RNZYS Auckland to Musket Cove Race - Starts 1 June

Zoe

Our fleet may be small but it's no less exciting and I'm very pleased to bring you a run down on who is who - although we had news last night that Atom Ant may not make it. They are working hard to try to finalise things to enable them to start with us next week.

There will also be a Sail Online version of the race for anyone keen to test their strategic nouse.

The Race Page on the RNZYS website is:

http://www.rnzys.org.nz/Sailing/MajorRe ... fault.aspx

=======

Clock main opponent for Musket Cove ocean race fleet

With no two boats being alike in the Auckland to Musket Cove, Fiji Ocean Race starting on 1 June, every member of the fleet will be racing the clock.

Starting with the quickest, the fleet’s only multihull, TeamVodafoneSailing set the race record of 103 hours and 20 minutes two years ago, but conditions were light that year, and the big red trimaran hopes to shave hours if not days off its best time on the Musket Cove course in 2013.

TeamVodafoneSailing is 60 foot long, 60 foot wide, and is a proven, seaworthy and race hardened vessel that dwarfs the other starters. It would take gear failure or bad tactical decisions for any of the keelboats to beat TeamVodafoneSailing to Fiji, but in sailing you never say never, and there are are three potential contenders for this honour:

Full story here:

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ef7 ... 9205f439ee

Looking forward to following the race! Hope it goes really well Zoe :-)

Sucks about Atom Ant, but hey, that happens. Hopefully you can get them onto the start line.

Thanks Suellen! It's going to be a great race! I feel it in my bones.

AWESOME!!!! Don't let anyone bring you down. The race will be as big as you make it!!!

Why do you keep calling me Suellen... Who is this Suellen you speak of ;-)

I've done a bit of homework on it now. Just a bit of paper work for cat 1 .

Being sorted today hopefully. I think they will be on the start line. :thumbup:

Oh thanks guys, yes it sounds like they are well on to it. I think we are going to hear a lot about Cory in the future somehow - and Edwin.

I am working with PredictWind to do some weather routing prior to the race - I'll get it together in a few days time and post the findings here and other places.

There will also be a Sailonline version of the race for those that are that way inclined.

Atom Ant clear to go. Surely nothing else will get in their way.

Good luck guys :thumbup:

New solid dodger going on the boat tomorrow.

Awesome about Atom Ant! Well done.

We are using Yellowbrick trackers and it'll be up closer to the race, Jacaranda. No RNZYS ocean race to Fiji for next year but all the info will be up in plenty of time Jacaranda, just like it was this year, and yes sailors from other clubs can very definitely enter.

Both clubs are working hard to create a good race, so let's leave it there and focus on the entrants and the challenge coming up.

Thats a shame about Atom Ant - why have they had to withdraw?

What/Who is Venture2? Is it another boat been renamed or a new boat to NZ?

What/Who is Venture2? Is it another boat been renamed or a new boat to NZ?

It was called Southern Man in a different configuration/time

Archived