Loadcell/ Tension measurement

smithy09

Its dead simple to use.

Its very interesting finding out what everything weighs. I was told my boat was 700kg. Well the hull and keel is but by the time you add everything you need to go sailing it soon adds up to 850kg.

That includes 50kg of dry sails so I imagine they could be 80kg wet! 10% of the boats weight!

Matt has finished breaking things with the loadcell down in Wellington, so if anyone wants to use it, PM me your address and I'll get him to courier it directly to you. Hopefully some photos of Matt's Test rig to come.

Yours is just like mine Smithy... only smaller. You can hook that head into a Data Logger or we can and your head does look just like mine. We are close as finishing a new smaller test bead for upto 15,000kg. Finding it tricky playing with the smaller items with 200,000kg ram on the big bed. Most stuff under 10mm has blown to bits before you can even blink. Now we'll get to see it all happen in slower motion.

What was Matt trying to suss?

I think I may have done business with you before KM. We destruction tested some crane scales we made on a test rig. Is this your machine??

Matt was destruction testing some carbon fibre stays of some sort...

5t Pro-lift test-4.jpg

Nope, knot quite that flash :) Mind you that ram is a lot smaller.

Don't know what they were testing there but it looks like a few mis-matched components. Can't have been going for a big load though, a small 2T hook in the mix there by the looks.

I busted some SK90 Dyneema yesterday, that was fun. Took 1645kg to bust a bit of 3mm string, knot too shabby. We didn't really see the failure happen hence the need for a smaller test rig. We like to watch and see how the failure happens even if it does happen at the right load in the right place. You can learn a lot by just how things comes apart.

Chinese chain is fun. We run a sweepstake on how many welds that are under the galv aren't actually welded and just how many links open at the weld before it totally fails.

We do enjoy busting shite :lol:

Hahaha. Yeah I enjoy busting stuff as well. If you are not "seeing" the max strain on your loadcell, then you need a "peak hold" function which stores the max force seen. My rig has peak hold..

OK, this place was called "Chain and Rigging" or similar. The Hook was 5t SWL. Our Crane scale was 5000kg capacity, designed and made by me. The loadcell stretched at 10,000kg and the Rod end bearing snapped at just over that... I wasn't prepared to design, build and sell a crane scale without destruction testing the components... You will see a few of my crane scales at Southern Spars if you are ever in there buying a full Carbon rig for the Ross... :D :D

We've got peak load and all that stuff on the cells, it's more the way the item physically comes apart when getting nailed. Take splicing for example. A splice can be done/finished in a few differing ways which can and often does have a impact on the ropes loads and behaviour. By being able to physically watch the varying stages of a splice failure we can see what splices do what to what ropes and tweak accordingly.

In the new little rig we have a manual ram option which we can move 1mm there abouts, fingers crossed, at a time then hold. Super slow motion destruction... Oh yeah.

I thought it was C&R's rig. Damn nice bit of kit that one and probably the best or 2nd best rig in NZ, but knot the biggest. 158,000 kilo pull, how can you knot love that :lol:

Ah only a 10t test, ya didn't even get that rig breathing heavy.

Aha! I understand now.

Yes it was a nice bit of kit and they were very obliging from what I recall. It was interesting to see what failed as the ultimate rating of the loadcell was 200%, ie 10,000kg, and the rod ends were rated at 7500kg ultimate. The rod ends were the first to go... I easn't worried about the hooks and shackles as they were rated lifting gear with huge reserves.. And so it proved as I could still undo the shackles after the test..

A 150t destructive test would have to be a bit of fun!! :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for that Travellnman. I think about 400mm x 300mm x 200mm deep would be just fine. I don't want it too big, as the courier charges will just go up. If you've got something close it would be much appreciated! Ta.

I've just caught up on this.

I wouldn't mind a loan to have a play with tethers and jack line breaking.

We've got a few old sets of jacklines and a couple of dodgy looking tethers we want to break.

Safety at Sea

79 Gaunt St

Wethaven

Auckland 1010

THere is plenty of storage, and I'll share some photos.

Jono

Archived