross 40 is max 4 people, a Chico 31 is max 3 people but it would be fairly obvious.

I think it would also appeal to the Fast Tourer boats. They don't really want to go 2 up, but with a limited crew, it may be appealing to them.

Flame away

Jono

Interesting discussion, the Trimaran G3 (soon to be Vodafone Sailing) is keen to do the race too, although at this stage SSANZ are saying no multis. I know 888 is keen also.

I would be keen to know who else may be keen either as a multi, or as a keeler either fully crewed or short crewed who may want to do the race as we are thinking of organising and alternate event.

Thoughts on how long is the ideal time to be off work? so number of leggs, length of stopover etc

Cheers Simon

021 926911

So I have had discussions with a few supposededly knowledgeable people. The consensus is that the 2 handed division needs to remain the premier division. There is a recognition that a Touring division may add to the character of the event and attract new people to short handed sailing. So, not a no, not a yes at this stage. I'm prepared to announce an entry to the Touring Division if it is accepted.

Archived