Wright 10

AGC

Hi all

I'm after a bit of home country advice. I jumped the channel a few years ago to escape the ravishing Helen Clark and colleges.

I've been hunting for 32-34 keeler along the EC of Aussie, preferably designed and built in the homeland.

At present I'm seriously looking at a Wright 10 constructed in 84 by Lotus yachts and then at some stage sailed across the Tasman to Queensland.

If there's anybody out there with first (even second) hand knowledge of Wright 10s or even Lotus builders I'd love to hear it.

Thanks heaps

Not so many of them built as the 10.6. Probably goes a little better upwind than a Lotus 10.6. Some very nice features built into them like the slide away traveller, tiller dropping into a cockpit floor recess, genoa tracks mounted in a small recess in the deck - one thing less to catch your toes on. Engine is for'd of the companionway so is in a good place balance wise.

Nice boats and I believe they were well built. Don't know if any were home built.

I believe they hold their value well and are quite a nicely balanced boat to sail.

Thanks gents

This is what I'm looking at

bd4635575104977451422.jpg

To me it seems very similar to a 1020 in hull shape (although slightly heavier, bow more plumb, might carry more beam?).

Differences being engine location which appears to be better for weight distribution and general access, gallery/nav station on opposite sides and 7/8 frac double spreader rig.

Has some nice features as you say AA, including molded toe rails. Has the original BUKH donk and SD unit but 60hrs since fully recond by BUKH.

Just so hard to get any build info on them compared to the Lotus 9.2 or 10.6. From what I understand about 40 were built?

Cheers

I spent New Years Eve on one quite a few years ago up at Kawau. Nice boat with a lot more beam/room than a 1020. There were probably 20 on board.

I don't remember much more, I woke up in my 1020 with my guitar floating in 6 inches of water in my dinghy. No idea how I got home. I missed new years day altogether.

Thanks for the info gents, very much appreciated.

We are now the new owner (subject to survey) of a Wright 10, and all this for less than $60k NZD, that's why I'm in Australia :roll:

Previous owners have been fantastic to deal with, you really do meet the best people in sailing.

Now just the 200nm delivery trip through the Keppel Islands and Whitsundays.................. :D

bd4635575104977451422.jpg

bd5047758364760974239.jpg

bd4930950439405814836.jpg

bd5257815252052712560.jpg

Is there a main "boats for sale" website in Australia to suss out bargains like this?

Yachthub and Boatpoint lists NZL and AUS boats.

Just be a little careful, for example some of the Farrs built over here (under licence) aren't a patch on the quality of the Kiwi built ones. The technology and production systems operating in Aus during that mid 80s-90s period lagged well behind that in NZ.

Anyway, every so often someone brings a good kiwi built boat across the Tasman :clap:

OTSTR - I suspect it's not going to be a 'bargain' given the NZL/AUS exchange rate at the moment.

Part of the 'bargain' here was the previous owner had bought a 40.7 Benny First and it's simply a buyers market, good time to trade up.

The Wright 11 is a pretty nice boat to, and quick, but I think not many built. http://www.racetrack.org.nz/designer.ph ... ignerid=13

We were winning the friday night races in Tonga with the D35 until Tuxedo Junction turned up (although we did beat them their first race). On closer inspection - Foam sandwich construction, rod rigging, 5.5 ton displacement and not under rigged like the D.

From what I've heard the price of boats in Aussie is taking a tumble, helped along by the number of people buying beneteaus/bravarias/lagoon's in the states bringing them back flooding the market 40ft+. I think the same thing happening in NZ but to a lesser extent.

Archived