Life Jacket - fines for rowing ashore?

Clive

Hi All,

I heard on the grapevine that the Coromandel Harbour Master was fining people for using their tenders while not wearing a life jacket.

From what I can see this is not true as in the 2009 by-law it is up to the skipper but the new 2013 by-law it will be mandatory.

I am not sure if this new by-law has been passed yet.

http://www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/PageFi ... w_2013.pdf

Anyone know any different?

I also see the Coastguard has approved it.

Are we to be fined for rowing ashore from our boat to the beach or for rowing from boat to boat while in a safe anchorage?

If you need to wear a life jacket in your tender then please do so but please do not enforce me to when I do not think it necessary.

My understanding is that yes, you'll be required to wear lifejacket in both those situations. It's stupid, although well in'tended I guess. If you jump out of the dingy, that's ok - swimmers don't need lifejackets!

Agree with you Vagabond - unless in rough conditions a lifejacket in a tender is totally unnecessary especially in inflatable type boats with built in buoyancy. I think the law says you are meant to carry lifejackets in your tender but that also is a pain as they can get damaged lying around in the bottom of the boat or stolen when you go ashore. I have been up the Coro creek several times and not had a problem to date with the harbourmaster. The last time was in January so I guess things may have changed since then.

This whole deal makes me very angry as after boating for over 50years I think I have the knowledge and experience to make up my own mind about what is risky and what is not.

When I see small overloaded runaboats heading out to sea fishing even though gales have been forecast and drownings result I shake my head and think the authorities have it all wrong when they pass this blanket type legislation. No laws will stop such people killing themselves.

Interesting

Means of communication

Every skipper shall carry on board their vessel at least one means of communication that:

a) has the ability to communicate with a land based person from any area where the vessel is intended to be operated;

B) has sufficient coverage and power to operate for the actual duration of the voyage; and

c) if the vessel is 6 metres or less in length, is either waterproof or is carried in a waterproofed bag or container.

Vessel

every description of a boat or a craft used in navigation on the water, whether or not it has any means of propulsion; and includes:

a) a barge, lighter, or other like vessel

B) a hovercraft or other thing deriving full or partial support in the

atmosphere from the reaction of air against the surface of the water

over which it operates

c) a submarine or other submersible

d) a seaplane while on the surface of the water

e) a raft; or

f) a kite board, sail board or paddle board but does not include a

surfboard

How many kite boarders, sail boarders, paddle boarders carry their cellphone/vhf?. Or is communication in forms other than words okay, e.g. signalling mirror, horn, whistle, morse code, signalling

So much there for the law of unintended consequences, Another catch all law that will make criminals out of all of us, We need an iwi division so we can demand direct consultation.

Those we have delegated our authority to are either won over by the powers that be, or are just basically incompetent and uninterested in how things work in real life.

i'll be swiming my dinghy ashore from now on! :crazy: :crazy:

Interesting

Means of communication

. Or is communication in forms other than words okay, e.g. signalling mirror, horn, whistle, morse code, signalling

I can't speak for other regions but in Wellington, if its appropriate for what you are doing, Yes.

"Means of Communication" can be interpreted as means of attracting attention, eg a whistle on a kayak paddling around Evans bay or Oriental Bay is fine, if you're in the middle of cook strait its not.

How about the part that requires vessels under 4m to have owners name and contact details visible in the vessel? I don't comply with my tender... :thumbdown:

I have emailed the Coastguard, YNZ and AYBA asking what their position on the mandatory wearing of life jackets is.

We need to be heard and get a clause in to enable us to make up our own mind. If enough of us object then something can be done.

Hi,

Please can you give me the YNZ's position on the mandatory wearing of life jackets when using a tender.

Example: using the tender to row between two anchored yachts in a sheltered anchorage or rowing to and from a beach to an anchored yacht in a sheltered anchorage.

A tender being in the region of 2-4 mtrs long.

thanks,

Clive.

Hi All,

I heard on the grapevine that the Coromandel Harbour Master was fining people for using their tenders while not wearing a life jacket.

Need to organize a group-buy on T-Shirts printed with inflatable PFDs.

Need to organize a group-buy on T-Shirts printed with inflatable PFDs.

:lol: :thumbup:

Along with filling out a survey we need YNZ, AYBA, and our local clubs behind us.

Just had some excellent responses back from YNZ and AYBA.

They are behind us on this and are working to halt this legislation.

What can we do? Over to Andrew form YNZ.

Hi Clive,

I would suggest that Coastguard members should let exec/management know if the organisation is representing them in a way they do not think is in the best interest of boating – like we would expect people to do with YNZ. Certainly requiring lifejackets to be worn all the time has a lot of unintended consequences. I’m not sure there is much anyone can do about the Waikato Bylaws now. In Auckland, certainly keep an eye out for when the proposed new Navigation Safety Bylaws are put out for consultation and get involved with the submission/hearing process, as well as making sure others know that it is happening. YNZ will be doing the same.

Cheers

Andrew

If you are a Coastguard member email David and Neil to ask them to re-consider their support for the blanket legislation as they were for the Waikato 2013 Navigation Safety Bylaw Rev (with S274s only)

The Coastguard will have a lot of sway with this legislation.

Email them, David is our Northern Rep and Neil is the Coastguard Boating Education Rep (He was for the Waikato Bylaws )

david.tommas@coastguard.org.nz

neil@cbes.org.nz

This is what I wrote:

Hi David/Neil,

As a Coastguard member I would like to make it known that I am against

Coastguard Boating Education agreeing to the new Waikato 2013

Navigation Safety Bylaw Rev (with S274s only).

I personally would like to see a clause added to exclude the mandatory

wearing of life jackets in a yacht tender unless the skipper sees fit.

Example: using the tender to row between two anchored yachts in a

sheltered anchorage or rowing to and from a beach to an anchored

yacht.

Would you consider this as Auckland may follow suit and you will no

doubt be asked for your opinion. YNZ, AYBA are also behind

this exclusion.

Regards,

Is that the only exclusion?

It seems to me that this legislation is trying to take decision making away from the Skipper, where it belongs. It is an 85 page document! And these are regional rules, there are still national rules and international rules on top. Virtually no boaties will be completely up to date with all this, and therefore vulnerable to prosecution. It's ludicrous! AND it won't stop the idiots drowning themselves...

Archived