EMTNZ BOAT 2

So does this rebuilt Oracle boat count as the 2nd of a 2 boat program or are the yanks stretching the rules to suit themselves again?

they couldn't rebuild wing 1 within the allowed repair limits

so that was a total loss of 1 of their 3 allowable wings

they were able to rebuild boat 1 within the allowed repair limits

so it has not limited their ability to build boat 2

Premature ejaculation there EE! :lol:

Big Russ, AKA winner of the AC three times for three nations, AKA a LEGEND, has not launched his second boat yet.

Unlike ETNZ. :D

So your saying they are behind schedule and cannot recover :problem:

Big Russ, AKA winner of the AC three times for three nations
Won 3.... only on paper. On the water it wasn't quite like in many ways.

Yes OR should be the large favourite going in. The question is can make the most of the huge advantage they gave themselves? Be a tad embarrassing if they can't.

Personally I disregard gimmes as they are just that. I suppose if you're desperate enuff you'll call anything you can a win.

I saw some major thrusting outside work today. Yes agree OR sure did drive themselves down into a hole but unlike the dudes by work today, your Russell blew his toy to bits :lol: :lol:

Russ decides to pick a windy day to test it to destruction (and learn stuff), with a view to rebuilding it to a Mk2 spec to trial new options/variant.

So boat 1 becomes two boats but is still one boat under the law.

And risk injuring or killing some very high profile sailors in the name of sport under the Oracle brand that would be assured to reach global headlines in the name of sport ? Any suggestion otherwise is just ludicrous.

I don't think so somehow SB - think about it, falling 60 feet onto carbon is not fun.

It was a screw up that they may or may knot have turned to their advantage.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Personally I disregard gimmes as they are just that. I suppose if you're desperate enuff you'll call anything you can a win.

I saw some major thrusting outside work today. Yes agree OR sure did drive themselves down into a hole but unlike the dudes by work today' date=' your Russell blew his toy to bits :lol: :lol:[/quote']

NZL32 a Gimme?... i don't think so! (even you were proud of that momet whenn we lifted the cup!)

3 wins is 3 wins. How many has Barker/Dalton had?

Anyway Russ is very smart. Consider this scenario KM...

Russ realised the first boat was not up to his high expectations and saw the ETNZ boat.

Russ decides to pick a windy day to test it to destruction (and learn stuff), with a view to rebuilding it to a Mk2 spec to trial new options/variant.

So boat 1 becomes two boats but is still one boat under the law.

Russ sails the boat 1 AKA2 to test MK2 mods and still has time to introduce these mods to BOAT 2 (which is really Boat 3).

So while ETNZ is shipping boat 2 Russ is tweaking boat 2 (nee 1) and modding boat 3 (nee 2)

absofurkenlutly Brilliant! :D :clap: :clap:

:wave:

Yup, and destroying 1/3 of their wing allocation and 3/4 of their 2012 testing was all part of the plan also i'm sure. Sounds like a slick plan to me. All over it.

Looks like they may have to bite the bullet and put some structure under that thing. That or go foil assist only.

No way they can successfully foil this design

So with regards to Oracle sailing in that video, they obviously have foil elements on their boards, but in none of those shots did it look like the leeward hull was being lifted out of the water onto the foils. In that case, if the foil elements aren't providing enough lift to get the hull out of the water and reduce hull drag, is it worth having there? Surely a foiling element produces its own drag and increases wetted surface area so if it's not lifting the hull out of the water to reduce hull drag (and therefore an overall drag reduction), is it actually of benefit?

So with regards to Oracle sailing in that video, they obviously have foil elements on their boards, but in none of those shots did it look like the leeward hull was being lifted out of the water onto the foils. In that case, if the foil elements aren't providing enough lift to get the hull out of the water and reduce hull drag, is it worth having there? Surely a foiling element produces its own drag and increases wetted surface area so if it's not lifting the hull out of the water to reduce hull drag (and therefore an overall drag reduction), is it actually of benefit?

Take a look at a speed photo taken since.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attach ... -speed.jpg

Oracle is in speed, and ETNZ is out and having problems. The s has been reduced on ETNZ

Take a look at a speed photo taken since.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attach ... -speed.jpg

Oracle is in speed, and ETNZ is out and having problems. The s has been reduced on ETNZ

Perhaps Phil point us to some video of sustained stable foiling rather than 1/1000 of a second when the shutter opened and it was in trim. Having seen video, sustained foiling isn't one of their fortes (strengths Phil).

Also what 'problems' (plural meaning more than one) are you referring to Phil, since you point them out perhaps you could elaborate? Or perhaps you wont and claim its obvious and any idiot can see....which is obvious....

Glad our one floats tho, that's handy. It looks great on the water.

Man you couldn't be more wrong. ETNZ was out today absolutely ripping on foils in less than 10 knots!!!

OR cant foil for sh*t and they have openly admitted to " learning how to foil"

ETNZ knew how to foil even before building the 72 :P

and here is the video of their 1st day sailing in boat 2. I was thinking that EMTNZ weakness would be sailing in the light stuff but this is great to see them foiling in less then 15 knots which might prove its a good allround boat :?: :?:

First day sailing new boat... looks good in not that much breeze. Photo credit Chris Cameron/ETNZ

one noticeable change is the curve in the boards.

They are less curved and more like Oracles than the last boat.

Good spotting.The correct term is the S in the cured dagger boards I bought to your attention in my previous post.

Just to clarify for future mocking and "I told you so"s.

Summer Breeze and Phil believe that Oracle will defend successfully?

If they raced ETNZ tomorrow, who do you think would win?

A realise a lot can change in 6 months, but right NOW, ETNZ look to me to be ahead of the others.

I am not picking a winner for the cup, but would be suprised if the match was NOT ETNZ vs Oracle.

Archived