SIMRAD Entries Are Open

Fish

Interesting to see the changes this year.

They have introduced a small boat cruising division. I don't think this is a good idea as it will split the fleet. I'd rather see 30 boats racing together than half in one start, and the other half starting 5 minutes later.

They have lengthened the courses for smallboat race1 and race3. I think this is a good idea, as in these two races we finished well before most other divisions. Means we also get familiar with Shag island!

The smallboat cruising division is a trial for this year that comes from a request from competitors. In essence the smaller end of the Shorthaul cruising are becoming disillusioned with the percieved dominance of the big Elliott cruiser types. This gives the option to race a shorter course with their own type. It also allows the real "smallboats" an introductory division to get newbies out racing without worrying about extras.

You will notice an overlap in the PHRF's for the cruising divisions. This is deliberate... we want to see what the punters want before we adjust it for next year.

As far as smallboat course adjustments... now we have a good ammount of history we can see which divisions finish early or late and adjust accordingly hopefully reducing the time the finish crew need to be out there as they get too expensive to keep fuelled with rum...

Thanks for the explanation Cameron.

The two ideas on their own make sense. But put them together, and they may cancel each other out!

We may now see some 40 footers flying around the smallboat course, requiring the finish boat to be on station a few hours earlier. But maybe not - those towards the top end would probably go shorthaul. I guess we will see what happens...

They could have added a longhaul cruising division for the Elliots.....

However we might look at the small boat course, it would make a change and I've long hated the out and back of the 3rd race in the Shorthaul course.

Thanks for the explanation Cameron.

The two ideas on their own make sense. But put them together, and they may cancel each other out!

We may now see some 40 footers flying around the smallboat course, requiring the finish boat to be on station a few hours earlier. But maybe not - those towards the top end would probably go shorthaul. I guess we will see what happens...

Have a look at the PHRF cutoff's... there is overlap but not enough for flying 40 footers to do the smallboat course !

However we might look at the small boat course, it would make a change and I've long hated the out and back of the 3rd race in the Shorthaul course.

Coincidence you should say that. At the after match on Sunday of the SH boats there that are Simrading, and there is a lot of interest as expected, the majority did say their preference was for C2 over C1 in R3.

The general drift seemed to be it was a far more tactical course.

A couple said the tactics helped them keep awake. A couple of other boats, no names mentioned and it wasn't me this time, boats said that was easily fixed with equal proportions of rum and red bull :lol:

So we entered. And the payment option didn't work online. But the nice guys at SSANZ rang and got my money as easy as anything.

Now we had better pay some money to YNZ for a new hcp.

We will be fast this season. We have a new electric head. So when the coffee flows through, no one will be below for too long.......

This year all the piedys will be sporting hot pink div flags :roll: how come we drew the short straw ??? :P

cant wait we loved the races last year just need some money to spend on the boat to get it ready...

There has to be some benefit of organising instead of racing...

Now who should we give the pink flag to ? Yep the Piedy boys ! They'll want to look pretty ! *insert evil laugh*

Besides the committee are saving the rum flag for ourselves...

if any piedys want a crew for the first race, i am keen.

my dumb*ss cousin is taking his out this month for a repaint so we are probably going to miss the first race :x

Just got my do to list sorted...

buy handheld vhf, new flares and EPIRB

redo bobstay for prod

recut old no 1 and old spinnaker

hope we get an awesome send this year

Funny you should mention that.....

Here is the latest H/H VHF deal from Icom and available from one of the long term Crew advertisers

The M35 is groovy and new. Details below. I'll also offer the M33 to SSANZ for $370 instead of $399.

Both are waterproof and float.

See us at Safety at Sea - Westhaven's authorised Icom dealer.

Jono

Special Price $425 - RRP $480

M35 Details

What’s the difference to the IC-M33?

• NOISE CANCELLING MICROPHONE!

• SAME FLOATING CAPABILTIES!

• AUDIO BOOST FUNCTION!

• INSTANT “LOUD” BUTTON!

• GREAT FOR LOUD ENVIRONMENTS

The Idea behind the Small boat course cruising div is to encourage them that haven't yet tried 2handed sailing to have a play on a shorter track against boats of there own size and also for the one's that no longer wish to fly extras but are still keen to go for a sail.

So tell all them lot that never get around to doing it that there's no excuses now.

Also if it don't get the numbers it won't survive.

Archived